Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think should be the most Valuable US coin.....

Sure there are a lot of super rarities out their........1913 Liberty Head Nickels, Trade Proof Dollars.....Gold Stellas and let's not forget the 1933 Gold Double Eagle. Certainly a case could be made for any of them due to sheer rarity and market demand, but I have a little bit of a different take on it.

If I was to put my finger on the coin I felt was the rarest and most desirable.......I would have to go with 1860 $20 Gold Liberty that was found on the Hunley (Submarine) and was owned by Lt.Dixon. I know most of you have heard the story of how Lt.Dixon was at the Battle of Shiloh and how the coin was in his pocket when he was shot and that the bullet hit the coin which saved his life.

Now for my money...you can't get a more historically significant coin in US history and one with such a complete and fascinating provanance image

I personally feel that a coin like that is priceless or at least worth several times what the 1933 Double Eagle sold for image

Here is a link to a brief article about the finding of the coin:

Friends of the Hunley

I welcome your opinions on which coin you feel should be worth the most along with why you feel that way image

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    The Confederate 1861-O half dollar that President Jefferson Davis carried as a pocket piece during the war of Northern aggression. It sold in 2002 for $550,000.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a trick question?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's got to be the gold Half Union pattern ($50) in the Smithsonian. There are two of them with each slightly different.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>...1913 Liberty Head Nickels, Trade Proof Dollars.....Gold Stellas and let's not forget the 1933 Gold Double Eagle.... >>

This one so I could sell it without loosing anything of value to me. Just for sake of argument all of the ones you listed are not coins except maybe the Trade Dollars which used to be coins. Edit, I stand corrected: There is one 1933 Double Eagle coin.

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Half Unions but I'm with coinguy on this one. The J1776 hands down.
  • Options
    Nocerino18Nocerino18 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I think the 1794 Contursi Dollar. I am drawn to it.
    Coin Superstore's Ebay Auctions
    Personal Ebay Auctions
    My Website
    ---------------------------------------------
    ALWAYS LOOKING TO PURCHASE
    TOP 100 MORGANS / HOT 50
    TOP 50 PEACE VAMS
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    1776 Continental "Dollar"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There is one 1933 Double Eagle coin >>

There are, at an absolute minimum, 11 that are accounted for, and very likely a number of others too.

Edited to add: The fact that, up until now, only one has been declared legal to own, does not change that fact. >>

Don't forget the two in the Smithsonian. I guess out of sight - out of mind.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the unique regular issue stuff like the 1870-S half dime and three dollar gold should be the best, but they continue to be second rate compared to the fantasy coins like the 1913 Liberty nickel and 1804 dollar.
  • Options
    julien: If they are not coins, what are they...boats???image

How come no one said the 1849 $20? That is a COIN, and would sell for more than the J1776 pattern COIN.

The 1794 is really the Carter speciment. Just 'cause CON souri bought it for under a million, and has been pushing its value ever since, doesn't make it even in the top ten.

J1776 is second.

The 1854-s Proof $20, at the smithsonian also, is one coin I thought was the nicest $20 I've ever seen in my life. #3.

The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options

<< <i>julien: If they are not coins, what are they...boats???image... >>

There are not coins just like 1913 Liberty nickels and all Patterns are not. They are either stolen government property or would be considered counterfeit or tokens. To be a coin it must have legal monetary value which they don't. So they may or may not be boats but it is a fact they are not coins.
  • Options
    Julien: Whatever. I hope you follow through on your "facts" and fight against all the auction houses selling them as coins, and work with the government on confiscating all the patterns because they are stolen.

I have quite a few patterns. You could start with my name on your list of confiscation. I'm shaking as I write this.

Today's new pennies don't have any monetary value. Doesn't that mean they are not coins? image

Actually, Julien, I wish everyone felt like yourself. I could buy them so much cheaper!!!!!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've mentioned several times that Lt. Dixon's bullet-bent $20 should be worth WAAAY more than any 1804 dollar or 1933 double eagle.

If, hypothetically speaking, I had unlimited funds and all of the above were available, I would pay far more for Dixon's coin.

It is a national treasure in the truest sense of the word, as I mentioned in this earlier thread.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Some interesting choices.....and I few I wasn't familiar with like the Confederate 1861-O half dollar ....very cool piece I am sure image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Shane,
    I like your choice and the history that goes with it.image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Nova Constellatio pattern set ... the first coins commissioned by the United States of America.
  • Options
    design wise i would say the amazonian set. that set is amazing.
    Nick
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good thread! I really have no idea as to what should be the most valuable but the thread rocks.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a good thread! I really have no idea as to what should be the most valuable but the thread rocks. >>

Thanks......I don't start many that aren't show and tell....but I started thinking about what adds value for me...and frankly...rarity wasn't the top choice but rather the historical significance of a coin........that's what draws me in and has moved me towards Ancients image
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    cant name one but here is a selection

the unique, historic and exquisite $20 gold pattern, Judd 1776

king of siam proof set

1849 double eagle in gold in the smithsonian

amazoniam gold pattern proof set

the half union patterns in the smithsonian

• Options
    A Tonerimage
    Michael
  • Options

<< <i>A Tonerimage >>

After seeing some of yours and knowing about your recent purchases....you may be right image
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    J1776 Hands down. Nice coin Julian image.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options

<< <i>design wise i would say the amazonian set. that set is amazing. >>

That's not a coin rather its a set. The most valuable set would be the King of Siam proof set.

