Home Metal Detecting
Options

What's your "sales pitch" for detecting private property?

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to think that while "knowing your detector, etc. etc." is important for making good finds, the ability to find and get permission to hunt good sites is at least as important..

I think I have the research side of things covered, but how do you go about getting permission to hunt it, e.g. private yards? Do you suggest sharing the loot with the owner? How to get them excited about what treasures may be buried there?
In brief, how do you get the owner to say "Yes" (and ideally even get excited about it and maybe put in a word for you with his neighbours/friends??? image

Thanks for any ideas!!

-Z (green with envy following some recent finds on the board) imageimage
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>Do you suggest sharing the loot with the owner? >>

This helps Zot. I tell them they can have the pick of the litter and If I find anything valuable we split it.
    Offer to let them go with you. Look clean and dig clean. Ask many and don't get discouraged if you get shot down. You may only get permission for 1 in 10.
  • Options
    I was thinking of this same question last night. One thing people worry about, especially if it is a property owned by a business, is insurance and liability should you be hurt, hurt someone else or damage their property. I would think some sort of well written "hold harmless agreement" and adequate liability insurance will help. I read in an article recently where a MD dealer and a factory rep were out in a local park to test a new detector. They hit on a signal that sounded good and started to dig it. As they uncovered it it looked to be brass or bronze and worked to remove it from the ground only to have all the sprinklers in the park come on and effectively clearing out the park of all visitors. As a result of that incident, the park is now off-limits to MD. The only reasons I can practically think of that someone wouldn't want you to dig their property would be - Fear of you since you are a stranger. Fear of their property being dug full of holes. Fear of you getting hurt and suing them.

One thing I mention to those few I have asked for and received permission from, is that any finds that hold historically significant value would be offered to the local historical society for inclusion in their museum.
  • Options
    go here
    It's info on that topic and a draft letter to get permission.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, some good pointers in that one!
    Just an observation, the US seems to be a lot heavier in the paperwork department in such requests.
    Over here, any forms would probably scare off the owner completely by making it all look extremely formal, they'd fear getting in trouble rather than staying out of it..
    Suing people/companies for damages is not at a very advanced stage here I suppose.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    I usually introduce myself, and present them with a business card:

( I was going to put a pic of my business card here, but decided against it)

Then I explain that I have a hobby that has really been a fun and relaxing one over the years. I take a coin or two and some jewelry to show them what type of things can be found. Most of the time they will be receptive and with the business card, they know I am local, and they have a reference, and usually puts them at ease. I never offer to share items, but they usually ask first. Jewely and items like that, though, I will offer to the home owner anyway. Coins and rare items that may come up are discussed and they get first choice.....it sucks sometimes, but it will often times open other opportunities with their friends...so far it has worked....