Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is ICG going to become, or is it a reputable TPG service?

Just wondering....

Thanks Russ...I did mean ICG....

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I assume you mean ICG? From what I've seen lately they do seem to be improving in their modern proof grading.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ICG is the only game in town if you wanna slab ancient coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    They could be the best graders on the planet (and they do have Cameron!) but without a grade guarantee and population report they are dust in the wind.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ICG has a long way to go before they become a top tier TPG.

In my dealings with them, they have been fair, but not top notch.

Grades are a couple of points higher at ICG than PCGS/NGC on the coins I collect.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i>They could be the best graders on the planet (and they do have Cameron!) but without a grade guarantee and population report they are dust in the wind. >>

I agree with you
    Nick
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They could be the best graders on the planet (and they do have Cameron!) but without a grade guarantee and population report they are dust in the wind. >>

I agree with you >>

I believe ICG has a grade guarantee.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    I have zero faith in their grading!
  • Options
    ICG is already reputable with Ancients. I believe Cameron is a positive influence on their modern grading where I thought they were weak in the past.
  • Options
    Thanks....I happened upon their web site...so I figured I'd ask here.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree with you >>

I believe ICG has a grade guarantee. >>

They do have a guarantee, anyone have any first hand reports? In particular, have they paid less than greysheet because their coins generally command less money (especially wholesale)?

ICG would go a long way towards a better reputation with a population report. That information has to be on their books and I'm sure they have had many requests to make those numbers available. Their refusal to publish a pop report is a big negative.

As for the guarantee, from
    http://www.icgcoin.com/guarantee.htm

ICG guarantees that all coins submitted to its grading service will be handled with the highest standards of professionalism and integrity. Any Customer may resubmit any coin for review of the grade assigned by ICG if such Customer believes that such coin has been overgraded by ICG. If the coin submitted for review by the Customer receives a lower grade under ICG’s internal review practices than the grade originally assigned, ICG shall, at ICG’s option, either (a) replace the coin, or (b) pay any difference between the current fair market value of such coin at the newly established grade and the current market value of the grade originally assigned to such coin.

The fair market value shall be determined solely by ICG. From time to time, ICG will receive certain Pedigree Coins, Important Rarities, large quantities of coins, bulk submissions, or coins where the identity of the owner has been well publicized or well known throughout the numismatic community. Although ICG may be able to assume the identity of such owners, ICG reserves the right to grade such coins under ICG’s standard practices.

This ICG Guarantee shall not apply to: (a) any clerical error with respect to the description or grade of the coin which would be reasonably noticed upon inspection; (b) any copper coins submitted due to their particular susceptibility to oxidation; (c) any coins subjected to improper storage conditions (such as extreme temperature or extreme conditions etc.) and (d) any coins not encapsulated by ICG.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the answers to your two-part question are no and no.

But as lordmarcovan points out, they are the only game in town for ancients... and I'm glad we have them.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Icg and Anacs should merge to combine their resources.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    The Capped Bust series coins I have seen in ICG holders look to be up to PCGS standards.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    The biggest complaint I have with ICG is that MS70's and PR70's seem to be given out without proper regard.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options

<< <i>The Capped Bust series coins I have seen in ICG holders look to be up to PCGS standards. >>

Which isn't saying much, as PCGS standards aren't up to the standards of most Bust Coin Collectors image

I believe ICG can create, and has somewhat created, a niche for themselves in circulated coins, and early type coins... like lordminivan said, only game in town for ancients... Moderns and UNC Semi-Moderns definately hasn't seemed to be their forte, and they would have a ton of work to do to improve their reputation in that regard... I believe their energy would be better spent building a niche in a different area...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Something to consider:

While PCGS and NGC dominate the dealer to dealer FACTS network, ICG coins are traded daily with many bids/asks listed. I do not recall seeing any generic date ANACS slabs listed - ever.
  • Options
    I don't know but I do know that they lost something special when James Taylor left camp.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Other than very high-graded coins, mostly moderns, I think ICG is fine...though I'd be wary of anything graded 65+. They seem fine on low MS and circulated coins to me.
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202

<< <i>I don't know but I do know that they lost something special when James Taylor left camp. >>

I agree. I had spoke with James a year ago and he said that a pop report was in the works. I havent seen one so I am guessing that that may have been his idea and has since been scrapped.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    that is funny, the pop report was in the works in 2000 as well. they blew their chance to be one of the elite grading services when they started rubberstamping ms70 and pr70 silver and gold eagles for TV, one coin they had on the screen had a big wack in the skirt and it was in a 70 holder.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    They have professionals grading the coins and blind submissions, as well.

As far as I am concerned, their opinion is as valid as PCGS, NGC, & ANACS.

I would not buy any coin sight unseen, unless the condition was not a critical factor.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file