Home Metal Detecting
Options

Another find from Germany (and an electrolysis example..)

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

In an earlier post I had a picture of this tree:

Quite a big tree by the way (compare with the standard size coil)

The reason I took the picture was that I found a coin in the roots of it, some 4-5 inches down.
When I got it out of the ground I could tell from its low weight that is was aluminum, but not much else. It seemed to be in terrible shape.

In better light, I could see that it was a 50 pfennig coin. This is what it looked like:

imageimage

..and here it is after 5 hours of eletrolysis, a 1921 aluminum 50 Pfennig.
I was really lucky with the date being perfectly readable! image I hadn't expected to get a date off this one!
I was amazed how sharp some of the details still are. Nearly all the remaining brown areas are pits (compare w/ above images), so this is about as good as it's going to get.

imageimage

This coin was introduced in 1919 to replace the (hmmph) Silver 1/2 Mark and was struck from 1919 to 1922.
As for its buying power, in 1921 it would buy 2 Eggs, 1/8 Pound of sugar or ¼ Pound of potatoes. image

-Z

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats amazing how that coin cleaned up.Nice job.
    Al
  • Options
    How did you do the electro?
  • Options
    Nice going on the find and nice job cleaning it up!!

I got one I will have to find and post a picture of.It's not aluminum,but it is German.
    My ex-wife's Grandfather got this little baggie of coin's at a yard sale in Santa Cruz and gave them to me and this one coin was in it along with a few wheatie's and other's.HH,Tom
  • Options
    Fun find... and 5 hours for cleaning?!!!
    Now that's some serious frying! image
  • Options
    Cool find Zot!

Wow 5 hours to fry!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage