Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Todays arrival.............1/200 of a dollar........I won't buy from this forum member again

Decided to start with the first hole in my 7070 dansco and go from there.

Bought the coin from ebay and over all I'm pleased, however I do have a question,

What constitutes a "problem free " coin and is this such a coin ???

I also would like opinion on grade, please.

Herb

Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am no expert on early copper, but since you asked, I do not consider this coin to be problem-free. There is a little bit of corrosion on the reverse, old scratches on the obverse, and what is that red-orange color on the portrait? I would consider the coin to have VG-10 details (borderline VG/F). At the right price, it could be the perfect coin for your Dansco album. image
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a nice coin but not problem free.
  • Options
    To answer your question, a 'problem free' coin is generally defined as one without any distractiuons but honest wear. "Problems" in that context would be things like scratches, corrosion, cleaning, artificial toning, etc. A problem free coin could be any grade, but generally is only used as a qualifier on circulated coins to indicate that it is original and the grade represents only wear through circulation.

I love Half Cents by the way. I would agree that the one you have there would grade VG taking everything into account.image
  • Options
    Yep, I kinda sorta knew the answer to my own question. I was hoping you guys would tell me "problem free" for a 200 year old coin might be different then for a newer coin..image

Herb

Note to self: ask questions before buying, ask questions before buying, ask questions before buying,
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Just a little update to the "problem free" coin

here is the ebay auction

You make up your own mind about what the seller is selling, as a fellow forum member I thought he was selling a problem free coin. So much for that assumption.

I hope all forum members, new and old, can walk away with some sort of lesson from my foolishness.

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    That's certainly problem free, but only for him. Have you tried to return it? What did he say? Or are you just jumping the gun and ranting?
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>That's certainly problem free, but only for him. Have you tried to return it? What did he say? Or are you just jumping the gun and ranting? >>

HTubbs is known for his utter disregard of established standards and practices, I wouldn't bother even trying to return anything to him... Or do business with him in the first place.
  • Options

<< <i>Just a little update to the "problem free" coin

here is the ebay auction

You make up your own mind about what the seller is selling, as a fellow forum member I thought he was selling a problem free coin. So much for that assumption.

I hope all forum members, new and old, can walk away with some sort of lesson from my foolishness.

Herb >>

Looks to me like a little photoshopping was done to soften the auction pic image Most of the scratches are not evident like they are in your picture. This sellers a BUM !! image
  • Options
    Returning is a mute point, I'm keeping the coin it's in my dansco. Seller said return it and gave me a sob story of how he lost $7 already, I didn't want him ot lose any more.image

My point with this post is that a forum member posted on the BST forum linking his ebay auction selling a "problem free" coin

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's certainly problem free, but only for him. Have you tried to return it? What did he say? Or are you just jumping the gun and ranting? >>

I just knew someone would try to defend this seller that sells junk to one of our forum members. People should wander over to the Buy Sell Trade Forum and just see how this guy treats his fellow human beings. This guys word is worthless and he is lower than the stuff that sinks to the farthest depths of the ocean.

Read this BST Thread.

And This One

Ken
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Ken, your URL is bad but surely you must be linking the thread where he STILL OWES money for the benefit auction for the Katrina victims.
  • Options
    Not a bad coin except for the scratches, corrosion, and cleaning. HTubbs would have been ok except for calling the coin an exception to these problems. But the coin was clearly pictured and anyone with a lick of sense would have immediately seen that the coin was a mess.
    My advice to you is to not buy a coin that you don't know anything about. IMHO
    Regards
    Gary
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options

<< <i>Not a bad coin except for the scratches, corrosion, and cleaning. HTubbs would have been ok except for calling the coin an exception to these problems. But the coin was clearly pictured and anyone with a lick of sense would have immediately seen that the coin was a mess.
    My advice to you is to not buy a coin that you don't know anything about. IMHO
    Regards
    Gary >>

This is good advice. It's also good advice to just not purchase coins from HTubbs.
  • Options
    Obviously the coin has numerous scratches and the red spot in the middle of the obverse is from cleaning. IMO, the sellers description was deceptive and dishonest.

This is an perfect example of a coin which The Early American Coppers club (EAC) would describe as scudzy.

Curious as to why you left positive feedback for this seller???
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "These early half cents are hard to find in lower circulated grades without the normal problems: scratches,corrosion,cleaning,etc. This one is an exception!

This is of course NOT a "problem free" coin, I can clearly see the scratches in his auction.

So, where is the "Neg"?

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>

I just knew someone would try to defend this seller that sells junk to one of our forum members. People should wander over to the Buy Sell Trade Forum and just see how this guy treats his fellow human beings. This guys word is worthless and he is lower than the stuff that sinks to the farthest depths of the ocean.

Read this BST Thread

Ken >>

Humm defend him or asking a question? I don't know you from adam either, it's a question. Funny how some read into these post more than there intent. He answered the question and that's what I was wanting to know. He said he take it back and the buyer said NO. I've been bit by sending stuff back a few times too and I don't know the seller but at least let me ask a question. I still don't know who to believe but at least a honest answer was given. What I have noticed is someone in the "click" on this board is given the benfit of the doubt but outsiders are trashed.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But the coin was clearly pictured and anyone with a lick of sense would have immediately seen that the coin was a mess. >>

Not necessarily. The degree to which one will be able to see the scratches in the auction image will vary by monitor. For example, the monitor I'm on right now, (which happens to be a perfectly calibrated CRT graphics unit), renders the image in such a way that it's difficult to see the problems. But, if I check it on a overly bright flat panel I have here, it's glaringly obvious.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Your half cent doesn't look all that bad.
    The recut bottom on the right foot of the R is normal as is the missing left foot of the T, for this coin.
    There is only one die variety for 1807. There are 4 die states.
    This appears to be die state 2, possibly die state 3. Is there a small die crack coming off the upper right corner of the 7? If there is, it's die state 3. If not, die state 2. You may be able to see it better in hand with a loupe, than on this picture. I can't see a crack.
    Die state 1 with strong dentils on both sides is rare.

