Home Sports Talk

Thanks Dan Wislon......

Alot of good memories following the M's in the 90's, basically the last of those guys. Edgar, Bone, Jr, Arod, RJ...

Too bad that team never stayed together, alot of names there...
Am I speaking Chinese?

Comments

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    He was a terrific catcher who never got the credit he deserved.

The team for the most part stayed together, but with Arod getting offered $250 million, Griffey wanting to move close to home, and Unit's back surgery, we did lose some key parts.

The series in 95, with Griffey scoring to take game 5 in the first round of the playoffs, saved baseball in Seattle....some great names in that mix...Buhner, lil Joey Cora, some really good memories of that era.

• I have that newspaper still, and 2 Tee shirts with Jr Smiling under the dogpile. One of my my best baseball memories... My best was Dad and I at Randy Johnsons no hitter in the Kingdome...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

<< <i>I have that newspaper still, and 2 Tee shirts with Jr Smiling under the dogpile. One of my my best baseball memories... My best was Dad and I at Randy Johnsons no hitter in the Kingdome... >>

Yeah, that was pure joy on their faces....you could see it. I don't see how you could be a baseball fan and not enjoy that moment.

And people wonder why Seattle wanted to honor Jr. this year on the 10th anniversary of that moment.

• They gotta do something to keep their restless native fans happy.

<< <i>They gotta do something to keep their restless native fans happy. >>

Way to try to derail a thread about one of the classiest men to ever play the game.

Dan Wilson is one of those players who never put up great numbers, but the way he called games made him a favorite of the M's pitching staff.

Great player, great heart...something a lot of players no longer possess.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    What happened to Dan Wilson?

<< <i>What happened to Dan Wilson? >>

He torn his ACL in May, and has been on the DL since....he announced this would be his last season, and he caught tonight's game.

Thanks - I remember him as a solid catcher, who as mentioned, never got the credit he deserved for his play. Those teams in Seattle back in the 90's were loaded with talent. I still remember the trade back in, I believe 1997, when the Sox got Varitek and Lowe from the M's. I'm sure they traded Varitek (basically unknown at the time) because they were happy with Wilson behind the plate.
    From mariners.org:

"Mariners honor Wilson: One day after he was honored by the fans with a standing ovation, retiring catcher Dan Wilson was honored by his teammates.

They presented him with a commemorative plaque for his contributions to the team over his 12-year tenure in the clubhouse prior to Saturday's game.

They also gave him four framed collages full of pictures of himself during his time as a Mariner, as well as matching Rolex watches for he and his wife, Annie."

edit: link to the website, they have a terrific video of the standing ovation Wilson got in his last game....amazing.

Text
    That was a great article - thanks for the link. Wilson was a class act as a catcher, the game needs more players like him.