Home Sports Talk
Options

EXPLAIN PLEASE? im drunk!

Is gemmy right? yanks win tomorow they win by tie breaker? or is this bullsh$t?

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Is gemmy right? yanks win tomorow they win by tie breaker? or is this bullsh$t? >>

This isn't football...head to head records aren't taken into account to determine a winner...NY gets the game monday if there is a tiebreaker game (because of the head to head advantage).
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    1420sports, if the Yankees win 1 more regular season game they will at least have the same regular season record and the Yankees will have a record of at least 10-9 (11-8 if Sox lose the next 2 games) against the Sox. The Yankees will then win the division by virtue of a better head to head competition.

explain again axtell? is gemmy fibing?
  • Options

I am absolutely correct and someone who just made an obnoxious comment is going to eat crow.
  • Options

When some independent authority finds the answer please start a new thread in the Gemmy spirit.
  • Options
    From espn.com:

"NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees won a coin flip Monday and would host the Boston Red Sox if a one-game playoff is needed to break a tie for the AL East title.

The Yankees, who trailed the Red Sox by three games entering play Monday, end the regular season with three games at Fenway Park from Sept. 30-Oct. 2. If the teams finish with identical records and the wild-card club comes from another division, the Yankees and Red Sox would shift to New York for the tiebreaker game.

New York and Boston last finished the regular season in a tie for first in 1978, when Bucky Dent's three-run homer boosted the Yankees to the division title.

If game is needed to break a tie between Cleveland and the Chicago White Sox in the AL Central, the Indians would host, and if the Los Angeles Angels and Oakland need a tiebreaker in the AL West, the game would be at Anaheim.

In the event a tiebreaker is needed for the wild card, New York and Oakland would play at Cleveland, and Oakland would play at New York.

If three teams finish with the same record and a tiebreaker is needed, the teams in the same division play a tiebreaker for first place, and the loser meets the team from the other division in a one-game wild-card tiebreaker.

If a tiebreaker game is necessary in the NL wild-card race, Philadelphia would host Houston and Florida, the Marlins would host Houston, the Astros would host Washington, and the Nationals would host the Phillies and Marlins."

Text

• Options

I eat crow. I stand corrected. ROFL
  • Options

<< <i>I am absolutely correct and someone who just made an obnoxious comment is going to eat crow. >>

Another error? How soon until you make an edit?

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I am absolutely correct and someone who just made an obnoxious comment is going to eat crow.

crow seems to be your favorite dish at times
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    thanks! so sunday night baseball? or is it sunday day? will be the game that matters most! tomorow redsox yanks game really dont mean nothing!
  • Options

<< <i>thanks! so sunday night baseball? or is it sunday day? will be the game that matters most! tomorow redsox yanks game really dont mean nothing! >>

The playoff game (if there were one) would be played Monday.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    personally, I hope they both make it in ....
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>personally, I hope they both make it in .... >>

They likely will, with Cleveland falling tonight.
  • Options

Hmmm....I remember several people on this board saying the Yankees with their young stud rookies were not going to the playoffs.
  • Options
    If the teams finish with identical records and the wild-card club comes from another division, the Yankees and Red Sox would shift to New York for the tiebreaker game.

okay so let's say boston and new york split the next two games and cleveland and chicago split their's too.

then boston and new york would be 95-67 and cleveland 94-68. so would new york win the east and boston the wc? since the "tiebreaker" rules mention only if the wild-card comes from another division.
  • Options

Brian, good point. By the way I got false information from my friends at the Yes Network so before some people get too smug.
  • Options
    I am nearly certain, regardless of what happens with Cleveland, if boston and NY tie, they play the tiebreaker.

If all three tie, Boston and NY play for the east, then the loser would play Cleveland for the wild card.

• Options

<< <i>Brian, good point. By the way I got false information from my friends at the Yes Network so before some people get too smug. >>

Sure, blame the 'source' instead of taking responsibility.
  • Options

<<then boston and new york would be 95-67 and cleveland 94-68. so would new york win the east and boston the wc? since the "tiebreaker" rules mention only if the wild-card comes from another division.>>

I would think the loser of the playoff would get it because they still would have won 1 more game than Cleveland.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<then boston and new york would be 95-67 and cleveland 94-68. so would new york win the east and boston the wc? since the "tiebreaker" rules mention only if the wild-card comes from another division.>>

I would think the loser of the playoff would get it because they still would have won 1 more game than Cleveland. >>

You call yourself a fan and don't even know your own team's playoff scenarios?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

What's the answer, smart alec?
  • Options

<<<then boston and new york would be 95-67 and cleveland 94-68. so would new york win the east and boston the wc? since the "tiebreaker" rules mention only if the wild-card comes from another division.>>

<<I would think the loser of the playoff would get it because they still would have won 1 more game than Cleveland.>>

In the case of cornholio's scenario, I think I am correct and will stand by it. The Indians would have 1 more loss before the playoff game.
  • Options

<< <i>I am nearly certain, regardless of what happens with Cleveland, if boston and NY tie, they play the tiebreaker. >>

that's what i thought too, but it goes against the rules you quoted from espn.

i think the chisox only had 2 or 3 starters play today - cleveland is blowing a chance to make the playoffs really complicated.
  • Options

<< <i>I think I am correct and will stand by it. >>

Funny, just a minute ago you were "correct" about the Yankees only needing one more win.

