Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions about SEGS

I have a chance to purchase a 1886 $1 gold Ch. MS64 PL graded by SEGS. I seen a lot regarding grading services here but nothing about SEGS.

Thanks ... Ken
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I don't consider them on the same level as the big three.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Buy the coins, not the holders image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    IMO, SEGS is equivalent to raw.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've generally had good luck with them and have found them to be as competent as ANACS and better than NGC IMO. For example, I recently had two coins slab with PCGS-both cracked out of SEGS slabs. A 1934 DDO quarter graded MS64 by SEGS that got an MS66 (!!!-I made several thousand on that one) and a 1937-D 3 leg that was SEGS MS61 and got an MS62. I doubt that they would have even crossed at the same grade had I sent them in for a crossover tho. However, market perception is not too good.
  • Options

<< <i>Opinions about SEGS >>

Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    SEGS typically overgrades by a point or two.

As others mentioned, consider the coin raw and grade yourself.
  • Options
    I don't personally trust SEGS grading........I am sure their are some real winners in their holders....but I have seen a lot of AT and Problem coins in their holders that I know would not have made it into NGC, PCGS, or ANACS holders, The best advice already given is to buy the coin and not the holder so.......judge the coin on it's own merit. image
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    The only coins I had in SEGS holders were cracked out and sent to PCGS. They all came in a point to two lower.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    SEGS is plastic just like any of the others...and as with any of the others I completely ignore what the plastic says. I look for what the coin tells me and buy accordingly.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    I sent a SEGS coin graded PR66 to PCGS and it was BB trying for PR65 minimum.
  • Options
    If you would buy the coin if it was not in a SEGS slab or any other holder for that matter, then buy the coin. There are still some coins in second and third tier slabs that are correctly graded and occasionally even undergraded. Believe it or not there are even some coins in top tier slabs that are not correctly graded. Learning how to grade can greatly enhance getting one's moneys worth when buying or selling.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Buying a coin in any plastic, you have two things to go on: the opinion of the TPG and your own opinion, of the coin itself. In the instances where you do not trust/are unfamiliar with the TPG you still have that all important second opinion to go on. Is the grade on the holder accurate? I don't know. I assume you've seen the coin.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchased an 1886 MS 64 PL Morgan in a SEGS holder.
    Sent it to ANACS.

Came back MS 64. No PL.

My only experience thus far with SEGS. Neither good nor bad I guess.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    I've crossed two Buff 5c at higher grades from SEGS slabs. Just my experience. In other words.....they were MS63...MS64 SEGS slabs...cracked out and went MS64, MS65 PCGS. Chris
  • Options
    DismeguyDismeguy Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    I've found SEGS circulated coins to be accurately graded, but any mint state over MS63 is overgraded by at least 1 point.
    Gerry Fortin's Rare American Coins Online Storefront and Liberty Seated Dime Varieties Web- Book www.SeatedDimeVarieties.com Buying and Selling all Seated Denominations....
  • Options
    Why is SEGS still in business?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a coin in a SEGS "problem" holder which PCGS slabbed on the first try....go figure.......
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is SEGS still in business? >>

To make money, the same reason PCGS is still in business.
  • Options
    SEGS sucks--I bought a SEGS bust dime (no notation) and discovered it was tooled--took a bath on it.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no comment

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    No what I mean is why is SEGS still in business. I haven’t meet a single dealer or collector who uses their services and many will not buy coins in their holders, especially sight unseen. With all of those reasons how do they get enough business to keep their doors open?
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No what I mean is why is SEGS still in business. I haven’t meet a single dealer or collector who uses their services and many will not buy coins in their holders, especially sight unseen. With all of those reasons how do they get enough business to keep their doors open? >>

For the same reason NTC, PCI, etc. are still in business. Certain dealers use their services for "their own" reasons.
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    can a segs be considered authentic?that is the question
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With all of those reasons how do they get enough business to keep their doors open? >>

What's really the overhead to keep it up and running? Very minimal if you do it right. Once you have your slab-o-matic equipment operational, all you need is a PO box.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file