Home U.S. Coin Forum

Weekend Poll: Are coin collectors less likely to have extra-marital affairs?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's dullsville here, today, and I have been holding back on this one for a while. We recently learned that a couple with whom we are friends is having marital problems. A couple years ago, when he told me he (the husband) was interested in reviving his dormant coin collection, I encouraged him, invited him to shows, etc., but he never followed through. It turns out he was following through with the secretary, instead. image As my wife has learned the details along with her friend (the wife) and divulged them to me, I have replied with platitudes like "a man has got to have hobbies" and "if he had coins (like me), he would not have the time or interest to get into trouble", etc. So, is a man (or woman) who collects coins less like to have an extra-marital affair?

Edited: I should also note that the money spent on coins could be dwarfed by what might be spent on an affair and its aftermath. I would hate to waste good coin money on some woman!

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly....go mention "coin collecting" to attractive women.....you ain't getting any then!!!!
    Once married, THEN you can spring it to the woman that you are a nerd image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    A man or woman who collects coins is more likely not to have anyone to cheat on.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I've been to a bunch of coin shows. There is no chance to pick up women there. So coin collectors are less likely to have an affair.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Cheating is even more expensive, potentially, than buying coins. And a collector may know they'll have to sell their coins if they're busted and ordered to pay alimony and/or child support through the nose.
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    I say more.

...affairs with their coins.image
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I doubt there's any correlation. I don't think people have affairs only because they have nothing else to occupy their time.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• More.
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Go read some xrays!

If there's a desire, there's a way, regradless of hobbies. Just look at Breen (though I'd rather not)...
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cheating is even more expensive, potentially, than buying coins. And a collector may know they'll have to sell their coins if they're busted and ordered to pay alimony and/or child support through the nose. >>

That's why you bury your coins in the backyard and buy a metal detector. Let her think you are a metal detecting geek ....just don't let her know that is where your coins get hidden image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>Are coin collectors less likely to have extra-marital affairs? >>

Ask my lawyer. If I answer this question, it'll probably cost me even more image

j/k (thankfully) image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think people have affairs only because they have nothing else to occupy their time.

Okay, let me re-phrase the question: Is the type of person who would collect coins be less likely to have an affair--or perhaps less likely to be married in the first place?
  • I'll take the 5th, but you can ask any of my 3 ex wives. All my exes live in Texas!

P.S. I finally got it right this time.

• << <i>
    Okay, let me re-phrase the question: Is the type of person who would collect coins be less likely to have an affair--or perhaps less likely to be married in the first place? >>

I think it depends how hardcore a collector you are. The more hardcore, the less likely girls will be interested in you.
    And that goes for any nerd hobby.
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I think guys with wives that initiate some hot lovin' frequently are less likely to have an affair, regardless of hobby.

Unless of course his hobby IS cheating.

I'll stick to coins and video games.

(and cat juggling)
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK:

I wonder if this post is really a disguised form of obtaining a bigger coin budget under the platform of being a good boy?

I certainly have used this argument with my wife many times!

By the way, been married 25 years and have been faithful to her.

Another way of looking at it is that an expensive coin hobby is still cheaper than a divorce!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • If he collects Bust halves or 1917 Type 1 SLQ's he probably is less likely to cheat. image
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Ordinarily, I would say that coin collectors would be less likely to have "affairs"; but, If I ever see a lady that looks like the lady on the 1916/17 type 1 SL Quarter---LOOKOUT!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    Collecting coins IS my extra-marital affair.image

She feels very comfortable when I tell her I'm going to a coin show.

But if she ever matches the bank withdrawals with the dates of the coin shows I'm a dead man.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Collecting coins IS my extra-marital affair.image

She feels very comfortable when I tell her I'm going to a coin show.

But if she ever matches the bank withdrawals with the dates of the coin shows I'm a dead man.

Joe >>

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less likely.

Coin collection = Community property

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    It is possible to have more than one mistress!
    Trime
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I do think there is a dork factor going on, so that a correlation would exist between collecting coins and not having significant interactions with many females..... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • From my experiences women are just not into coins or coin collectors. I have asked several women and they think coins are boring. But, when they realize that some are expensive they tend to be somewhat interested. That is my observations they like the suspense of some coins being very expensive but as far as there history or who collects them they can care less.
  • HA ! If they did there would be no replies on this post...this site...

Freak image
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think people have affairs only because they have nothing else to occupy their time.

Okay, let me re-phrase the question: Is the type of person who would collect coins be less likely to have an affair--or perhaps less likely to be married in the first place? >>

RYK,

On the surface I would agree with your wife, but judging from what I see and know from the professional dealers' perspectives, I would say that the rate of infidelity is higher than in general society.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • I voted no because one's hobbies are usually low on the list of hot issues couples often have. While "money" is in the top 5, money spent on a hobby is not the big issue there.

<I should also note that the money spent on coins could dwarf what might be spent on an affair and its aftermath.>

I disagree! An affair and its aftermath could be the most expensive thing that ever happens to a man!!!!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i seriously doubt an interest in coins will keep the stallion in the corral.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Women are not as beautiful as coins...... I would sleep with Lady Liberty any day image.... ha ha ha...

I love the question posed.... I have been laughing for ten minutes
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, although my wife DID have a tendancy to kinda look at me sideways when I said I was taking a weekend trip to chase some busts!!imageimage

Jim
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <I should also note that the money spent on coins could dwarf what might be spent on an affair and its aftermath.>

I disagree! An affair and its aftermath could be the most expensive thing that ever happens to a man!!!!

I meant that the other way around. I agree. Affairs and divorce should be much more expensive than coins.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i seriously doubt an interest in coins will keep the stallion in the corral. >>

Be careful or your wife may make that stallion into a gelding.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin collectors DO NOT fool around at all------Just ask Cameronimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << i seriously doubt an interest in coins will keep the stallion in the corral. >>

YUP!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file