Home Metal Detecting
Options

Fed up

I did my very first "Test Garden" tonight and wow, am I ever in the dumps guys. Here's my garden plot:

1 Zincoln @ 3" deep-detected and pinpointed to within a fraction of an inch.
1 Wheat Cent @ 3"-no detection.
1 Modern Nickel @ 1"-detected and pinpointed to within a fraction of an inch.
1 Buffalo Nick @ 1" Angry -no detection
1 Modern dime @ 2" - no detection Angry
1 merc dime @ 2" - no detection
1 1964 Quarter @ 4" no detection, Angry Angry
1 Clad quarter @ 4" no detection, Angry Angry Angry
1 Walker Half @ 6" no dirty rotten filthy detection Angry Angry Angry Angry

Not one to give up, I tried my 10X14 DD, thinking mineralized soil. Wrong-the results were comparable to the above. Then I put on my 12.5 Crossfire II, same as above.

There is a nearly new GTAx1250 on the market-cheap.
For the world to know the truth
There can be no greater proof
Than to live the life, live the life
There's no love that's quite as pure
There's no pain we can't endure
If we live the life, live the life
Be a light for all to see
For every act of love will set you free
-M.W. Smith

Comments

• Options
    For me, it will be the one that finds the 11'th 1933 St. Gauden that did not get yanked by the Gov't. From what I understand they are pretty much alike. A couple of bells and whistles between, even some different types of technology, but all the same (IMO)

Freakimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    A machine that only likes small modern?
    Something doesn't sound right.
    Dead batteries?
  • Options
    now that's funny!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I would check that detector out. Something doesn't sound right.

1) there isn't a best, only a best for you.

2)I wouldn't pick anything else other than the CZ3D, But that tector is built for me.

PURPLE!

• Options
    Hey J give the garden a little time for the coin's settle in and then go back over them.
    On another forum that I am part of,one of the older veteran's brought this subject to light.He said your not going to get good reading's from a freshly planted coin,compared to one that has been in the ground awhile.
    I did the same thing and couldn't figure it out until this was pointed out.
    It has something to do with the coin having enough time to create a halo.So give it some time and then retry your garden.HH,Tom
  • Options

<< <i>A machine that only likes small modern?
    Something doesn't sound right.
    Dead batteries? >>

New Energizers
    For the world to know the truth
    There can be no greater proof
    Than to live the life, live the life
    There's no love that's quite as pure
    There's no pain we can't endure
    If we live the life, live the life
    Be a light for all to see
    For every act of love will set you free
    -M.W. Smith

• Options
    I'd call Garrett and see what they say. They should have you send it back in to be checked out.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    There is no best metal detector. But as someone said above, there will be a best for you. For me I jumped back and forth between Whites and Minelab. Now that I have some good solid experience, the Whites DFX worked the best for me. The tones clicked very well with me. I made more finds with it in the same locations.

It can be frustrating finding the right one for you since it takes time and sometimes money. Hang in there though. Once you find it, you will be in hog heaven!

Don't let test gardens get you uptight, they are only good for learning the tones of different coinage but terrible for depth testing.

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    <<There is no best metal detector. But as someone said above, there will be a best for you. For me I jumped back and forth between Whites and Minelab. Now that I have some good solid experience, the Whites DFX worked the best for me. The tones clicked very well with me. I made more finds with it in the same locations.>>

Thats good advice to follow. As AgileMJOLNIR said, it can be costly. So my advice to you is rent the detectors you have in mind first or if you have a friend or relitive who has one of the detectors you have in mind, ask if you can borrow it. Then once you've decided, buy the detector your most satisfied with.

But before doing that, call Garrett and see what the problem is and see if they can fix it.

Edited for capitizationimage
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    Where is the 1280-X Aquanaut on your list? This is the perfect machine for me as I can use it in the forest, on the beach and while Scuba Diving.

As for the problems you are having with your machine; I would first READ THE OWNERS MANUAL!!! Then check the discrimination setting and if all else fails send the machine in for inspection (was it purchased second-hand?).

Also, remember, practice, practice, practice.

Jim
  • Options
    My detector of choice is Minelab Excal II. Trashman can back me up on the difference in number of finds from his XLT. But as we all know the more you use it the better it gets.

I was shocked this summer when I was on vacation in Buffalo. I stopped by the detector shop there and tested a Garrett Ace 250. Great depth and discrimination for a $250 machine. It's become my backup! I recommend it as a great starter!

As far as your test results- you might want to go see your local dealer. He can probably look it over for you. Or send your detector in for a checkup (only if you're sure your sensitivity wasn't set too low). Doesn't Garrett have a good warranty?

Good luck.

Jim