Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Holy Grail..At least til my next Holy Grail

I finally aquired this card. The auction just ended, but I couldn't wait to post the scan. The price was a little more than I wanted to spend but I sniped high and so did someone else. Regardless, this is from 1907 featuring Ty Cobb. Not sure if it's his first card, but it is one of his earliest. Maybe someone can tell me if there are earlier cards of Cobb. Thanks and enjoy.

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    Damn thats nice. I gotta go back to going through all the catagories to find stuff like that. Great job
  • Options
    Nice Cobb.

His earliest stuff is from 1907 - I believe he has at least a few postcards, including a Dietsche. His earliest cards are the E90-1 and the T206 Green portrait
  • Options
    He also has an E95 card from 1909 - in my opinion, his coolest looking card.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throwdown, Nice caramel Cobb! Yes I have a Cobb Red Port, which is later than the green. I knew the green was from 1909. I was aware of his Dietsche postcard from 1907, but I don't know of any earlier. I also picked up a really cool 1910 postcard that I have no idea what the letters stand for. The cool thing about this is that is has a black athlete pictured on it. Anyone has any idea what the letters stand for help me out. The postmark is Erie, PA. Thanks and enjoy this one, it is really neat. joe

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Me thinks most vintage collectors are leaning towards the green port being his rookie CARD. As the postcards are not considered cards per say.
    Scott

T206's are always being bought.

aloof1003@comcast.net
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    That Detroit card w/ Cobb is absolutely gorgeous. I just checked out the auction and I think you stole it actually. If the seller had put Cobb in the auction title, the price would have skyrocketed. Having the postmark on the back is a huge plus. Nice find!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice "team Cobb" 2d - what is that from?

And Td - the E95 Cobb has great color and presence!

thanx for showing them
    I don't have a "holy grail"
    must be something wrong with me?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    A761506, I agree 100% that if Cobb would have been in the title the bidding would have been stiffer. The seller didnt even know Cobb was in it till someone e-mailed him and told him. I almost missed it also but got lucky and stumbled on it. It wasnt showing up on my usual searches.

Scott, I agree that the Green is considered his rookie, but I was just wondering if there were any earlier images (b4 07) with Cobb pictured in a Tiger uniform? If this was considered his rookie theres no way I could have won this auction. I would not have been able to afford it. Now that I own it I will lobby to make it his rookie card. LOL

Stone, Not sure what you mean? Its a postcard of the 1907 Tigers. I dont know the printer but I will updated it when it arrives.
    W.C.Fields
  • Options

Cobb looks like he is wearing lipstick. LOL
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its a postcard of the 1907 Tigers >>

Thanx 2D - that's what I meant - I didn't know what the pic was...

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    here's the Dietsche postcard up on ebay...

cobb postcard rookie
  • Options
    Haven't seen that Cobb. I was referring to this one:

• Options
    Wow, I see what the Dietsche postcard of Cobb is bringing. I guess the single Cobb brings more of a premium than the team. But the team features 3 Hofer's, Cobb, Jennings and Sam Crawford. Now on to my next Holy Grail. Don't know what it is yet, but i'm sure there will something on top of my want list soon.

Throwdown, Nice Cobby. Can I ask you what you paid for it and what I can expect to pay if another comes up in that condition. I'd be very happy to have on like it. Thanks, Joe

Edited to add...That Cobb postcard is up to $3660 with 1 day left..All I can say is wow!!!
    W.C.Fields
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    i always thought that the "fielding" pose was much rarer than the batting?
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i>
    Throwdown, Nice Cobby. Can I ask you what you paid for it and what I can expect to pay if another comes up in that condition. I'd be very happy to have on like it. Thanks, Joe
    >>

Ain't mine. I stole the scans off Hal Lewis' site. He owns the postcard and the E95.
  • Options
    2Dueces the letters on your postcard may stand for the JRS of the Penn. Tecnical School.
  • Options
    Thanks Ambro, It is from Pa, I always try to put a description with all the postcards in my collection for reference when I am long gone. Some of these PPC's we will never know who they were. Just frozen images in history.
    W.C.Fields
  • Options
    I finally aquired this card. The auction just ended, but I couldn't wait to post the scan. The price was a little more than I wanted to spend but I sniped high and so did someone else. Regardless, this is from 1907 featuring Ty Cobb. Not sure if it's his first card, but it is one of his earliest. Maybe someone can tell me if there are earlier cards of Cobb. Thanks and enjoy.

cobb.jpg (17 KB)

Can someone please provide a link to this auction. I wanted to take a look at it but cant find it to save the world!
  • Options
    W.C.Fields
  • Options

<< <i>I finally aquired this card. The auction just ended, but I couldn't wait to post the scan. The price was a little more than I wanted to spend but I sniped high and so did someone else. Regardless, this is from 1907 featuring Ty Cobb. Not sure if it's his first card, but it is one of his earliest. Maybe someone can tell me if there are earlier cards of Cobb. Thanks and enjoy. >>

You won the Dietsche PC that just ended on ebay? I seriously doubt that, considering who the winning bidder is
  • Options
    Throwdown, No where did I post that I won that auction. My winning auction was for the 1907 Detroit Tigers postcard, that is pictured right under my original post and linked right above your last post.

I think you are confusing the 2 auctions.
    W.C.Fields
  • Options
    Oh i was talking to SeaBass. I thought he'd won the Dietsche PSA 6 on ebay. To the best of my knowledge, Don Louchios (idontbelievewhatijustsaw) doesn't post here.