Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Which years did the Laurel Wreath design appear on the various Napoleonic Franc Denominations?

I am 1907Quarter's son. A few months ago he posted a question about Francs. I was never a huge fan of International Coins but I want to start a new collection that is a little unique. Therefore I am thinking of making a Type Set of Napoleonic Francs. However, for my set I am thinking I will want the Laurel Wreath design and not the Napoleon Bare Head design. Therefore, do you know what years have the Laurel Wreath design? Also, what year(s) would be best if you are making a Type Set with the Laurel Wreath and what would their prices be ranging from VF+ to AU for the following denominations?:

Quarter Franc
Half (Demi) Franc
Franc
2 Franc
5 Franc
20 Franc
40 Franc
Frankly,
58Flyer

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to get something really interesting and historical, look for one of the Napoleonic 100 days 5fr from 1815...

As for your question, I am certain 1811-1813 have laurel wreath designs. I believe there are earlier dates but just don't remember which dates. The gold isn't all that tough. The 2 Franc coin can be tough.

The most common date for the 5fr is either 1811A or 1813A and in ef examples will probably fetch 80-100. the 2 fr coins are tougher and have lower mintages and the prices can vary 200-500 in ef. The 1fr is probably the most affordable and probably 40-60.

edited to add: These have done well lately so perhaps what I suggested might be optimistic

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

You come with a fine pedigree. image

Interesting idea. I wish I could give you specific advice but am without my Krause at the moment.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    oops forgot to say welcome...

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Here's the site of our resident Napoleon expert (elverno, who may have gone yeti?), sure to lure you further into all things of the era: www.napoleonicmedals.org image
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    image This is a very interesting collecting area. I have several coins and medals from this era also. Good Luck. image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    The example on the sig line looks great. I would grade the obverse an AU without reservation. Great looking coin... it wasn't there earlier was it? I doubt I would have missed it without an editorial comment.

• Options
    just wanted to post a bigger pic of Morey's Demi franc. xf? au?

the quarter franc and 2 franc do go for big money it seems
    realised prices
    are these prices a tad expensive?
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    I would like to see the reverse for offering a final grade on the entire coin. The obverse is very nice and worthy of an AU50 grade, perhaps even higher. I like the look of that one and they are tough in that grade... seriously, they are.

• Options
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Excellent coin! image
    I'd agree with coinkat about grade.

<< <i>the quarter franc and 2 franc do go for big money it seems
    realised prices
    are these prices a tad expensive? >>

On this, I can't speak to the specific coins, but CGB is definitely not a place for bargains. Of course, that shouldn't be considered a slam against them because it is a place to find good, quality French coins!
  • Options
    Nice coin and this is a great illustration of the issues associated with French coinage from this time period. The obverse strike is excellent and the obverse usually carries the grade. In this instance, the reverse has wear and is weaker than the obverse. I think AU 50 is appropriate.

The real selling point of this coin is its originality and for those who have wandered onto the US FORUM AND READ MY COMMENTS on the need for an original surfaces designation... well, this coin gets the Coinkat's original surfaces designation. It won't get you a cold beer today, but the day will come when this coin will be even more desirable because of it original condition. It is truly a nice coin.

• Options
    thanks CK! (from Morey and myself) Now how the heck are we going to find some in-hand companion pieces. This is not going to be easy. The Bay does not exactly have eye-appealing original LOOKING coins let alone original....some fingers in the right direction would be most grateful!image
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    I don't think I can help much here... but I will offer you the same advise I offer any collector... ATTEND coin shows and look at what is available because it will help set expectations that are reasonable as well as help find coins that you seek. There are the international shows in NYC in January and there is one in Chicago. Auctions are an avenue worth exploring, but this area of French coinage is highly sought after and the competition is tough... that is the readers' digest condensed version. Best of luck and post a picture or two as time permits....