Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

cheerios sacagawea

i've mentioned this a couple of times on here in other peoples threads off topic,
but what are the chances that any of these "type II" ended up in the first day
cover mint issue batch. Is it possible?

Comments

• Options
    Anything is possible. But, this is highly unlikely...image
  • Options
    I agree someone would have shouted on the rooftops if one was found in the first day cover.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    If one were found - what would it be worth?

Would $50,000 be about right?
  • Options
    Were these type 2 sacs only found in cheerios boxes?

If so, how could that be? A different die just for cheerios???

I am not getting this.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the reports compiled, it is impossible for anything but the "pattern" to be in the General Mills boxes.(barring a copycat)
    These were packaged and distributed before the mint even "re-struck" the regular issues.

Joe

• Options

still confused here Joe
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks Larry......I think I got it now
  • Options
    I have a question now ..... has PCGS graded any of these yet ?
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't heard it directly from the folks at PCGS, but I understand that they say they will not slab them. I don't know why not. Whether you think it's a variety or a pattern, they're clearly different.

Mike
    SmallDollars.com
  • Options
    My understanding of a pattern is a coin that is minted from a die that was not meant for regular circulation. According to the Red Book a PATTERN is : Experimental or trial coin, generally of a new design, denomination, or metal, while a VARIETY is : A coin's design that sets it apart from the normal issue of that type.

Now, if my understanding is correct, a variety would be an 1858 flying eagle with either Large Letters (LL), or small letters (SL). Or more recently, the Wide AM Lincoln cent ( proof dies on reverse) versus the "normal" business strike. This would be totally different than the 1856 flying eagle that was actually minted before the law was passed "The Act of February 21st, 1857" which basically got rid of Spanish and Mexican coins and large cents.

The 1856 Flying Eagle cent, a pattern, was made to show Congress how the new cent would look. Additional proofs were made for collectors.
    In contrast, did the mint screw up and change the die after making the Cheerios Sacagawea ? I think not, since there were also , I believe, a dozen or so 24K Gold Sacagawea's minted with the same die, of which some are held by the government. This is documented, so how then can we not determine if it is a pattern or a variety ?. It seems simple to me. The Cheerios Sacagawea and the 24K gold versions were minted from a die that was later modified, prior to the issuance of the actual coin. Sounds like a Pattern to me.
  • Options
  • Options
    ldhair, interesting link you provided
    one most interesting things was the below statement:

<< <i>When purchasing a "Cheerios Dollar" still in it's original holder, it would prudent to remember that while
    I believe that they all are, there's no guarantee that all of them are the "Reverse of 1999" pattern. >>

yowzer.......
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome on the other thread, Cullen. I was thinking the same. If people buy the cherrios sacs in the original packaging, they may not be able to even see the reverseText

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file