Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nearly flawless 2004 Lincoln

Check it -

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, you planning on submitting it? It looks like there is a sm spot just in front of the chin but really nice otherwise.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Yep, I'm going to submit it. I didn't know the spot was there untill I took pics. It doesn't show in hand at all and with a loupe you can see it but it's very faint.
  • Options
    what was the mintage on these, a few billion i would guess.
  • Options
    Funny how the camera lens magnifies every little thing on the coin, where did you get this one mint set?

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry

• Options

<< <i>Funny how the camera lens magnifies every little thing on the coin, where did you get this one mint set?

Chris >>

Funny story. I got it from a guy who got it at a local coin club meeting. He said that someone from their club recieved them from a mint rep. It was sealed in mint plastic side by side with a blank planchet.
    To my knowledge, the mint does not make such a product ........
  • Options
    I can also see a spot on top ot the L, B, Y and a spot on the reverse on the right side of the building. At the bottom next to the end pole. But very nice coin.
  • Options
    Interesting, could it have been some sort of hand out at a mint tour or something I wonder. Anyway it real nice and should grade high, revieve this thread when you get the grading results back.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Funny story. I got it from a guy who got it at a local coin club meeting. He said that someone from their club recieved them from a mint rep. It was sealed in mint plastic side by side with a blank planchet.
    To my knowledge, the mint does not make such a product ........ >>

Weird.... I got something just like that recently as a throw-in from an eBay seller. It is a small heat-sealed plastic holder (like a Mint set) with a struck coin on one side and a blank planchet on the other. I'm pretty sure the one I got dates back to the mid 1990s. I have to find it now and see what condition it's in.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I don't understand this thread- why are people talking about submitting a 2004 lincoln cent?? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found it, mine is dated 1994. I hadn't noticed it before but the cent in this one is also of very high quality. Now I'm really curious to know the history and providence of these things.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Do you know the dealer that gave it to you Sean? Mabey if you contact him he can tell you where it came from.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    <<I don't understand this thread- why are people talking about submitting a 2004 lincoln cent?? >>

This is a hobby; it is'nt supposed to make senseimage

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    A spot at the chin, a spot at the rim at 2:00, and another at 8:00. Any of the three wouldn't preclude a 69 grade, but all three will hold it at 68--at best.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options

<< <i>A spot at the chin, a spot at the rim at 2:00, and another at 8:00. Any of the three wouldn't preclude a 69 grade, but all three will hold it at 68--at best. >>

Accetone??
  • Options

<< <i>Found it, mine is dated 1994. I hadn't noticed it before but the cent in this one is also of very high quality. Now I'm really curious to know the history and providence of these things.

Sean Reynolds >>

Sean, that's exactly what mine was like. The guy I got it from insists that it came from the mint .... or so he was told.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Ah Modern Crapola ........ coming to you sealed in PVC

Stewart
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My humble opinion,

I don't think I have seen Lincoln look that well defined before (he also looks ticked off!)

In God We Trust looks mushy! Maybe that is due to the picture, maybe it's really soft.

Some orange peel where the light reflects, still cool looking.

I don't know that I have seen a cent with that kind of detail since I saw the 1919 beaut that looks like this:

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what was the mintage on these, a few billion i would guess. >>

It's never been about how many were made. It's about how many are available compared to the number who want them.

There are varieties of many of the recent coins that were made in the hundreds of millions which do not even exist in unc. Some are fairly expensive in AU where they are rare and some are cheap in this grade because there is little demand.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand this thread- why are people talking about submitting a 2004 lincoln cent?? image >>

Move along then.
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Found it, mine is dated 1994. I hadn't noticed it before but the cent in this one is also of very high quality. Now I'm really curious to know the history and providence of these things.

Sean Reynolds >>

I too have one of those...exact same packaging and date, as well.
  • Options
    Check out the quality of the cent in those packs.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    the mint DOES make those.

my son got one as a freebie at the march Baltimore show when we went and listened to someone from the mint give a talk.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    It doesn't look like a proof coin, or proof quality, but it does look like a specially-prepared coin, if not planchet and process. Otherwise, it would have scuff marks on it. So I think it's a wonderful coin, and I support your decision to slab it. It looks better than normal circulation coins (even first-off-the-die coins).

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>the mint DOES make those.

my son got one as a freebie at the march Baltimore show when we went and listened to someone from the mint give a talk. >>

Thanks for the info.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand this thread- why are people talking about submitting a 2004 lincoln cent?? image >>

So you can build your negative toned post count; why else? How rude and uneccessary. Next time, why don't you think about a simple "cool".
    "If you can't say something nice, don't talk at all is my advice"
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To my knowledge, the mint does not make such a product ........ >>

I think the mints Beginner Basics set will have something similar to this.

<< <i>Collecting America's Coins: Beginner Basics (5E1)

The United States Mint is pleased to offer this new, educational set for those who are just beginning to explore the world of coin collecting. Coin collecting is a fascinating hobby with a language all its own, and the informative booklet offered with the set provides a helpful introduction to this exciting hobby.

To highlight the coin manufacturing process, this set includes a one-cent planchet, a pair of circulating one-cent coins, a pair of satin-finish uncirculated dimes and a proof-condition half-dollar. This set illustrates many features and finishes found throughout our Nation's coinage. The booklet also briefly discusses the history, design and manufacturing processes that have contributed to more than two centuries of American coinage. >>

Out of curiosity, I went ahead and ordered one. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OK, call me silly but I'm wondering if my 2004 cent was a "practice" satin finish coin?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file