Home Metal Detecting

Struck some old silver

Had quite a day yesterday. Ended up with 4 mercs, 3 quarters and a couple of V nickels.
The Buff is weird - It is bowl shaped, maybe a former money clip or something.
I went detecting in a land of abandoned,crumbling 19th century mansions, no fooling.
I haven't even scratched the surface here, but it looks like the time frame to detect here is limited at best, as most of thse buildings are being torn down.
Heres the story in another forum with alot of pics if anyone wants to have a look Link Where I go by Xray. Hope this isn't against rules here posting links to other forums - I would post em here but the 50kb size limit makes it too much of a pain in the butt to post lots of pics at one time.
JJ

Comments

• Nice I always wonder if the cities hold as much silver as the country side. 4 1936 mercs that is great, I like the cupped buffalo the best. Good job. image
  • Very nice !!! It is pictures/stories like this that keep me going. I just tried my tector today to get used to it, man there was a lot of beeps and buzzing going on. I found a lot of junk not worth photographing but I know my time is gunna come. Congratulations on your finds.

Freakimage
  • Man - Yeah 36 musta been a good year to drop dimes around there. That Buff is plain weird. I don't know what process they used to make it concave like that, but they did a dang good job of it.
    Offhand I'd think that cities hold every bit as much, if not more due to increased activity/population.
    The down side to that of course is junk, and lots of it.

Freak - Keep on swingin. I've only been detecting lets see .. Bout half a year and I feel like a pro. Of course I know thats wrong, but nothing wrong with having a bit of confidence. I've learned alot, from forums like this and most importantly practice in the field.
    Keep on swinging and hit a variety of spots and its a matter of time before you find a sweet spot.
    It took me months till I found my first one, but now I got a better idea where to look - And thats basically old property, and lots/fields that old property used to sit on.
    Alot of folks have luck with different things finding the old stuff demo's , street/sidewalk tearups ect. Mine so far has been lots.
    But good stuff can be found literally anywhere, which is one factor that makes this hobby so enjoyable and challenging.
    JJ
  • Dude those are sweet find's!!!Congrat's on all that silver!!

Man it really suck's for some of those house's to ripped out.The castle one looked like it might be very interesting to hunt around.

Also I saw in the one pic where the road was all tore up.That the sidewalk looked to also be tore out.Hit those too,they can hold some good find's too.HH,Tom
  • very cool!...to bad those houses are being demolished....hope you find some more good stuff!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Awesome finds JJ. I haven't went to the link yet, but I will take a look at it afterwhile. Nice bit of silver you have there.
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • we had a very similar neighborhood demolition a few year back. it started in 1996 and they did'nt finish till around 2000. at first it was loaded with trash and common coins. as the work progressed, loads of older stuff emerged. me an friend both found our first seated halves at that site. i learned to dig everything in that place.

since the houses were going down anyway, we removed the boards from the porches and dug underneath. you would'nt believe the stuff that came out.
  • Wow!! That is a stellar day!!

You suck!!

Nice work!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Wow!!! Cool finds and nice pics at the other forum.
  • You definitely suck!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • That's the suff of dreams!

You suck!
    For the world to know the truth
    There can be no greater proof
    Than to live the life, live the life
    There's no love that's quite as pure
    There's no pain we can't endure
    If we live the life, live the life
    Be a light for all to see
    For every act of love will set you free
    -M.W. Smith

• hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Nice! I like the look of that Standing Liberty Quarter. Does it have a mintmark?
    Mark
  • Thanks for the comments everyone.

Demo - I know that you have earned your nickname, and I always read your posts with interest.
    I'm new to demo digging, but only because it never really crossed my mind before.
    New possiblities are always cropping up, and indeed its hard to drive around, here at least, and not see some kind of construction/street work/ripped up parking lots ect if you got your eyes open for it.

Hugh - No mint mark on the SLQ.
    JJ