Home Metal Detecting
Options

Where Should I Look?

Hi, everyone. I just purchased a detector and want to get into this with my son. We're in Florida, so there's tons of beach. My question is, is the beach the best place to search? What are my chances of actually finding something fairly interesting on the beach? I don't want to discourage my son if we are out there for a few hours and find nothing. He's just like his old man and will quickly give up and find another hobby! lol Any suggestions will be welcomed!

Comments

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Searching a beach might just be the way to go for the first few times out. You are almost guaranteed to find coins along with other stuff you don't want. Of course finding old coins is not out of the question either. I would think with all the rough surf you've had down there it would be good pickins. Do they grade the beaches with bulldozers after a rough surf?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Thanks, laser.....no, they don't usually bulldoze. I guess that's a good thing. We'll go out and give it a try tomorrow. Maybe we can find some MS69 poptops lol.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Remember to take a bag or something to put all the junk into and throw it away properly. By the way, what did you buy for a detector?
  • Options

If I was near a beach, I'd be all over it! image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Beaches are relaxing and fun to sweep. I went to the Silver Strand one morning at sunrise to spend "an hour or so" sweeping before heading back home. Before I knew it the sun was going down! Didn't find anything spectacular but a lot of pocket change. The best thing was just walking along the beach and enjoying the day.
  • Options
    The beach can be fun. It can also be work.
    To start at a school play ground AKA "tot lot" would be a good place to learn.
    The finds will be easy pickings. The kid will have things to do if he tires of detecting.
    I hit three or four "tot lots" in the early AM.

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice so far. Sounds like the beach just might prove interesting. Maybe I can sweing by the NUDE beach. Oh, wait, gonna have my son with me. Hmmm. lol Anyway, I bought a Bounty Hunter, Sharpshooter II. Please don't tell me it's a piece of crap. Well, if you DO tell me it's not a good detector, at least break the news gently to me image
    M
  • Options
    If it goes "beep" and you find silver then it's a good detector.
  • Options
    Where are you from in Florida. I've got a condo on Hutchinson Island in Stuart. I've been dreaming of hunting the beaches further north where the wrecks of 1715 and 1733 are located. But we have been busy rerenovating it after last years hurricanes. The dammage wasn't bad, it's just time consuming to get fixed. So I've been hunting the private beach in back of my condo. i figure that there has to be some sort of wreck here too, considering that there were so many. If you want to hunt the beaches the best time is after a hurricane hits the area, because it will blow some sand away leaving all of the good stuff behind. go here and here to find info on the wrecks. But for your first few outings stick to tot lots and hunt your backyard. When you get the hang of it, then you can take those long trips to hunt. As for your question about whether or not your detector is a piece of crap or not. It isn't, but you could've picked a better beginner detector, like the White's Prizm series or the Garrett ACE 150 or 250.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Oh well, I guess this detector is good enough to get started with. As for where I am, not too far north of you. I'm in Vero, so the wrecks you speak of are somewhere around this area. Now if I can only get this damn thing to go "BEEP", I can get started! image. I'll check out the sites you mentioned. If I find anything noteworthy, I will report back here.
  • Options
    No, don't use those sites. They are different brands. For Bounty Hunter detectors go here
    Happy Hunting!image