Home U.S. Coin Forum

Some sad news.....

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some sad news...

The governor of the State of New York, George Pataki announced that there will be no WTC/9-11 museum at the site of the old World Trade Center to honor those who died on 9-11 in New York City.

The infighting became so heated between the families of the deceased WTC and the agency in charge of rebuilding the WTC site that they could not resolve the the building of a museum to honor those who died at WTC on 9-11.

I have been advised that the Firefighters 9-11 slabs as well as the other 9-11 exhibits will have to find a new home. Strangely enough, I have been told the Smithstonian have expressed an interest but cannot confirm if this is true. But then again, we coin collectors do not exactly have warm feelings for the Smithstonian to say the least!!!!!!!!!!

I welcome any suggestions.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Fools!image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear the news......image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Nocerino18Nocerino18 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    very sad indeed
    Coin Superstore's Ebay Auctions
    Personal Ebay Auctions
    My Website
    ---------------------------------------------
    ALWAYS LOOKING TO PURCHASE
    TOP 100 MORGANS / HOT 50
    TOP 50 PEACE VAMS
  • What Pataki said no to was the International Freedom Center which, in my understanding had liitle or no connection to 9/11. Most WTC surviving relatives were against this and fought it tooth and nail.

See -->> http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1246953.cms
    http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=8&aid=53875
    http://www.nysun.com/article/20756

I far as I've read, it in no way honor those who died there.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
  • image A shame..
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• I walk by there everyday the International Freedom Center was scrapped not the museum honoring the workers, firefighters and others who died that day.
    Plus the museum would have been across the street in an abandon pizza shop not on the grounds.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man: Isn't the museum you are speaking of..... a separate but for-profit museum?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The governor of the State of New York, George Pataki announced that there will be no WTC/9-11 museum at the site of the old World Trade Center to honor those who died on 9-11 in New York City."

We really need to be careful of loaded statements like that man, this can't be the whole story. What are the facts? NO one in America would ever deny a remembrance of those who lost their lives at the Towers site in NY on 9/11 weather it be a museum or whatever.

Those families whose loved ones were vaporized, where no remains can even be buried, where nothing material is left to say good by to, where people experienced horrible agonizing deaths, where no one thing from their entire life, trinkets, pictures, childrens drawings and art projects, wedding day photos is left at the site to remember them by, these people and their lost deserve a platinum tower that will stand forever at that site.

Tbig

• << <i>Man: Isn't the museum you are speaking of..... a separate but for-profit museum? >>

Yes, but that idea lasted about a day there has been 35 museum site changes annouced and that is not including the actual one for the victims, that one is separate.

My first serious coin book, the 53rd edition year 2000 red book, came from the Borders bookstore in the mall under the WTC. I still had an order waiting to be delivered from them on 9/11. They reopened several blocks away.

I want that place alive and opened for business.

I may be biased I'm an Engineering major.
  • Anything new?
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    The last version of the 'Freedom Tower' I saw seemed equally unfitting - the first several stories were essentially a bunker designed to thwart any roadside bombs, and the tallest point was nothing more than a thin sprire that served no other archetectual purpose than to allow the structure to reach its requiste 1,776 foot height. SO if there is not going to be any museum, at least there will be this cowardly blight forever inflicted on the Manhattan skyline to remind us all forever of that horrible day.

Wait a second, this is the coin forum...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file