Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

High and Low in Wisconsin

Sure haven't seen any Wisconsin Quarters in circulation for a while. Is it just me? 2004 proof sets are well above issue price, is it the Wisconsin quarter? Did the press coverage of this quarter turn this into a big play? Did the high/low push everyone into keeping them, just in case it might be one of them? And that makes me question if there are there any other modern plays of this scale going on right now, like the marine commem got a lot of press and so did the jeffalo but I have seen th jeffs in circulation...hummmm. Things that make me wonder, but I'm easily amused.

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here in Michigan, I have never received a WI quarter from circulation. Perhaps you are right, everyone is hoarding them in hopes of a score.

The varieties are on the business strikes, not the proofs. So the rise in prices for the 2004 proof sets are not due to the varieties.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found my second Wisconsin eror in change this week. Earler this yr I had found the high leaf and this week I found the low leaf. This new one is a bit more nicked up than the first but it sure beats paying for themimage Living in AZ I guess the chances of finding one must have been better. As for seeing Wisconsin qtrs I see them every day in the change I collect.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I live in Wisconsin and they are pretty common here.
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Here in VT I see a fair share of the Wisconsin Qrts as much as any other - But I have yet to see a high or low leaf. And the Lewis and Clark nickels are nowhere to be seen - a few of the peace medal reverse a long time ago - then Nada. Haven't sen any of the others to even a baggy on from AZ :-)
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is Barry Alvarez's last season as Head coach at Wisconsin... they will be hoarded....imageimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Wi quarters are a little less common here than they were a few months ago.

It is very difficult to draw useful information from such an observation alone with
    new coins which are still being released. New coins tend to go wherever demand
    for that denomination is highest and this can change rapidly leaving an area awash
    in a certain coin but then with dwindling populations as they mix in with the coins of
    that region. Those seen initially here were uncs but now they are mostly AU's but
    much fewer in number. It's likely that better than 90% of these (D WI) have been
    issued by the fed into circulation if the pattern is similar to what has prevailed in the
    past. In time it will be possible to get a good feel for what was saved just by observ-
    ing what wasn't but it's much too early for that.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file