Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New PCGS Hologram?

I know PCGS changed their hologram over a year ago to remove the reference to PNG. However, I just noticed I had two different post-PNG holograms on coins in inventory:

I just got some back from PCGS and they were all like the one on the left so that seems to be the current style.

WH

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I think those Saints are AT.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Nice nickle.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Either way the Saint is sooooooooooo cheesy. It looks like something a third tier slabbing co. would do, not PCGS.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Wayne,

If I can recall, PCGS started using the hologram with the Saint right before the June Long Beach Convention.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    WTCG

Both of these have the Saint on them (see pics).

Speaking of LB, missing seeing you last week.

WH
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I heard the earlier ones are definite upgrades---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Wayne,

I meant the one on the left with the NASDAQ below the PCGS letters.

I wouldn't say that the earlier ones are definite upgrades, though.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Wei, thanks for the clarification!

Beg E, definate upgrades? That would be too easy!

WH
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wayne,

If I can recall, PCGS started using the hologram with the Saint right before the June Long Beach Convention. >>

Can anyone verify this time slot?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The newer style has more space in the window below the hologram for dealer stickers which are usually hard on the holograms.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I submitted coins to PCGS in the first of March 2005 and they came back with the hologram shown on the left, the one with the NASDAQ under the PCGS.

I have never seen the hologram on the right with the NASDAQ under the Saint.

Anyone have more information on the time line when these were each used?
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The one on the right is the older of the two and I believe (but can't say for sure because I haven't checked to se if I have it in my notes) they began in late Dec 2004 (They lost the endorsement over a year ago but they didn't chnge the hologram until considerably later.). I don't know when they switched over to the latest one, but it seems to have been sometime between March and June.
  • Options
    Conder101,

What PCGS number have you assigned to each of the above slab types?
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The older hologram would be PCGS 16. I haven't assigned a number to the newer hologram yet but it will most likely be PCGS 19. (Every time they make a label change like this, it results in three new varieties. One for the bullion coins and modern commems that have no coin or series numbers, one for the regular slabs, and one for the multicoin holders. Assuming the multi coins continue.)
  • Options
    I scanned Heritage auctions and noticed that the May Central States sale was the first one with any of the newer hologram. So, I'd guess they started sometime in April.

WH
  • Options

<< <i>I scanned Heritage auctions and noticed that the May Central States sale was the first one with any of the newer hologram. So, I'd guess they started sometime in April.

WH >>

Wayne,

You're probably right because if I recall correctly, my walkthroughs at the March Baltimore show still had the older holograms on the holders.
  • Options
    The package I mailed to PCGS on 2/27/05 arrived with the newest style holders on 4/5/05. Looks like the newest style holder was started prior to April 1, 2005.

I wonder if anyone received the newest holders prior to my 4/5/05 package.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file