Home Metal Detecting
Options

Great Finds by a Newbie

Hello All,

I've been lurking for some time now and have started to MD a little over a month ago. I live in Deerfield, MA...a great New England colonial area but searching is very limited due to private property etc. Anyway, I got permission to hunt a farm a few miles from Deerfield center and have been out 4 times and have gotten the following:

1786 Connecticut Copper
1774 One Reale (Mexico minted)
1948 British Half Crown (how did that get in the field?)

and my latest yesterday was a large cent.....flowing hair 1798.

The conn. copper and the large cent are in pretty worn shape with corrosion and vertigris. How to clean copper?

To say the least....I'm psyched about the areas I've been hunting and have a number of old cellar holes in line.

Thanks to all of you for the invaluable information.

Bill

Comments

• Options
    Whoa! those are some incredible finds!
    Welcome.
    What detector do you have anyway?
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    WoW---- Nice finds!!! Try to get photos or a scan.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yeah, Please do.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    I'm really digitally challenged but my wife has a good camera....I'll try to get some pictures later. I have a Tesoro Lobo LST that I purchased primarily for nugget hunting up in Maine....still haven't used it for the purpose yet!
  • Options
    There are a few places that might yield up a nugget or two. Where were you thinking of going?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Man Placergold great find's and can't wait to see them.HH,Tom
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Wow, sounds like you have a killer site.
  • Options
    Went out today for a couple of hours and found a colonial letter stamp...I think, and a couple of musket balls. No coins!! I guess I'm spoiled. Lots of square and corroded nails and pieces of brick. Must have been a structure on this corn field at one time.
  • Options
    What kind of detector do you have?
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    I have a Tesoro Lobo LST with earphones.
  • Options
    OMG it's not a GARRETT! Finally! LOL

Just kidden. image to the forum fella/lady

PURPLE!
  • Options
    <<OMG it's not a GARRETT! Finally! LOL>>
    Thank God, especially after that quarrel i had with millenium over the DFX and the GTi 2500
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    Thank God, especially after that quarrel i had with millenium over the DFX and the GTi 2500

I didn't view it as a quarrel, I viewed it as an exchange of opinions while everyone maintained their composure. image
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>especially after that quarrel i had with millenium over the DFX and the GTi 2500 >>

LOL......you haven't been in many quarrels have you?.....Just kidding, I was not angry or mad or anything like that.....I thought it was a trading of opinions and thoughts....nothing more.

Still friends?image
  • Options
    I should have worded it differently, but yeah, by quarrel I ment trading opinions and thoughts.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 1798 large cent is considered Draped Bust, not Flowing Hair.

Amazing stuff!

Even though you might be a newbie, it sounds like you have earned the coveted "You Suck" award!

(This is one of the few places where being told you suck is a compliment.) image

I envy you New England folk more than anybody but the Olde England folk!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Great finds!!! I have detected in New Jersey and Vermont and still have not foud diddly squat. I think that someone has detected the cabin we have in Vermont( which was built in 1820) and the inlaws in Princeton have a nice lawn in the downtown area so I can't search there. I have searched the parks, but my detector probably will not go as deep as I need. Anyhow, I have to agree with LM that you suck!!!! You are hooked for life. -Dan
  • Options
    Hey placergold! Outstanding finds indeed!!

<< <i>I envy you New England folk more than anybody but the Olde England folk! >>

No doubt!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you all for the "you suck" award. Lets just hope its not beginners luck and more are to follow....shortly! LM, you are right...it is the draped bust type...I can't determine the sub-type it is since it is somewhat corroded and has verdigris on it. The Conn. Copper and the large cent are now having a prolonged bath in extra virgin olive oil.

Found a couple of buttons today....no coins.
  • Options
    Wow, four totally different coins found in the same area after only four times out.....and three from the 1700's. What are the chances of that??? Too bad you are digitally challenged and they are taking the prolonged bath. I think most people would have been grabbing their cameras and posting photos as soon as they could to show off the finds!! I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    The reale is in great shape....I'll try to get a photo of that later today. The other three are copper and have been in the soil for 200 or more years and....they look it and would not make very good pictures. How long should I keep them in the olive oil? Both the Conn. Copper and the large cent are pretty worn.

• Options
    <<Even though you might be a newbie, it sounds like you have earned the coveted "You Suck" award!>>
    We realy should make one of those up and add it to the monthly contests. I'm not joking.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

imageimageimage
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro