Home Sports Talk
Options

BIG PAPI GAME TIE HOME RUN!

WOW MVP ??

Comments

• Options

The verdict will not be handed out until the end of this weekend. If my prediction comes true ARod will win it.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    well arod should get it bc papi is a DH. but i guess it is whoever wins. i think the sox got this game. crowd is into it. 4-4 manny on first no one out bottom of 8th. should be another classic yanks sox series! i will watch friday but not saturday or sunday!

1st and 3rd sox now no one out!
  • Options
    << If my prediction comes true ARod will win it. >>

If you make enough predictions, of course an occasional one will come true. After all, even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options

Did any of you see Vernon Wells great diving catch on Trot Nixon's drive to end the 8th inning? The Red Sox could not score a runner on 3rd base with 1 out.

I am lovin it. image
  • Options

Red Sox won.

Get ready for World War III
  • Options
    Yes - MVP!
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    Game tying HR, + Game winning RBI = MVP!!!!!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    How in the world could David Ortiz not be MVP? He is the best clutch hitter I have seen, maybe ever.

There is simply no contest between A-Rod's garbage time compiled stats, and Ortiz's game tying and winning clutch hits. None.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    If there were no other dominating hitter in the AL, then yes, ortiz should be the man.

But it's hard to argue against someone who puts up similar HR and RBI numbers, but is smoking him in both BA and OBP, AND is a gold glove fielder.

I just don't see how you take 2 similar hitters, and then throw out how much defense Arod brings to the game.

• Options

Wait until this weekend.
  • Options
    Ax, he simply is doing it in the clutch - plain and simple. The game tonight is a perfect example, the Sox lose this one, and it's a long uphill climb this weekend. He comes up not once, but twice, and delivers the game tying HR - then the game winning single. Without his hitting, I am pretty sure the Sox would not be where they are today. Take A-Rod away from the Yanks - I don't think things would be much different for them. That to me = MVP.

Besides, how many players have won the MVP award for their defense? Give A-Rod a Gold Glove - and a set of golf clubs. image
  • Options
    Well didn't Arod hit a home run last night that proved to be the difference?

No, I'm not saying to give Arod the MVP solely on his defense...but with Arod's BA and OBP being much higher than Ortiz, HR's being the same between them, and Ortiz with more RBi, (I think) you have to look what differentiates them.

It'll be a close race no doubt.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    MVP is the Most Valuable Player to the team.

Without A-Rod, the Yanks are fine. Without Papi, the Sox would be at least 10 games behind.

No contest.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Yes, A-Rod did hit a HR last night that was meaningful - and I am sure that was not the first time. But, 22 of Ortiz's 47 HR's have either given Boston the lead, or tied the game this season.

Eckersley is on NESN right now - and he has called Ortiz the best clutch hitter he has ever seen. Ever.

So, I am biased a bit - it will be close - but I can't see anyone else winning it but Big Papi.
  • Options
    You all know I despise the yankees, so this has nothing to do with yankee bias.

But I just don't see how you award the MVP to someone who only plays half the game.
  • Options

<< <i>You all know I despise the yankees, so this has nothing to do with yankee bias.

But I just don't see how you award the MVP to someone who only plays half the game. >>

Because the Sox wouldn't be where they are without that DH.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I hear both sides, but lean towards Axtell's comments. The guy plays the field too. And the Yanks without A-Rod? They would not be where they are. I would not argue, though, if Ortiz got it. He is an animal. Big time clutch - no better. Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>I hear both sides, but lean towards Axtell's comments. The guy plays the field too. And the Yanks without A-Rod? They would not be where they are. I would not argue, though, if Ortiz got it. He is an animal. Big time clutch - no better. Regards. >>

I have to agree with this as well...why does everyone presume the yankees would be in the same spot without Arod? Or that the Red Sox wouldn't be in the same spot without Ortiz?

• Options

ARod has at least saved 5 close games with his glove.
  • Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    Pitchers have won the MVP. Some of them only pitched every five days. I guess they should not have won because they were only on the field 1/5 of the time. Typical Yankee bias.
  • Options
    GRod also lost several games with his great glove.
  • Options

<< <i>Pitchers have won the MVP. Some of them only pitched every five days. I guess they should not have won because they were only on the field 1/5 of the time. Typical Yankee bias. >>

That's right, Clemens won it one year. Hell, and pitchers don't even bat in the AL!!

I like Peter Gammon's idea -- give Papi the MVP this year, and then get rid of the DH so it is not an issue anymore. The DH is killing pitchers in the AL worse than Colorado is killing pitchers in the NL.
  • Options
    I think that is good idea. However, fans would be forced to watch Mike Piazza still play in the field. Is that really worth it.
  • Options

jad22, I like your Avatar
  • Options
    Jad22 - who is the AL MVP in your opinion?

• Options
    It comes down to this weekend. Winner takes all.
  • Options
    Jad....So...do you mean it is between A-rod and Ortiz.?

• Options
    It is pretty awesome that it comes down to this weekend. Playoffs start three days early. Redsox, Yankees, Indians, Ortiz, AROD.
  • Options
    No, he means Spy vs. Spy. LOL
  • Options

• Options
    it doesn't get too much better than this!
  • Options
    Spammy-style TTT

• Options
    They said on Sportscenter that Papi has either tied or taken the lead in a game with 20 of his HRs.

To me, that's much more important than what Spammy "argued":

<< <i>ARod has at least saved 5 close games with his glove. >>

We all know that A-Rod does squat in clutch situations; he only pads his numbers in blowouts.
  • Options

In last's years ALDS series against Minnesota ARod had game winners and stole 3rd to lead to the winning run in game 4. Last year against Boston he drove in many runs in the first 3 games. The pitching let the team down in the last 4 games of the ALCS.
  • Options

<< <i>In last's years ALDS series against Minnesota ARod had game winners and stole 3rd to lead to the winning run in game 4. Last year against Boston he drove in many runs in the first 3 games. The pitching let the team down in the last 4 games of the ALCS. >>

For one, last year's stats don't mean squat in this year's MVP race.

Secondly, the pitching didn't let the team down in last years ALCS; the entire team CHOKED.

And finally:

• Options

Go Stros!!!!