Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1997 Canadian $200 Gold Proof - Haida Design - Stunning!

I noticed this coin a while back and the unique design has stuck in my mind as an eventual purchase.
The "eventual" finally happened.

I'm usually on the U.S. forum but some world coin designs are hooking me in. I especially like the Native West Coast designs on some of the Canadian Proofs. (Like the Totems)

Just thought I'd share...

The design is by Robert Davidson and titled "Raven Bringing Light to the World" based on a Haida Indian story about Raven (a culture hero) taking the sun from the Chief of the Sky and returning it to the people of earth.

This coin is beautiful IMHO! Any imperfections in my photo are on the capsule. I didn't want to take it out for fear of any damage (even slight).
You can see my camera lens in the mirror - doh!
-Bob
collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set

Comments

• shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    That's my favorite from the series, and the Mother and Child is second.

The butterfly was my least favorite. I'll end up buying all of them eventually just because I like to have complete sets. image

Did you see the faux-soapstone case for the set? It's made of resin, but it looks and feels like soapstone. The design on it is really cool.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin is on my 'someday I'll own' list. Love the design.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • That coin is on my 'someday I'll own' list. Love the design.

I agree, when the lotto comes my wayimage
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Great coin and picture image

I too like the design very much, but what Tony said.
    imageimage
    Here's the case:

Obscurum per obscurius
  • That coin caused once caused me a brief period of moral turmoil. In 1998, I received a mailing from the RCM stating that they still had a few of those coins left for sale at the mint issue price. I decided to order two because I love the design. At the time I was living in an apartment. A few days later I came home, and found that the mail carrier had left a package outside my door in the apartment building's hallway. I opened the package and found the two gold coins. I realized that the post office had made a big mistake in just dropping this in the hallway, rather than leaving it at the post office for me to collect. I was a student. I was broke. I knew I could claim to not having received the coins, and get a refund or a couple more coins...

but after a few seconds I decided that my integrity was worth more than the purchase price of two nice coins. I don't regret the decision.
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Here's the case:

Wow! That case is pretty cool. I got the coin w/COA but no case. I'll probably slab mine. Not for grade (It's an easy 69... 70? is anyone's guess).

I've already had a close call where my wife dropped the capsule and my heart sank when it hit the table after a 6" drop. I imagined the popping out but luckily it didn't. So I will probably get this one slabbed just for long term protection, storage, and peace of mind when showing to people.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.

• << <i>That coin is on my 'someday I'll own' list. Love the design. >>

Same here.
    Bill

09/07/2006
    Here are the last two designs in the set:

You can get the gold coins here.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Also very nice. I am with you on the Haida Raven/Sun being #1 and Mother and Child as #2.

By the way, I ordered mine from a place called "Allens" for $34 less than that seller. The website is pretty dry but the price wasn't bad. Link
    -Bob
  • JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭

<< <i>You can get the gold coins here. >>

Thanks for the link.
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Neat designs. I guess they did their share of hallucinogenic agents!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22