Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1796 quarters, 1901-S quarters, 1794 dollars and halves- do these dates in medium to high grades sel

I also believe in coin cycles, and while the present state of the market still appears solid, there will be times that coin sales and prices will be static, and decrease for many series.

But are there rarities that will overcome the down cycles and remain in demand, at current or higher prices during all market conditions?

Give us your opinions as to the dates and grades of coins you believe are always in demand. I assume the coins named will be average or above for the specified grade or grade range.
TahoeDale

Comments

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    small head 1795 flowing hair half dollars strong vg and above with full rims

true slider au-58 1955 DDO lincoln cents

1834 gem proof red brown cameo classic head half cents

1795 lettered edge large cents s-76a average planchet fine and above

gem unc. 1878-cc seated quarters with the cancelled die obverse

1861 choice proof strong cameo seated dollar

• Options
    All of these coins are up sharply in the last several years. There is always demand for them, but it would be foolish to assume that there could never be a market correction after such rapid increases. I also happen to believe that the 1901-S quarter is very overvalued in lower grades. There are always quite a few around in grades of AG, G, VG. I wouldn't touch it less than XF.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Sunnywood,

I agree, as usual, with your take on the low grade 1901-S quarters. But there are a lot of barber enthusiasts for the quarters and halves, in mid-circ grades, that will keep the 01-S and 04-S(half) in strong demand.

Every type collector needs a 1796 quarter, and with many trying to complete the early dollar and half series, the 1794 date will stay in demand. No matter what, IMO.

Just 3 years ago, I bought a PCGS MS 64 1901-S quarter for 24,000. Today, an AU 50 will probably run that much or more.

4 years ago, an XF 45 1797 half sold at Atlanta ANA for 43,000. Today, that coin will bring 90,000 plus.

TDN sold an 1884 Trade dollar in Pr 63 in 2002, and while the coin did not have much increase in 1 to 2 years, today it has doubled from the 02 value.

Will all high end rarities continue to increase every year? No. But over a less than 5 year period, it's a pretty good bet.

And I'm sure the quality Morgans you are assembling, can only go up from here. I guess you might say I am optimistic about the quality coins that are out there.

TahoeDale
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But are there rarities that will overcome the down cycles and remain in demand, at current or higher prices during all market conditions? >>

These will never go down in value:

They will always continue to go up regardless of what is inside the holder.
    The PCGS "doily" insert holders are closing in on this status as well.

imageimage
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Oreville,

I totally agree, and would really like to have a slab like that, perhaps with a 1797 half in it.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    I agree with the cycles idea-- the 1796 and especially 1901-S seem very overvalued now given their actual populations in lower grades. The one exception would be the 1794 $1 as there are very few around in any grade that are nice and unmessed with--a nice honest one even in G will always sell quickly especially at a lower price point and grade.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1901-s Barber quarters are not around in Fine-AU. I would expect a Fine or VF to be a prize and always saleable near it's top pricing.
    The date is relatively common in BU per se and in the past has collapsed in price when the market weakened.

All 4 of these coins are still extremely popular and do sell readily unless slapped with an unrealistic reserve price.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sold off a lot of my holdings(all key-dates) and only have a few left. The ones I chose to keep are the coins I felt have the best long term potential. I know that even in an eventual market downturn, they most likely will still be affected, but IMO will never bottom to levels that they were purchased at. Additionally, some are never available such as the 01-s quarter in Fine you mentioned. I was fortunate enough to have located a choice fine few years ago, and only after several years of owning, I know how special a coin it is. I have a few other key-dates that I chose to keep as well that are regularly available as a date, but most often seen and available are usually dipped/marginal quality, unoriginal, etc. Also, these particular coins maintain strong constant demand from collectors even during slower markets based on past history, not to mention they are in the most sought after grade range for thier respective date.

There are a few key-date coins that were thought to be truly scarce intially, but after continued strong aggressive price increases over several years, more and more of them are turning up. They apparently were always around in hiding, but not known until the priced rose high enough to get them to the TPG's where they are now accounted for in populations. One example comes to mind is the 04-s barber half. A few years back, I had searched far and wide for a Choice Xf or AU coin. I had infact located one several years ago which become the first Xf graded at PCGS with only 1-2 in AU. Todays population show 5 in 45, 16 in Au grades at PCGS alone, not to mention the NGC specimens. Currently today as I type this, thier are 5 PCGS AU 1904-s Barber halfs currently for sale in dealers inventories, and some have been their for a while?