Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

81 Topps Box Break

Well, I got a box of 1981 cello from BBCE a few weeks ago and had a okay experience. No problems with BBCE. They communicate well and ship quick. My issues were with the guys that worked the printing press in 81.

I wanted to get a box of wax to see if my luck would be any better.

In short, the wax sucked. I expected to see a large share of poorly centered cards, but I got a lot of wax stains, border chips, and an absolute ton of cards with severe tilts to them. I might send a few in because I have never seen a card come back with the OC,PD,MC, and ST qualifiers all of it.

I got some stars, but none that would be worth six bucks to grade. Really, this was just $80 bird cage lining.

That is one reason I stick with the relatively cheap unopened stuff. If I dropped 800 bones on a box of 77 and got cards like this, I would be upset.

Not that one box of cello vs. one box of wax is a scientific survey, but, if I get another box, it will be cello.

BTW, let me know if you need any commons from this set. I have a fair share. I have that #632 Bannister that someone was looking for.

Comments

• sorry to hear. early 80's topps cards are not exactly known for their printing quality. And 81 isnt a great year to buy..especially with no real marque rookie in that set. try mid 80's boxes....a lot cheaper and some good stars to be had.
  • I cracked my 82 box and it sucked too. Every card had 2 nitches on one side, look slike from a roller at the factory image. However I busted 3 racks from my 85 box and already have a 9 or possible even a 10 clemens, and a hair o/c by t/b mcgwire. Should I stop now?
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Friggin 2 nitches, I had same problem w/ some 1980 wax boxes I busted earlier this year.

That is some packing/wrapping related error I think.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    You want to see bad? I cracked a 1978 OPC wax box this month. Loaded with star cards (incl. 2 Murray Rookies!).

But ALL were 10/90% to 20/80% left to right qualifiers! I mean ALL!

At least you only paid 80 clams, I paid, what was it? Oh yeah, $285, I think?

I'll never do that again (yeah right!)

rbd

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I would have hated to see the look of horror on your face, when that kept happening pack after pack. Sorry to hear that one.

Stingray
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>I would have hated to see the look of horror on your face, when that kept happening pack after pack. Sorry to hear that one.

Stingray >>

Yeah, horror was right! I stopped after opening 16 packs, and decided to sell the rest on eBay! But I pulled the auctions, as I knew I would most likely be selling garbage, so I then "cracked the next 20 packs"!

And yes stingray, "the horror of it all" ! LOL!

rbd

edit: P.S. I was "Who was I kidding?" (i.e., "myself!"). I then imagined the dissapointment in those different buyers who would each "crack-a-pack" just to find one opc card with "wax stains", plus all 10 cards extremely off-centered. BUMMER!

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is one of the most honest things I have read on these forums. I congratulate you on your honesty for doing such a thing.

Stingray
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Yuck. My bit of misfortune wasn't too costly, busted a 1989 Fleer cello box. EVERY SINGLE CARD was between 20/80 and 10/90 l/r, with one miscut.

I should be getting my two wax boxes of 1985 Fleer from BBCE early next week. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25