Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2005 BU ASE - AT Toning Experiment/Contest - (1st Month Pics - POST HERE)

So you don't have to scroll all the way down to see the pictures, I will start a new thread each month when the pictures are due to be posted. I will always include my orginal post as you can see below.

BTW - ANYONE who is in the process of artificially toning a coin as an experiment and wants to post it, please do. You won't be a part of the contest, but it would be great to see the pics!

OK - Today ends the first month of the experiment/contest. Please post your pics sometime within the next 7 days. I am not one of the contestants, but decided to play along for the fun of it. image

I started this coin on Sept. 1 and so far here are my results.

------- This is my original post on Aug. 22, 2005

<< <i>I want to have a contest. I will give 6 people on this board one 2005 GEM BU Silver Dollar. They will have 6 months to "tone" it as best they can. After the 6 months are up, the top three coins are kept by the people who toned them, and the other 3 coins are sent back to me. Again, I want to say that this is purely for fun, I have no intention of using any information for illegal purposes.

OKAY - These are six contestants!
speer34
GaCoinGuy
eyoung429
Capstick
CarlWohlforth
Relayer

Conditions:
1. You must be able to take pictures and post your ongoing results every month, both obv. and rev.
2. You must reveal the process you used, but only after the final vote.
3. Voting - This board will decide the winners.

GOOD LUCK!
Trey Hamil

image >>

Comments

• Options
    Method and instructions please.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

I'm stuck in Dallas and won't be able to post a picture until next week image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Wow! Mine is going slower and may not be colorful.

• Options
    ttt, inquiring minds want to know!
  • Options
    2bucks2bucks Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    image You're contest gave me and my dad the idea of doing a experiment too. We are using kennedy and franklin half dollars instead of silver eagles. We put one coin wrapped in old brown paper in a old envelop with stuff that has sulfur in it. Like iron pyrite, MSM tablets(it's like a vitamin tablet), aluminum sulfate powder (my dad uses it in our garden), matches, selenium tablets(it's like a vitamin too), epsom salts and dried onion flakes. We looked up on the internet for what had sulfur in it and that's why we are using what we are using. We closed the envelops with paper clips and put them in a real sunny window. We did that about a month ago.

We haven't looked at them yet. image
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    I'm posting these images for Capstick.

He says - "Nothing happened as of yet but don't count me out. image"

• Options
    I will get some better pics later but here is how it's going so far.

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    CapstickCapstick Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm posting these images for Capstick.

He says - "Nothing happened as of yet but don't count me out. image"

image >>

These are mine. Not sure why no color yet but in the end I will prevail. image
  • Options
    Question about the first coin posted. What causes the ugly, splotchy, almost brush stroke like, areas? Is that where the coin probably has contaminents such as oil, finger grease, etc on it so it is not toning as much?
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing...
    My Web Sites
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will get some better pics later but here is how it's going so far.

image >>

Match head?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Question about the first coin posted. What causes the ugly, splotchy, almost brush stroke like, areas? Is that where the coin probably has contaminents such as oil, finger grease, etc on it so it is not toning as much? >>

This is the first coin I've ever tried to tone. I should have given it an acetone bath first, but did not. I'm guessing it's my fingerprints. This is just an experiment, so I'm not concerned.
  • Options

<< <i>

BTW - ANYONE who is in the process of artificially toning a coin as an experiment and wants to post it, please do. You won't be a part of the contest, but it would be great to see the pics! >>

Here I am!

I've been AT toning a SAE for 11 months now Here's a BEFORE and AFTER:

BEFORE

AFTER (11 months later)

Click here to see in between photo results

imagein between results
  • Options

<< <i>

This is the first coin I've ever tried to tone. I should have given it an acetone bath first, but did not. I'm guessing it's my fingerprints. This is just an experiment, so I'm not concerned. >>

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that effect on other coins and wondered what it was.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing...
    My Web Sites
  • Options
    ChuckC - Thanks for showing your results so far. Very nice colors. Anyone else have pics - please post them!

Still waiting for pics from:

GaCoinGuy, speer34 and Relayer...........

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    imageimage
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is basically the same as original, with a few brownish spots starting to show. I apologize about the lack of pics so far, I have been busy moving and getting everything setup. We just got the internet back on WEdnesday, after the satelite guys chopped the underground phone line putting the pole in the ground for the dish. Gonna get some pics in the morning and get them posted. If I had to say which of the posted is most like mine so far, it'd have to be Carls.
    imageimage

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    TTT ... any results for this month?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file