Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hey pack rippers!

Next week I'll be getting a couple dozen '86 Donruss wax packs that I picked up cheap. Thought it would make a fun evening of ripping. Any advice?
Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    don't open....................wait two thousand years........reap large profit!!! image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I ripped an 86D wax box a few years back. Most of it was o/c with really ugly looking chipped borders, but at least the Canseco was decent. Heh. It's funny to think that back when I first started collecting back in 1989, the 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco was the modern Holy Grail of sports cards. How high did that thing peak out to? Over $100? Heh, now for a card to hit $100 after 3 years on the market, it'd have to be a rare, signed, game used, etc, sitting in a PSA 10 holder.

Wow. Can you believe that there was a time where you'd have been considered an absolute fool if you traded a pair of those for a single 1984 Fleer Roger Clemens?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Next week I'll be getting a couple dozen '86 Donruss wax packs that I picked up cheap. Thought it would make a fun evening of ripping. Any advice? >>

Hi Mark
    Yes...open them slowly - ripping is addictive and goes way too quickly and then you're prowling the streets in search of another fix. I saw a little ole lady buying packs for her grandson...I came up from behind...

Mike
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i> I saw a little ole lady buying packs for her grandson... >>

Pff. Yah, that's it, blaming the grandkids. They always say they're buying it for someone else. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

i would have fun ripping 86 donruss.. when i was first getting into cards, 86D was the stuff to have! Jose was THE man, Fred McGriff was a great pull, and a few years later when Cecil Fielder hit 50 homers, his card was selling for $25 bucks..

BTW: i sold a canseco BGS 9.5 earlier this year for $150+.. image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>don't open....................wait two thousand years........reap large profit!!! >>

I think he'd have a better chance of time traveling back to circa 1989-90 to reap a profit on those.
  • Options
    Did someone just call for my services?

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Well, damn - there are a lot of commons in this set, aren't there?

got the packs and I've opened about half of them - I'm pretty much a novice at this, but it appears that centering is quite an issue with this set. I did get a Canseco (big whoop) and a Ryan and a Puckett and the much-coveted Coleman rookie card, plus other HOFers like Molitor, Boggs, etc.. So it seems like the pulls are as good as they can be; I'll post some scans when I'm done. If anybody needs any fresh high-grade commons, send me a PM.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I know the Canseco was at one time $135. I remember paying $25 bucks or so for a Crime Dog rookie from the set.