Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss at 99.24% - 5 cards to go

Posted this on the Vintage Board but thought I 'd put it here also:

Currently sitting at 99.24% on my 1984 Donruss basic set in PSA 9/10. I need the following 5 raw cards MINT and centered for submitting:

210 - Al Bumbry
480 - Joel Youngblood
482 - Mike Fitzgerald
539 - Alan Ashby
546 - Vance Law

I have these in 8's but won't include them to finish it off. They were borderline for centering and didn't make the cut. A few people are looking for me, but I'd like a few examples of each to increase my chances. Hopefully with help I can hit 100% before the end of October. Am also interested in the remaining Diamond Kings need for the master set. Check out what I need under set name "Summer of 84D - master".

PM me with what you may have. Very interested in black background scans of the 5 needed. Here's my definition of a MINT 84D:

Thanks, Bill

Comments

• Options
    Great job! I always loved that set and surprisingly, it's one of the few from the 80s that I bought very little of.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Good luck Bill!

As you know, I'm sitting at around 92% basic & 89% master and it's been a LONG haul! image

I've got an Al Bumbry that I'm going to be submitting soon along with a couple of other cards that I need for the set. We'll see how those come back.

I might not make it to that 100% because I'm really focusing on my others sets and have already received several offers to take the set off of my hands. It's really one of those sets that is beautiful to look at! Best of the 80's as far as I'm concerned.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Hi- Arny Vee-- If you are ever breaking the set,, you have( 3 )10's 84D(Texas Rangers) I need.. I have followed the 72 thread some, and now this 84-- I collect Texas Rangers --I go by Rangerman in the Registry and fre013golf on ebay.. Take care and thanks---- Tony
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Arny,
    I hope you don't sell but totally understand if you do. Let me know about the Bumbry or others of interest. I could use a few of your DK's for the master set and will pay a very fair price if you want to sell them.
    Bill
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great set 1984 Donruss is! I will be working it raw in the near future! BOTR, good luck in finishing the master set the way you want it.

Dan

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Bill & RangerMan, I'll keep you guys posted via this thread or PMs on whether I decide to sell and if I decide to break it to sell off those particular cards. Bill, are you looking for only the cards that you're missing or upgrades as well?

I love the set, just might not be able to keep all these irons in the fire.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Bill, this is the best Bumbry that I had. Do you think that it'll go for a 9 at least?

By the way, the sides are perfectly straight, not sure why it looks wavy in the pic.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I'm looking for Tigers from this set if anyone is breaking up their set.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Arny,
    That's a sweet Bumbry - it should easily 9 based on the scan, and a 10 is not out of the question. I've seen worse 10's. Let me know how it grades. As far as upgrading my set, I'm more interesting in finishing the basic/master in 9/10 than adding 10's for GPA sake, BUT I have been adding 10's if justifiable. (Frankly, many of the 9's I have are on par with, or better, than their counterpart 10's.)

Based on the border width, was the Bumbry from wax/rack?

Bill
    ps) keep me informed on your set status!

• Options
    just broke my 84 Donruss set...."Floyd's 184 Donruss Retirement Set"....lot of 9's and 10's to go around....besides the set..I have another 30-40 dupes laying around..

for those who asked above....I have these...

Rangers PSA 10's : 134, 343,465 PSA 9's: 98,159,256 and 342

Tigers PSA 10's: 415 PSA 9's: 49,105,150 and 272

Also have 200+ 1984 Topps 9's and 10's.....most not in registered sets yet..
  • Options
    5STAT-- I have the 84 Donruss --- I also need 84TOPPS in PSA 9 & 10 (TEX Rangers)
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Hi, if you provide me with directions on how to add photo's to this forum I can add an Ashby and Law for you to look at. They are from a factory set I put in plastic back in 84. I've had several cards graded from this set and have gotten back some 10's which I've sold and many 9's. Or if you want send me a message at alnavman@sbcglobal.net and I'll send you scans. Unfortunately the other cards you listed are all off center in the set I have.....that set was terrible on centering..
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    hey bill
    i'm glad to finally find out who #1 is . thats some set you've put together. i am sitting behind you guys in 4th place .
    arny dont get out of 84donruss!!!

