Home Metal Detecting
Options

Minelab GP3000

Hey guys/gals,

Anyone out there familiar with this one. I have had it about a year and have taken it out about 6 times. I was wondering if anyone has some really good settings for the discrimination ??? I have tried to adjust to bypass all the pull tops but by the same token I haven't gotten used to the sounds to listen for. Any help would be appreciated.

Freakimage

Comments

• Options
    Bypass pulltops and you risk missing smoe nice stuff!
  • Options
    Your right ! It seems I scan the pages and these guys are pulling up some very nice finds. I think my best is a 1995 quarter. I will have to find some better spots and keep trying.

Tom
  • Options
    when it comes to audibles, i think the best way to learn is to setup your own test bed in your yard. Take various items both good and trash and bury them in your yard. Practice sweeping over the known objects and get your ear tuned to what you hear.

Believe me, when you hit something nice your ear will remember the sound it made image
  • Options
    Very good idea, Thank you !!! My wife is gunna love me tomorrow when I start pulling the trash out of the can to bury it. I have some raw coins I can use as well.

Again Thank you,
  • Options
    NP image

When I first got my DFX I went out back and buried everything from a Lincoln cent on up to a Morgan. Clad, silver, copper, nickel you name it. Tossed in some nails and foil and I even took one of my wfe's gold chains (shhhh) and put it in a baggie and buried it.

Was a great way to learn and I got everything back!

someone else here once mentioned taping a couple coins to a large piace of cardboard, turning it coin-side down on the ground and using it to practice pinpointing with your detector to get a feel for that aspect as well.
  • Options
    Freak,

Just imagine what she would do if you asked to bury her ring? Tell her, "Honey, I need to see what kind of signal it's going to give me." My wife was kind enough to me to let me use her's for an air test--I didn't dare ask to bury it. I'm afraid if I did, I may have been buried next to the ring image

Good Luck with the trash and the jewelry also image
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Desert Rat beat me to the jewelry bit. image

Rat--Did she ever find out what you did? Have you even mentioned it?
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Desert Rat beat me to the jewelry bit. image

Rat--Did she ever find out what you did? Have you even mentioned it? >>

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! She might hear you!! image
  • Options
    Cool, thanks for the great tips. I do have a raw St. Gauden I can put into a bag to bury. There is no way my wife would loan me her ring even for a moment. She thinks I will hit hit the pawn shops and then off to EBay and start looking for my next coin. I'll keep you posted on my venture. BTW, how long did it take you to distinguish the different sounds ??? Is it something you pick up right away or does it take a while ?

Freak
  • Options
    you will pick up the "good" sounds fairly quickly. The human ear is easily tunable (unless you're tone deaf) with practice. Mainly though you will learn to recognize good solid signals as opposed to those that break-up or are slightly static filled. That is where headphones come in to play because you can better hear those faint signals that may otherwise blend in with the background noise. You want to listen for positive "repeatable" tones as well. When you pass the coil over an object and it retains the same solid tone on each pass as opposed to changing pitch or breaking up on different passes then you know you might have something nice
  • Options
    Beautiful, I have learned more in twenty minutes here than I have playing around with the detector since I bought it. I knew about reading tones but lacked how to read them. You da man !

Thanks,
    Freak (Tom)
  • Options
    Hey Tom, practicing on the gold is fine, but spend most of your time learning the sounds of copper cents, and sliver dimes, quarters, halfs...and then bury some nickels. When you get to where you can find nickels, you have yourself dialed in......They are by far the most difficult to find..But spend the majority of your time on the cents and dimes...that will be the majority of your targets for now....then as you get better, go back and research the areas you started in, you'll find the deeper coins you are missing now. (IF they are there, that is.) If you are finding the cents and dimes, you'll have no trouble finding the quarters and halfs....Good Luck!
  • Options
    millennium,

Thank you. Just got in and warming up the tector. I will throw some cents, nickles, and dimes out there in the yard and let you know. I will be listening for different tones at first. Then I will begin to bury them. I will keep you posted.

Tom
    p.s. why are the nickles the hardest ???
  • Options

<< <i>millennium,

Thank you. Just got in and warming up the tector. I will throw some cents, nickles, and dimes out there in the yard and let you know. I will be listening for different tones at first. Then I will begin to bury them. I will keep you posted.

Tom
    p.s. why are the nickles the hardest ??? >>

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong , but I assume it is because nickels sound off similar to poptops and pull tabs and can be difficult to identify from trash.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong , but I assume it is because nickels sound off similar to poptops and pull tabs and can be difficult to identify from trash. >>

Pretty much right on there....when you discriminate the pop tops and some foils, you will also cut out nickels....With the exception of the ones from 1942-1945...(30% silver)