Ray
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if it's still within the seven day return period, i'd contact the seller and tell him i'd like to excercise that option.
  • Options

<< <i>Ken, your URL is bad but surely you must be linking the thread where he STILL OWES money for the benefit auction for the Katrina victims. >>

Two links in thread now that work.

Ken
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I constantly block cookies from Hayden here on the forum. Not a biggie, but no one else here cookies me.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    image Smooth transaction, will not deal with again, sorry!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    OOOOHHH crappy copper!
  • Options
    I constantly block cookies from Hayden here on the forum. Not a biggie, but no one else here cookies me.

I would cookie you if I knew how. image
  • Options
    Thanks for the PM Ken, I was just asking a question. I'm sure I blew that out of proportion

Rick image
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Is there a thread of ripoff artists we can start and TTT to keep at the top?
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the PM Ken, I was just asking a question. I'm sure I blew that out of proportion

Rick image >>

Rick I jumped too soon. I should have made my point in a different manner.

Cheers.

Ken
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy who tried to carve his initials is illiterate??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Well, here we are again. I did a purchase based on tubbies description and sent them to another forum member as a swap set....I have the original coins now and they are crap but I keep them to remind me that there are people out there who do this for a living.

Just another common seller.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    it's a shame when people bring up old trash that has no current worthimage
  • Options
    You purchased the coin as a problem free coin? And you expect people to take you seriously as a dealer?
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You purchased the coin as a problem free coin? And you expect people to take you seriously as a dealer? >>

Grading is subjective,in my honest opinion it's problem-free for the grade,date and type. >>

Right. In my subjective grading opinion, this Fugio is problem free:

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Grading is subjective,in my honest opinion it's problem-free for the grade,date and type.

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    I think I have to side with Htubbs here. No it is not a problem free coin, but the buyer was happy with it. Hayden offered a full refund plus shipping both ways to the buyer and the buyer said he liked it and would keep it. It is a done deal and this thread should never have been written. Hayden said that he should not have had "problem free" in the auction title.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thiggy, that Fugio does have a teeny problem... it's a red X. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Thiggy, that Fugio does have a teeny problem... it's a red X. image >>

I see it just fine.image
  • Options

<< <i>Thiggy, that Fugio does have a teeny problem... it's a red X. image >>

Your name servers are malfunctioning.
  • Options
    Here's the real problem with the Tubbs ebay auction:

<< <i>These early half cents are hard to find in lower circulated grades without the normal problems: scratches,corrosion,cleaning,etc. This one is an exception! Take a look at the pics: >>

Doesn't this statement imply that the coin has NO SCRATCHES OR CORROSION?
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's the real problem with the Tubbs ebay auction:

<< <i>These early half cents are hard to find in lower circulated grades without the normal problems: scratches,corrosion,cleaning,etc. This one is an exception! Take a look at the pics: >>

Doesn't this statement imply that the coin has NO SCRATCHES OR CORROSION? >>

hardly any compared to what these usaully have in circ grades,plus at the price the buyer won this coin for he shouldn't be complaining at all! >>

It's good that you've made these affirmative statements here, it should prevent quite a few more buyers from ever making the mistake of purchasing anything from you.
  • Options

<< <i>image Smooth transaction, will not deal with again, sorry!!!!!!!!!! image >>

Smooth transaction= coin was delivered.

Will not deal with again="problem free"

Hayden one more time...................I feel that as a forum member and a respected dealerimage you should never have put problem free in the title.......I as a fool took your word as such. Yes you said I could return the coin, it ain't the coin, it's you and the way you conduct your dealings... it ain't the coin, it's you trying to blow smoke up peoples asses..........it ain't the coin, it's my fault for taking your word..........Did I mention it ain't the coin???

Your correct nuff said,

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    hardly any compared to what these usaully have in circ grades,plus at the price the buyer won this coin for he shouldn't be complaining at all!

Hayden:
    With remarks like that- you will have a hard time proving that you can grade coins. The coin would be BB'd at pcgs and at ngc, and it would have a net G detail grade due to the corrosion and the scratches.

I'm not a crappy copper collector- but fact on grading is not subjective when YOU advertise it in such manner as to make the buyer believe that you knwo what you are doing.

• Options
    Alright lets get the popcorn,

Since Tubby elected to post our pm's I might as well continue

Date Posted: Oct/05/2005 11:14 PM
    You know that what you are doing is considered slander?

WTF ????

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Alright lets get the popcorn,

Since Tubby elected to post our pm's I might as well continue

Date Posted: Oct/05/2005 11:14 PM
    You know that what you are doing is considered slander?

WTF ????

Herb >>

I'd be worried more about FRAUD on his part, but it isn't happening on a $50 coin. I wouldn't consider sending that puppy back now.
  • Options
    slan·der Audio pronunciation of "slander" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (slndr)
    n.

1. Law. Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
    2. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.

There was no "false statement", which is implicit in the definition of slander.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    It is a done deal and this thread should never have been written.

Personally, I think this thread should have been written, and glad that it did........
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Perhaps he meant the coin was $51, but all the problems with it were free image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file