Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Whats going on with this Farthing ?

Huge Die Clash or is it something else ? The edges are not sharp like a lite side clash. They are mushy looking.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    Screwed up planchet issue?
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    That's ghosting - a common problem on George V pieces. The relief of that first portrait was so high (believe it or not) that there was not enough metal to fill both dies. You get either a weak strike on one side or you see the monarch's image on the reverse.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's ghosting - a common problem on George V pieces. The relief of that first portrait was so high (believe it or not) that there was not enough metal to fill both dies. You get either a weak strike on one side or you see the monarch's image on the reverse. >>

Pretty fast reply for such an old fella!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very pronounced ghosting, common on Edward VII and George V issues.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Pretty fast reply for such an old fella! image

I'm the quickest draw there is on the liteside Uno thread. imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    George V had a big head.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>George V had a big head. >>

Very big to fill up both sides of the coin.

Ken
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more question. Would this make the head of George weakly struck to a certain point ? Its not real weak but some detail seems flat.

Thanks.

Ken
  • Options
    If Britannia is well struck, the the head could be weak and vice versa.

Some dates of farthing have very poor obverse strikes, most notably 1920, 1921 and 1922. The same is true of the halfpennies.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And pennies. I've seen some pretty ghostly pennies. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Sorry about the big picture. Here's an example of an UNC with a bad obverse strike. Sorry that it's a scan. I still have to reimage hundreds of pieces and they're all in lockup.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I still have to reimage hundreds of pieces >>

imageimageimageimageimage

Send them to me.....I've learned it's smart to pay melt for these things though.......how many pounds are we talking? I'll pay bulk rate shipping for the poundage too....my dime, it's on me!image
  • Options
    Send them to me.....I've learned it's smart to pay melt for these things though.......how many pounds are we talking? I'll pay bulk rate shipping for the poundage too....my dime, it's on me! image

Mac, your generosity overwhelms me!! Watch your mailbox, there's a trunk headed your way, postage due!!! image