i'm always looking for 10's i need for my set
    Bob
  • Options
    Rangerman: looked at the 84 Topps....came up empty.....sorry....lots of dupes....now if you collected Reds-Yankees or A's..we'd have something..LOTS of those....
  • Options
    rvc,
    You're the man for assembling almost 70% in psa 10! Noticed you've been kinda quiet lately on additions: is it just finding the 10's you don't have or other interests? I hope you keep plugging away on this set! It's gotta be a beauty at an eye-popping 10.0 Gpa!

alnavman,
    send jpgs to me at bdavidson@prodigy.net and I'll post them here. If you've had them away since '84, hopefully the corners are intact as new and sounds like the centering is primo.

5STAT - don't forget about me......

Bill
  • Options
    Maybe it's time to start an 'official 1984 donruss thread' or do we have enough unoffical offical threads?!?!?
    Bill
  • Options
    I will admit to a certain growing affection for this set. You guys make up the cream of the crop, wholely responsible for most of the truly premium PSA 1984 Donruss cards accumulated on the Registry so far.
    I , for one would enjoy a 84' Donruss dedicated thread and might find myself dragged into this for the fun of it.

For anyone casually checking in here, 1984 Donruss photography is classic; just check out some of the impressive scans here so far.
    I believe that Donruss stylized these cards in a carefully chosen placement of accent colors, and the stark white and aquamarine reverse is whistle clean.

This is one heck of a 80's issue!

If I manage to get a few more cheap Gemmies from this set I may count myself in!
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Thanks for checking, 5Stat........ I have a Texas Rangers team set going- all PSA 10s- have 15 so far. When Cosetta & the staff get to it later this year, they will enter an '84Donruss/Topps combined Ranger team on the registry. The 84 Donruss is a classic, IMHO.. The Mattingly rookie gave great instant credit to the set. If I wasn't so into my 30 something Ranger, Senator & Ryan team/player sets , I'd give hard thought to the 84D registry set. I will check back here and try to keep this nice thread alive with you:-))
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    Ray and others:

I'll start an unoffical "offical" 1984 Donruss thread; it will be up to us and hopefully more to keep it going. I KNOW there's a lot of interest based on general conversation ever since being a member here since 2002.

Please join in and tag along for the ride. Given the interest with other sets and offical threads there's no reason whatsoever to let the best set of the 80's (IMO) sit on the sidelines.

So I'll start, and throw in some great eye candy! See you there................

Enjoy, Bill
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    5STAT
    Thanks for looking up the Donruss Tigers for me, but I have those already. I'm also doing the 84 Topps Tigers set, please let me know what you have!
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    5Stat, need to turn on your PM. Also looking for 84 Topps PSA 9s or 10s. Sorry to the Donruss collectors.

Stingray
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Hi alnavman here again. thanks bug in the rug....I mailed you scans of the Law and Ashby cards.....for anyone else trying to finish the set I have a factory set I broke and put in plastic....if anyone wants me to check for particular cards let me know.....and to answer a question I saw, the centering on many of the cards is terrible. If anyone needs them I have the following already graded PSA 9 MINT with no qualifiers: 574 Storman Gorman Thomas, 26 Wade Boggs Diamond Kings (it's mislabeled as the Steel versiion but it isn't), 563 Brian Giles, 516 Aurelio Lopez, 500 Bob Johnson, 28 Tom Dunbar, 45 Brian Dayett, 40 Mike Fuentes 473 Ted Simmons, 146 Jim Acker and 71 Dave Stieb and for those who love it when someone makes a mistake on cards I have a Dennis Eckersley PSA 2 GOOD...should have looked at that one closer before submitting!! Also it's been awhile since I was participating in the forums so if I'm out of place with this message PLEASE someone let me know..... thanks al.
  • Options
    Al,
    Got your cards today - thanks! And thanks for including the dk Steele's!