Just like your predictions... Make a bunch of them and eventually one should be right.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

Shanty-Townie, tell us what you know about the rules for the playoff scenarios or shut up.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow - I am late to the party here, but -

Gemmy, you thought the Yanks would win the division if they won tommorrow? Haven't you heard about the possible playoff game Monday? It has been discussed extensively in the NY media. Also, the game would be played in NY because NY won a coin toss a few weeks back.

I am surprised you did not know this.
  • Options

ctsoxfan, that is what I originally thought but I heard otherwise tonight. I think I am correct about the Indian scenario though if they have a worst record before a possible Yankee-Boston playoff game.
  • Options
    From ESPN

"If three teams finish with the same record and a tiebreaker is needed, the teams in the same division play a tiebreaker for first place, and the loser meets the team from the other division in a one-game wild-card tiebreaker."

I beleive if the Indians have a worse record then the Yankees and Red Sox before the playoff game they go bye bye.
  • Options
    Yes that's correct - from CBS Sportsline:

Boston's victory left both teams at 94-66 and guarantees that the AL East title won't be decided until Sunday, what's scheduled to be the final day of the regular season.

Or possibly Monday.

If the teams split the last two games, there could be a one-game playoff at Yankee Stadium. If Cleveland also is tied at 95 wins, the loser of the Boston-New York game would play the Indians Tuesday for the AL wild-card berth.

• Options

<< <i>From ESPN

"If three teams finish with the same record and a tiebreaker is needed, the teams in the same division play a tiebreaker for first place, and the loser meets the team from the other division in a one-game wild-card tiebreaker."

I beleive if the Indians have a worse record then the Yankees and Red Sox before the playoff game they go bye bye. >>

Dude, I'm sorry to say but you have ZERO math skills.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot you work for Femur. Better be planning that next Disaster Recovery. image
  • Options

<< Yes that's correct - from CBS Sportsline>>

"If Boston and New York are tied and Cleveland can't match them, the Yankees would win the East and the Red Sox the wild card because New York will have won the season series against Boston (10-9 I might add)."

ctsoxfan, bottom line, it the Yankees and Red Sox split the next 2, Cleveland would have to win both to force a Yankee-Red Sox playoff or else the Yankees win the division, the Red Sox get the WC, and the Indians go bye bye.

It's all here
  • Options

<< <i><< Yes that's correct - from CBS Sportsline>>

"If Boston and New York are tied and Cleveland can't match them, the Yankees would win the East and the Red Sox the wild card because New York will have won the season series against Boston (10-9 I might add)."

ctsoxfan, bottom line, it the Yankees and Red Sox split the next 2, Cleveland would have to win both to force a Yankee-Red Sox playoff or else the Yankees win the division, the Red Sox get the WC, and the Indians go bye bye.

It's all here >>

Yes and if the Yanks get swept and the Indians win the last two, Yankees go bye bye
  • Options

This is true.
  • Options
    I read that, Gemmy - and I believe it is incorrect. Go here :

Recap
  • Options

ctsoxfan, the article you quote does not go into detail. The reason why I was confused was because I heard the tail end of a conversation on the Yes Network, and Michael Kay said that if Yanks-Red Sox end in a tie and they both are one game better than Cleveland, then the Yankees would be the AL East Champs and Boston the Wild Card because of their head to head record. Yankees would finish 10-9 against the Sox if they split the next 2 games. image
  • Options
    Okay - this is the best link that explains it, and you are correct:

CNN/SI
  • Options
    ctsoxfan, I am sorry for the confusion....some people on this board (and you know who you are) are making out like I am an idiot. This is the first time 3 teams have been so close to being involved in a 3 team tie, and there is a lot of confusion. At least I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, but some people on this board wouldn't admit squat and always think they are always right.
  • Options
    The scenarios are confusing - even listening to Mike & The Mad Dog this afternoon, they kept referring to the one game playoff possibility on Monday if both teams were tied on Sunday. At least that CNN/SI article spells it out clearly.

• Options

Yes, I think Michael Kay of the Yes Network was correct after all. I just stepped out of the room for a minute during a commercial and when I came back I heard the part about season head to head competiton. It suprized me.
  • Options

<< <i>ctsoxfan, I am sorry for the confusion....some people on this board (and you know who you are) are making out like I am an idiot. This is the first time 3 teams have been so close to being involved in a 3 team tie, and there is a lot of confusion. At least I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, but some people on this board wouldn't admit squat and always think they are always right. >>

You are an idiot spammy...there was nothing to be inferred there.

You caught the tail end of a conversation with that loudmouthed Kay and you thought the Yanks only needed one more win to capture the division? Wouldn't you think that would have been the leading line talking about this game?

I'd think if MY team were on the cusp of the playoffs, I'd know for damn sure what my playoff scenarios were before I spout off my mouth, and then tell in the same thread 'someone here is going to be eating crow!' like a buffoon.

Way to go, spaminator!