Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1837 Bust Quarter possible R5/R6 - Big Pics

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all,

Picked this up on the bay a short while ago and was wondering if I could get your opinions of it. Based off of the crudy eBay pics I put this coin as a B3 with a rarity level of High R5 possibly R6. Here are my in hand photos and I'm inclined to think that it actually is a B3 like I suspected. Your attribution input is greatly appreciated. Note the line from her chin to her bust is an old scratch and not a die crack...it's not raised and does not extend into her face or bust. Oh yeah, I'd say she gets a VF20/25.

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    certainly looks like a B3 to me. Rare coin! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is definitely a cladiator coin!! Nice.
  • Options

<< <i>That is definitely a cladiator coin!! Nice. >>

image Thanks John! You guys definitely don't have to worry about me making a run for your AU and MS busties that's for sure lol
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin and you have the right reverse for B-3, but check to make sure it isn't B-1 which used the same reverse die. I can't tell from the photo.

Jim
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the coin and you have the right reverse for B-3, but check to make sure it isn't B-1 which used the same reverse die. I can't tell from the photo.

Jim >>

I don't think it's B-1 because of the 7 right off the bat. On a B-1 the upright of 7 is about even with the left of the curl. On this one it is centered like with B-2 and B-3. Also under magnification there are no signs of the die crack above the date to the hair and into S13 and S12.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you nailed it.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    This is my only "rare" quarter so far. How does the R5 possibly R6 effect the premium on the coin? Also, does anyone have any updated info as to whether it is an R5 or R6 definitively?
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    According to the John Reich Journal July 2003 the B-3 quarter is R4.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Bummer. Yeah I read your post and remembered I have the lastest JR Journal...it's an R4 for sure with 81-200 known to exist. Still the highest rarity I have for quarters and my third R4 overall for Busties image
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    My attitude on the Bust Quarters is to not worry about the rarity and just simply buy what I like.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>My attitude on the Bust Quarters is to not worry about the rarity and just simply buy what I like.image >>

Exactly, the rarity is just icing on the cake image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file