Home Metal Detecting
Options

My uncle has dug up this coin..

I postedt his on the ancient coin forum, but as always, most people just ignore my threads and do not repond .

My uncle has a job where he comes in contact and with old stuff and he gets to keep him. Maintenice or something.

He has found a spanish coin from 1794 which he says is stamped off center ( I thikn he means it was striked off center) and it says this:
1794 CAROLUS * IIII * DEL * GRATIA

(TOP CROWN ON THE RIGHT) HISPAN * ET-IND * REX * ME * 2R * T * J

Is this coin worth anything? anyone know what it is? Before you yell at me and say I could google search it and find it out and that i made a stupid thread, I did google seach it.

Comments

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Sounds like a colonial Mexico 2 reales.
    1993 Krause has $40 for VG and $400 for XF. Maybe someone has something a little more current.
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like a colonial Mexico 2 reales.
    1993 Krause has $40 for VG and $400 for XF. Maybe someone has something a little more current. >>

Great thank you. He said the coin on one side has 2 "horns"

400 dollars for XF? Jeez! I guess he got lucky.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    <<Before you yell at me and say I could google search it and find it out and that i made a stupid thread, I did google seach it. >>
    We don't do that often here. We tell you to do a yahoo search. imageimage Just kidding, We try to help out as much as we can. I have to agree with Phut. it definately sounds like its a reale when you said it's off centered. But just incase you want some reassurance or more answers post this thread or a link to it in the World & Ancient coin forum.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    Sure beats all the bottle caps I keep findiing.
  • Options

<< <i><<Before you yell at me and say I could google search it and find it out and that i made a stupid thread, I did google seach it. >>
    We don't do that often here. We tell you to do a yahoo search. imageimage Just kidding, We try to help out as much as we can. I have to agree with Phut. it definately sounds like its a reale when you said it's off centered. But just incase you want some reassurance or more answers post this thread or a link to it in the World & Ancient coin forum. >>

I think I already did that. Got no responses or very few. This section has a nice bunch of people. Not so elsewhere.