Unfortunately, I dont' think the Ashby, Law, and Stenhouse cards will meet 9 centering requirements. Law has the best chance but it has the typical T/B centering issues. In it's favor the focus is superb, which is usually not the case with this particular card. IMO there's just enough O/C to warrant an 8 on all three.

However, 4 of the dk's you sent should easily 9, two or three of the others may 9 but won't count on it, and the Castino is nice enough to 10.

I'll be submitting them sometime this month and will get the results back to you. Any 9's or 10's I get from these will provide you with some 'cha-ching' in your pocket. I'll let you know when I get the results.

Thanks again Al..........Bill

ps) send a scan of the STEELE unmarked checklist if worthy.....................

• Options
    Al, if you could, please post to the "official" '84 Donruss thread (Click Here For Official '84 Donruss Thread), but the cards that I'm needing for my sets are the following....

R.Yount DK (Steele)
    D.Concepcion DK (Steele)
    J.Castino DK (Steele)
    L.Durham DK (Steele)
    J.Clark DK (Steele)
    D.Dravecky DK (Steel)
    D.Dravecky DK (Steele)
    A.Oliver DK (Steele)
    H.McCrae DK (Steel)
    R.Knight DK (Steele)
    B.Sutter DK (Steele)
    B.Horner DK (Steele)
    Lance Parrish DK (Steele)
    M.Young DK (Steel)
    M.Young DK (Steele)
    F.Lynn DK (Steele)
    R.Kittle DK (Steele)
    B.Madlock DK (Steele)
    Larry Parrish DK (Steel)
    Larry Parrish DK (Steele)
    E.Murray DK (Steel)
    M.Schmidt DK (Steel)
    P.Guerrero DK (Steele)
    W.Boggs DK (Steel)
    #29 Mike Stenhouse (Number on Back)
    #65 Jack Clark
    #119 Jim Clancy
    #129 Bert Blyleven
    #169 Mike Flanagan
    #170 Rick Manning
    #172 Jerry Remy
    #173 Ron Guidry
    #179 Bobby Grich
    #187 Greg Minton
    #209 Bobby Ramos
    #210 Al Bumbry
    #211 Mark Brouhard
    #217 M.Armstrong
    #224 Chris Bando
    #228 John Lowenstein
    #230 Doug Decinces
    #234 J.Bonilla
    #236 Atlee Hammaker
    #238 Keith Hernandez
    #337 Joe Beckwith
    #351 Cecil Cooper
    #428 Mario Soto
    #435 E.Nunez
    #437 Ernie Whitt
    #441 Craig Swan
    #442 Warren Brusstar
    #447 Ted Power
    #456 Enos Cabell
    #471 Milt Wilcox
    #472 Tino Martinez
    #480 Joel Youngblood
    #481 Jim Slaton
    #482 Mike Fitzgerald
    #535 Bob Horner
    #537 Chris Chambliss
    #539 Alan Ashby
    #544 Danny Darwin
    #546 Vance Law
    #547 Tug McGraw
    #550 Tom Hume
    #554 Rusty Staub
    #557 Dave Henderson
    #558 Len Whitehouse
    #575 Manny Trillo
    #580 Bill Doran
    #582 Dan Spillner
    #590 Bud Anderson
    #597 L.Sanchez
    #605 Alfredo Griffin
    #637 Omar Moreno
    Checklist DK 1-26 (Steel)

.....so, that's it. If anyone has those cards in "PSA 9 shape" or better please let me know and we'll make arrangements. For those of you that aren't sure of what "PSA 9 shape" is, please check the thread that I linked on this post and the very first post details it really well. Thanks!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    awesome set Bug!
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    ttt.

Al made a nice contribution of DK's for my master set. I have a Bumbry that may 9, but still need the 4 others. C'mon guys.......those 210,480,482,539,546 cards are out there somewhere in solid Mint 9 condition!!!!!

PM me with any info

Bill