Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Other reasons why you might want to consider TruView service.

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just some thoughts.

Despite the arguement as to how the coin looks, I chose to get the TruView service for other reasons.

1. I love the fact that I now have very large, detailed images of my coins that not only allow me to enjoy them from an aesthetic viewpoint, but also from a numismatic one. I can actually study die characteristics, doubling, cuds, chips, pedigree marks, etc... These pics are pretty much perfect from an attribution standpoint. As the number of coins are shot and the database grows, imagine having four 1833 bust dimes lined up with large tru view pics. These are easily edited like any pic in photshop etc, so you could lay out all four in color, add arrows toward variety diagnostics. What a great tool for study!!

2. The picturs are so large and detailed that it allows me to keep me coins in the safety deposit box much more. I can look at my collection whenever I want, almost like I was looking at the coin. I personally do think that they are true to life too....everyone that owns a special coin, knows that angle that the coin looks best when tilted, so I think that I am looking at them how I remember them.

3. The high res images are good enough that I can print out huge images on my photo printer, and make a very nice coffee table book out of them, add descriptions on variety etc on the coin...which I am going to do.

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Those are good reasons for getting any good coin images.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    From a pcgs standpoint, charging for it as a seperate profit center is silly. It should, and should always have been "given" with slabbing. At the right time (ie., eagle eye), as a marketing move, this could have solidified pcgs as the (only) top tier TPG.
  • Options
    They are solidified as the top tpg grader, NGC a second Anacs coming in third. Not sure on sales volume dollrs or market share, mine is by observation. Why should they do for free what they can make mone on, sure its value added, but, if why erode their current profit center?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file