• Options
    If you are talking about a coin produced for circulation, not a pattern or from the midnight mint, I'd say the 1822 half Eagle.(some might argue for the 1825/4 )
    researching the"distinctive paper" LS SS Fracs and even bonds" most notably from the Wilcox era 1869-80
  • Options

<< <i>If you are talking about a coin produced for circulation, not a pattern or from the midnight mint, I'd say the 1822 half Eagle.(some might argue for the 1825/4 ) >>

I agree. Only three known with two in the Smithsonian. And it's a real coin made for circulation unlike most of the coins mentioned in this thread.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Only three known with two in the Smithsonian. And it's a real coin made for circulation unlike most of the coins mentioned in this thread. >>

But......it's not just about rarity and whether the "coin" is "real" - it's also about demand, which is caused/increased by the history, story, beauty, intrigue, etc. >>

Mark....you hit on my point exactly..........rarity makes a coin valuable.........the historical significance is what makes one priceless!!!!!
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think should be the most Valuable US coin..... >>

All the coins in MY collection...of course.

Using Mark's list:

1) Rarity
    All my coins are RARE. I hid them in a barbaque.

2) Beauty
    My coins are the prettiest...EVER! (see barbaque)

3) History
    C'mon! They were all made before I was born...and that was a LONG time ago.

4) Story (not the same as history)
    Boy, if you could hear the stories I could tell.....

5) Provenance
    What does that mean?

jom
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Only three known with two in the Smithsonian. And it's a real coin made for circulation unlike most of the coins mentioned in this thread. >>

But......it's not just about rarity and whether the "coin" is "real" - it's also about demand, which is caused/increased by the history, story, beauty, intrigue, etc. >>

You are of course correct. I forgot about the effect HYPE has on a coin's value.

• Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    - Although I like the 1776 pattern and it'd beauty, I can't give it my highest vote. For me the Amazonian Gold is the slight winner.

keoj
  • Options
    I would also vote for the 1849 $20 Proof in the Smithsonian, followed by the "$10 size, double thickness $20 Ultra High Relief" also in the Smithsonian.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Apparently many all have approximately the same opinion and then there are a few others but that's what makes this a great thread. It's the type of thread I print out for just great information. No bickering, complaining, insulting, etc., just a lot of good information.
    I really don't want to pick one myself because then that's the one I will always wish I had.
    Carl
  • Options
    Seriously, which wold you think was worth more?

1) The J-1776. An experimental pattern, which is just a fancy designer's experimentation with his art work? That the J-1776 was struck just for comparison as a "consolation prize" design AFTER the public and St Gaudens AGREED the FIGURE of liberty was nicer and more favorable than the HEAD-DRESS of liberty for the king of coins at that time - the $20 gold piece. The head-dress was a SECOND favorite - thus being used for the $10.

What if there had been only ONE 1907 "Ultra High Relief" $20? Which would be worth MORE????

or

2) 1849 $20. Finally, after the success of the gold rush, and the fancy yellow metal reaching the east, federal legislation was enacted to get in gear and mint gold dollars and $20's. Another great coin engraver and artist in American history, Longacre, designed the $20 in 1849, but circulation production was delayed because of the high relief and the coining process back then couldn't mass produce them. More than one was minted, but today it is believed only one exists. It (they) were the first attempt by the U.S. Mint to produce the $20 gold peice.

I would bet that the latter would bring more at auction, though we will never know.

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>1849 double eagle in gold in the smithsonian >>

What about the one that is NOT n the Smithsonian? If that one ever shows up again will it set records, or will its history be obscure enough that that the hype won't be able to carry it?
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to insist on the New York Style Brasher Doubloon (specifically the unique Punch on Breast specimen) for the following reasons:

1) Rarity
    As a variety, the Punch on Breast is unique. As a type, Brasher's New York Style Doubloons are incredibly rare, with a total of seven NY-Style Doubloons known, plus one Half Doubloon.

2) Beauty
    Aesthetics are a matter of taste. That being said, the Brasher Doubloon has long been considered one of the most beautiful coins in the pantheon of American Numismatics.

3) History
    Brasher Doubloons were the first gold coins struck to what would become the U.S. Standard for gold coins (24.75-grains fine gold to the dollar), they were the first gold coins to be denominated in dollars (they traded at $15 apiece), The New York Style Doubloon was the first gold coin struck using a distinctly American design (Great Seal of the United States on the Obverse/Seal of the State of NY on the Reverse), furthermore, Brasher's Doubloons were the first gold coins struck specifically for use in the U.S. Furthermore, the Punch on Breast Doubloon is of an earlier die state than other New York Style Doubloons, making it the first of these important pieces struck.

4) Story (not the same as history)
    They were struck by George Washington's next door neighbor - plus, despite the fact that all of the reasons listed above were unknown until the past 15 years, Brasher Doubloons have been considered centerpieces of many of the greatest collections ever assembled. As such, they have long brought record shattering prices whenever they appear at auction. Add to that this story about the Brasher, John Ford, Mrs. Norweb, Walter Breen and an errant candy bar:

Candy Bar Story

5) Provenance
    Bushnell and Garrett owned the Punch on Breast - need I say more?

I neglected to add that the Punch on Breast Doubloon is in private hands - in other words, it can be bought and sold...

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file