Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1996 D Washington quarter - whatcha' think?

Not the best image but it shows the defect well. The coin is nearly flawless. It has proof like surfaces. What do you think the small struck thru error will do to the coins grade?

Comments

• Options
    Someone look at this quarter! image
    The defect is on the neck.
  • Options
    ...And possibly below the ear. Hard to tell

Freak
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful! It's probably a mint set or souvenir set coin. These often appear to
    be struck on burnished planchets and can be very PL.

It will probably go 66 or 67 (66 if those are scratches on the neck). The strike
    throughs (or planchet flaws) probably aren't bad enough to have a big effect.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all of it is a clean as the obverse it might grade in the MS67 area. Now the bad news the PCGS POP for MS67 in this date is already over 500. As for the error I don't think it is big or great enough to be attributed.
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    NICE!image

Are you going to send it in to be graded? I would be interested to see how it makes out....MS68? Maybe 69?

I like Ike errors myself, but they are so few and far between, I have been dabbling in Quarters as well.
    The 96-D in my Quarter set is only a PCGS MS64, but it's a nice 45% off center.image

Happy Hunting!
    Brian

I LOVE image IKES! image
  • Options

<< <i>If all of it is a clean as the obverse it might grade in the MS67 area. Now the bad news the PCGS POP for MS67 in this date is already over 500. As for the error I don't think it is big or great enough to be attributed.
    image >>

500 ......... Wow! I was hoping for a 68. I have seen modern 69's with more going on then what's on this coin. I'll send it in and cross my fingers. I'm an error collector at heart but This small defect is working against me.
  • Options

<< <i>I like Ike errors myself, but they are so few and far between, I have been dabbling in Quarters as well.
    The 96-D in my Quarter set is only a PCGS MS64, but it's a nice 45% off center.image >>

Nice! That is pretty o/c for the date!
  • Options
    Better pic and the reverse too. I see hairlines in the image but not on the coin in hand. I think it's metal flow lines.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rev is awesome 68 rev but there are a few minor ticks on the obv that make me think 67. But that could be due to the magnification of the pic.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file