Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP Guess the SEGS grade

seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
Recent eBay purchase, I bought this on good authority with the intention of crossing to a PCGS holder. The coin didn't photograph very well through the holder, but the dark streaks on the obverse are in the planchet. There are also two small carbon spots on the obverse, one behind the head and another below the first T in TRUST, and one small carbon spot on the reverse, right in the middle of the C in CENT.

What grade do you think SEGS gave this 1909-VDB Doubled Die Obverse? What grade do you think PCGS will give it?

imageimage

imageimage

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm admittedly not good at Lincolns, but I'll guess SEGS 67 RD and PCGS 65 RB...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Hey Sean!
    I'll guess they gave it a 66 RB and PCGS will give it a 64 RB
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say SEGS was MS65RD but PCGS will say 64RB, hope I'm wrong

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Guess
    SEGS MS66 RB

PCGS MS63 RB

Cool doubled die obverse.

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Why does it look like it has significant wear on the obverse??
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>Why does it look like it has significant wear on the obverse?? >>

Mainly because my photo stinks. There is also another dark planchet streak right across Abe's eyes, which is a high point and on quick glance makes it look like the coin was handled. Holding it in the hand, I have no doubt that it is truly uncirculated.

Sean REynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Bumping one time to see if anyone else wants to take a guess. I'll post the SEGS grade and my personal guess at the PCGS grade this evening.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SEGS---MS64RB.
    PCGS---MS63RB.

bad fingerprint!
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    SEGS MS65RB
    PCGS MS64RB.

Very cool DDO.
  • Options
    SEGS called this coin MS65RD. Here is the eBay auction with the seller's pictures.

As far as what PCGS will think of it, I think the coin has a 50/50 shot of going either 64RD or 64RB, depending on how much they dislike the dark streaks on the obverse. With the carbon spots I noted in my original post there is no way it is getting into a 65 holder.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    65RD

imageimage
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think PCGS will give it a RD designation. Low guess 63RB. High guess 64RB.

I think it will go 63RB.

Pete
    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file