Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Build A Site or eBay Store?

I want to place some things out there for sale, but not necessarily limit it to a normal auction and pay the listing fees each and every time.

With the cost of eBay Stores on a monthly basis, it almost makes sense to open your own website complete with hosting and all for like 40% less. But, does the additional exposure of eBay make up for the difference in monthly pricing?

Does anyone have an eBay store and has it worked for you?
* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
* C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
* T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
* L. TIANT BASIC #1
* DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
* MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
* PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
* '65 DISNEYLAND #2
* '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
* '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I vote ebay store. I'm amazed at how much I sell there, and you can't beat the reach of ebay. Just increase the price to cover the store fees- it's what every other business does to cover their overhead.
    If you build it, they will come.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Do both.... running a website is minimal if done properly....you can integrate your site with your ebay store as well.
    http://www.cardpricer.com - More transactions than any site on the web!

Contact Us:
    info@cardpricer.com
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just increase the price to cover the store fees- it's what every other business does to cover their overhead. >>

.......or do like this guy does and not only cover business overhead but also 1 or 2 mortgage payments.......

1984D Mattingly BGS 9.5
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    That's one perty Mattingly...but that price is ugly! I mean, PSA 10s go in the $700-800 range.

I keep kicking myself for not doing the Buy It Now on one PSA 10 Mattingly listed for $499. Didn't have the money at that particular moment and I bid on it. Auction ended in the $750 range if I remember correctly.

I can't decide whether to do the eBay store or my own website. Don't want to do both at this time because I'm unemployed and looking for work. So gotcha watch the money a bit. The eBay store is about $16/month and an e-commerce type of website with hosting and able to list 50 items comes to about $10/month.

Any other thoughts?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Open your own site and join Ebay's affiliate program and let the banner clicks pay for you ebay listings.
  • As a part time dealer, I've found the site just too hard to keep up to date, especially if you're selling specific inventory that you might also want to put on eBay from time to time. Although one day I'll get around to working on it... As of now, I still have cards for sale on the website that we sold on ebay months ago.

Starting from scratch again I would definitely start with the eBay store instead, and build up the web site as needed. The web site as a sales vehicle is pretty worthless until you get your links up, have high google rankings etc. I currently use my website primarily to host ebay photos, to avoid the extra costs for posting more than picture on a listing.

And of course one day it will be a fully functional web store. Some day.
  • Start off with the Ebay store....it's FREE for the 1st 30 days anyways...
    The problem with your own site is..constant updating....you have to promote it steadily...or else no one even knows it's there...and it's not like you can promote it in Ebay auctions or emails....they bash you for that....

Now back to Ebay......with more people on the site than you can even imagine.....you can sell ANYTHING in a store....those $1-$5 inserts we all have laying around...oddball sets...stacks of players..even single commons from sets that people need to fill.....like the other note says...PUT it up...it will sell......

Ebay is the way to go.....

<< <i>Open your own site and join Ebay's affiliate program and let the banner clicks pay for you ebay listings. >>

mercurynut, that's an interesting idea. You get paid pennies or 'credits' for every click, right? So, can I open a website and puts links there to my own eBay auctions? Or, is it only when using their specific banner ads?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I've thought about opening up an eBay store to go along with the auctions that I run, but have been concerned about the possible tax ramifications of doing so. I'm a part-time dealer at best, and basically sell cards to help pay for new cards for my collection. As such, I don't have any tax ID or anything of that sort, and am concerned that when (not if) the IRS or state officials decide that they want to make sure that they get "their piece of the eBay pie" that they'll be targeting eBay store owners first.

Thoughts?
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Here's a thought...EVERYTHING you do on Ebay is tracible!!! EVERYTHING....you get invoiced...you have added monies to your bank accounts...then there's Paypal invoices....end of auction invoices....paper trails everywhere!!

Trust me..they will come...for those who don't claim Ebay profits....good luck!!

Even part time dealers are subject....

and oh..IF you trade....and your inventory goes up....even though no $$$ exchanges hands..it's deemed a business transaction..AND it is taxable.....

it's the same scenario as those people who have yard sales....once a quarter is fine....and you don't have to claim it....ANY more than that and it's considered a business and taxible....licenses are needed....you get the picture....

But think of the people who make say $50K a year at work....they take home, what $30-$35K after taxes.....AND then they sell on Ebay every week or 2...it doesn't take long for you to put add another $5-15K..or more to your account.... next thing they say.."hey, this guy makes $50K a year..should only have $35K in his bank...but is showing deposits of $60K....hmmmmmmmmm

• << <i>

<< <i>Open your own site and join Ebay's affiliate program and let the banner clicks pay for you ebay listings. >>

mercurynut, that's an interesting idea. You get paid pennies or 'credits' for every click, right? So, can I open a website and puts links there to my own eBay auctions? Or, is it only when using their specific banner ads? >>

You have to use their banners because they are coded with your affiliate number id.
    I'm not sure how, but couldn't you 'code' any link to have your affiliate program ID included?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting thread, I have been knocking around the idea of a website or e-bay store for awhile. Thanks for the great reading guys, it has spurned me on to go and check out all of the rules involving an e-bay store.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

I think that I'm going to go with that first 30 days free eBay store option. Then, go from there.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    arny keep us up to date with how it goes
    Bob
  • rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    bill
    i think you get a nice watch with that mattingly rookie
    Bob
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Can any of you provide a status update as to how much you like/dislike your eBay store?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • I can tell you that I've sold much more than I anticipated and at higher prices than I thought I'd get.

I love being able to add stuff at will and have it listed for a lot cheaper than the usual rates. All in all, I'm happy with the results that I've gotten to this point.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark,

I had my store open for the holiday season. Thanksgiving to New Years Day. I had mixed results as I sold about 20 cards in that stretch. All of my stuff was over priced with free shipping image Anyway, I was happy considering I priced the items high. Typically it was guys who were down to just a couple dozen cards left to finish projects. Many of them cooresponded through e-mail seeing if I had anything else to list....

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240