Home Stamps Forum
Options

How would you grade the back of this stamp!(new Pic)

This stamp is 90 years old. was sold to me as a Never hinged stamp. The gum covers the whole back and none is removed or discolored. this picture is quite accurate

Comments

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    disturbed gum, maybe hinged at one time
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Very difficult to tell from a photo. From pic, it looks like a regum(RG), but one would have to view the perfs in person to determine an RG. Assuming it is original gum(OG), is that a hinge remnant(HR) or hinge mark(hinged or H). Gum looks crazed and missing in some spots.

Here are some common abbreviations concerning gum:
    DG, DIST GM Disturbed Gum
    DOG Disturbed Original Gum
    H Hinged
    HH Heavily Hinged
    HR Hinge remnants
    HHR Heavily Hinged with Hinge Remnant(s) Remaining
    HRMT Hinged with Hinge Remnant(s) Remaining
    IWOG Issued Without Gum
    LH Lightly Hinged, being only with a slight impression on a small area of the original gum to indicate a careful removal of the hinge
    NG No Gum
    NGAI No Gum As Isssued (used only if the stamp is issued without gum)
    NGC Natural Gum Crease
    NGS Natural Gum Skips
    NH Never Hinged (Unmounted Mint), with the original gum being free from any disturbance or marring
    OG Original Gum
    PAG Paper Adheres to Gum
    Part OG, POG Part Original Gum, with 50%-or-more of the original gum being intact
    RG Regummed
    Small Part OG Small Part Original Gum, with less than 50% of the original gum being intact
    UM, U/M Unmounted Mint (Never Hinged), with the original gum being free from any disturbance or marring
    VLH Very Lightly Hinged
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Dude! You must be joking?

<< <i>Here are some common abbreviations concerning gum:
    DG, DIST GM Disturbed Gum
    DOG Disturbed Original Gum
    H Hinged
    HH Heavily Hinged
    HR Hinge remnants
    HHR Heavily Hinged with Hinge Remnant(s) Remaining
    HRMT Hinged with Hinge Remnant(s) Remaining
    IWOG Issued Without Gum
    LH Lightly Hinged, being only with a slight impression on a small area of the original gum to indicate a careful removal of the hinge
    NG No Gum
    NGAI No Gum As Isssued (used only if the stamp is issued without gum)
    NGC Natural Gum Crease
    NGS Natural Gum Skips
    NH Never Hinged (Unmounted Mint), with the original gum being free from any disturbance or marring
    OG Original Gum
    PAG Paper Adheres to Gum
    Part OG, POG Part Original Gum, with 50%-or-more of the original gum being intact
    RG Regummed
    Small Part OG Small Part Original Gum, with less than 50% of the original gum being intact
    UM, U/M Unmounted Mint (Never Hinged), with the original gum being free from any disturbance or marring
    VLH Very Lightly Hinged >>

PURPLE!

• Options
    Thanks Doug for the tips. The part that looks hinged is not indented at all. It seems to me that the gum has shifted due to humidity or something. IT's tough to say. I'm leaning more towards disturbed gum. Most of the stamps I see hinged seem to be bleeded through the gum and paper exposed or gum discolored.

This picture is at an angle to show all of the disturbances on the back. Though the gum remains flat.

• Options
    I can't believe there is that many. You would think it would be somewhat widdle down.

PURPLE!
  • Options
    Heres another pick.
  • Options
    While we are on the subject. Here is one of mine.

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    There are many abbreviations used in stamp collecting and everyone may use a different one. Some dealers will use stars or dots for hinged or never hinged.

Frnallstar, its just too hard to tell from the pic, but I agree with smittys that it looks lightly hinged. Its also the same shape as older hinges. We could be wrong though. Either way, hope you didn't pay a mnh price as the gum defects will bring down the price.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>While we are on the subject. Here is one of mine.

image >>

Oooh...I'm gonna need one of those...

*goes to eBay*

• Options
    Stamps are just plain fun. The antagonism that pops up with coins from time to time just isn't there with stamps.

Jerry
  • Options
    unlicked.
  • Options
    I don't see any picture in FRNAllStar's posts.

Jerry
  • Options
    Thats because I've deleted them. They were there for about 3 weeks.