Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Complete & Utter Satisfaction

I started collecting Victorian large cents in circulated condition when I was about 10 years old, growing up in Maine. I used to get George V and George VI cents in change and would buy circulated Vickies from local dealers and mail lists, or relatives used to give me ones they had squirreled away. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would ever assemble a set of the quality of my registry set. I would like to publically thank Charles Moore (from whom I started buying from in 1981) and Michael Walsh, the primary sources of the coins in the set. I would also like to thank Willamette for selling me some of his dups (including this one), which have been key to my completing the set.

The coin pictured below makes my Victorian cent registry set 100% complete. It will never be done, because I am always looking for upgrades. This coin is the famous 1859 brass cent. One of the Holy Grails of Canadian coin collecting and very rarely available to acquire. Not quite the 1911 dollar or the 1936 dot cent, but a very rare coin. PCGS only has 7 in the total population and ICCS has 20. No example has graded higher than VF by either service.

My Victorian Cents

image [
Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I started collecting Victorian large cents in circulated condition when I was about 10 years old, growing up in Maine. I used to get George V and George VI cents in change and would buy circulated Vickies from local dealers and mail lists, or relatives used to give me ones they had squirreled away. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would ever assemble a set of the quality of my registry set. I would like to publically thank Charles Moore (from whom I started buying from in 1981) and Michael Walsh, the primary sources of the coins in the set. I would also like to thank Willamette for selling me some of his dups (including this one), which have been key to my completing the set.

The coin pictured below makes my Victorian cent registry set 100% complete. It will never be done, because I am always looking for upgrades. This coin is the famous 1859 brass cent. One of the Holy Grails of Canadian coin collecting and very rarely available to acquire. Not quite the 1911 dollar or the 1936 dot cent, but a very rare coin. PCGS only has 7 in the total population and ICCS has 20. No example has graded higher than VF by either service.

image >>

Some nice coins there! :thumbs up:
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Fabulous news, bosox, congratulations!!

In the true spirit of a collector though, you will continue the hunt!!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats bosox (Sox 5 Yankees 3, bottom of 8th). Charly Moore used to be in Lewiston, just north of Niagara Falls.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm watching (nice cable package).
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

• Options
    I remember the 1967 World Series. Been a Sox fan ever since.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Me too. And 1986, and of course 2004.

• Options
    I was in Thailand in 1986 so I only heard about the game, and the error, a couple weeks later.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I lived in England at bthe time. I flew back and was at Shea for game #1. My wife was due with our second so I flew back to England after the game. I had a game 1/7 tix package. When the ball went thru Billy Buc's legs I knew they were done. I cancelled my fight reservations and now have three unused game 7 World Series tix framed on my wall. The baby was born three days later.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh man that is one nice brassy! I have multiple complete circulated sets, except for the brass 1859. I have only seen one up close and personal - Ottawa CNA a few years ago.

My registry set pales in comparison to the top 3 sets - but it has been and still is a blast to find nice coins. I just picked up a beautiful 1914 at the Hartford show that I think will go 65BN. It has superb lustre and some irridescent toning.

The pics of the coins in your set makes my heart flutter. Congrats on completing it.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Thanks, Gene. It has been very rewarding. I really like some of the high grade RB's and Brown you have posted. I think some of the RB's are nicer than some of the funky reds. - Rob

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Excellent achievement with the bronze Vics, bosox!!

By all means, keep it going. image

Oh yeah, GO CARDINALS!!imageimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the wonderful new coin, and on finishing your set. You've always wowed me speechless with the quality and beauty of your cents!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Congtats image I hope to actually complete a set myself...some day image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    A SUPERB set.image
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! I've never even seen one up close.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    The other coin I bought with the brass cent. 1859 DP#1 in a PCGS MS-63RB holder.

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations in the brassy and completion. Quite a featimage
  • Options
    Congratulations, i've never finished a set myself due to finding it hard to stick to my goals. The fact that you've stuck it for the long haul shows credit where it's due! Enjoy them! image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Superb set Rob. I have always enjoyed looking at your large cents and completing this set at these grades is a rare accomplishment I believe. And as I've seen some of your RB coins, I can testify that they sometimes beat full red examples. Absolutely gorgeous.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    Congratulations! image