Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Odd looking coin

Hi, I came across this coin at a yard sale. Looks like someone (with a lot of spare time) has etched out the back of the coin's design and filled it in with grass or plastic?

Has anyone see this done before or know if it's worth anything?

Cheers
John
Coin Front
Coin Back

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I can hardly keep back the tears.
  • Options
    Yes, I've seen this before the back says "Honi soit qui mal y pense" or "shamed be the person who thinks evil of it".
    It was a famous Brit motto in French.

I would also think that the filling is either wax or crayons.

Here's a Link to the history of The Most Noble of The Garter an exclusive knighthood with only 20 members.

Here's the coin on british eBay link with a little history.
    There's also an album with that name some fan may have made himself a tribute piece.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, Collector!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
  • Options
    That is a low to low-moderate quality example of 19th century enameling. Unfortunately the enamel has chipped in the fourth quadrant of the arms. These are collectable and yours probably has a value in the $20 range or so as an example of Victorian artwork.
  • Options

Roy

• Options
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Conder101 said.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Thank you for the replys, and thanks for the Welcome.

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Cool rainbow toning. image
    Obscurum per obscurius