Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need some help on a Chinese coin

I cannot find this coin in my Krause. Both sides are actually darker like the first photo, but I believe the coin to be copper. It is just a bit smaller than a US silver dollar. Does anyone have any idea of it's date and value? Thanks in advance.

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    You have either a mule or a fake, or maybe even both. One side says Kirin while the other Sichuan.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    image No wonder I couldn't find it. The Kirin side doesn't match anything in the Krause...I wonder if the other side matches any known coin?
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    The dragon is also way off. It could be a contemporary counterfeit, which would be interesting.
  • Options
    The Szechuan side is the Y#227 20 cash. The coin has sharp detail, it doesn't look like it's cast.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    The Sichuan (Szechuan) side can be found in Krause under Y 227.
  • Options
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    But the calligraphy doesn't match. Of course, that isn't always important. Notice too that yours has the little flower thingies while the Krause image has simple dots on the Szechuan side.

There are many variations in these issues, as you know, but the odd looking dragon and the mismatched sides lead me to think this counterfeit. There were large numbers of contemporary fakes though. I see them on ebay routinely but they are never as nice as this one. I don't know what it would be worth but I would not surprised if there was a premium of some sort.

• Options
    Sorry, BH, you posted before me when I wasn't looking.