Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are Reveal light bulbs still the main choice

for lighting when photographing coins. Anything else being used.

Thanks. TB

Comments

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    think they r alittle better than common bulbs for color correction

i,ve heard the `ott lights?` are even better....but dont know than much about em personally
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Yeah, someone tell me about OTT lights. I have heard good things and they are expensive (~$100 each). I use Reveal bulbs with varying results.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Are Reveal light bulbs still the main choice

That's what I use but I'm cheap image

• I use three 15 watt 5000K florescent. I tried Revel but did not like the limited cool (well below 5000K) color spectrum.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146

<< <i>NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. >>

excellent!
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    I use OTT Lights, and they aren't $100 each. I have two portable swivel units which use 13W bulbs.

The base unit with bulb can be found for under $50 and replacement bulbs can be purchased on sale for under $20, or you can also use the 13W Daylight (?) brand which is usually under $10 per bulb. I use the default white balance on my Nikon......works for me.image
  • I use the Sylvannia Daylight Incadescents. They seem to not have the reddish cast the GE Daylights give off.
  • What's an OTT light?
  • I used to use reveal lights, but I found that a halogen shows coler and luster much better.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Man I have a lot to learn....

Tomimage
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I use reveal, and when I want to get really fancy I use halogen in conjunction with reveal. Works well.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Reveal bulbs sure make my coin viewing more enjoyable because the yellow is gone.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    More important than the bulb type is a good camera and correctly set white balance. If your photos have a "cast" it is usually easliy corrected by using a custom white balance and a grey card -- that's where a good camera comes in -- many of the cheaper ones don't have that feature. If your camera doesn't have that feature, then fiddling with the bulbs will have a greater effect...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    tru view ott light is the best of the best
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I've tried a bunch of different bulbs. I think I need a better camera!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Beautiful pics Julien! image
  • Reveal bulbs make my coins too red. I have Ott lights which are good for cameo proofs but can make things too blue. If you can color balance your camera you can adjust for those things. Ott lights are advertised as simulating the same light wave lengths as in natural light. Other lights make that same claim. Of course you don't need to simulate natural light when the real thing is available. image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The base unit with bulb can be found for under $50 >>

You can buy 40 Reveal Bulbs for that, and get a variety of wattages.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file