Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1969 & 1970 Topps Basketball Tall Boy thread exist, if not, let's get one started

2»

Comments

• aro13 ('69) and dboneesq ('70): I have PM'd you both and think I have some of what you are looking for. Maybe we can work something out.

Please PM me or email to rhumphrey3@charter.net
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    If anyone needs some 9's, i have 3 on the bay ending this sunday 3/29/09 and a 6.5 alcindor rookie as well.. all under jivan13 as seller
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I think I have some 1970 in ExMT if you still need them for your set. Email me at gregmo32@aol.com or PM me...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

• << <i>Any opinions on the 69/70 set auctioned by Mastro a few years ago (might have been dec 2007). The whole set was 8's and 9's...including 9 Jabbar, Chamberlain, and most of the big rookies and stars (think the checklist too). Like 80 PSA 9's and 19 8's, something like that.

Sold for $45k or so (don't remember). But I think it was the highest grade set I've seen sold. Did anyone get any cards from that set? It was cool pullout in the catalog, you could see most of them. >>

I didn't see it.
    Currently in ebay a complete set of PSA 8, with the checklist PSA 7
    1969 Topps Basketball complete set 98 PSA 8, 1 PSA 7 $7695
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be wrong, but that seems like a pretty decent price for that set??
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com

• << <i>

<< <i>Any opinions on the 69/70 set auctioned by Mastro a few years ago (might have been dec 2007). The whole set was 8's and 9's...including 9 Jabbar, Chamberlain, and most of the big rookies and stars (think the checklist too). Like 80 PSA 9's and 19 8's, something like that.

Sold for $45k or so (don't remember). But I think it was the highest grade set I've seen sold. Did anyone get any cards from that set? It was cool pullout in the catalog, you could see most of them. >>

I didn't see it.
    1969 Topps Basketball complete set 98 PSA 8, 1 PSA 7 $7695 >>

The Mastro lot was 1399, in the dec 7th auction, 2006. The #3 set on the registry.

83!! PSA 9's.

16 8's.

All the big stars PSA 9. Maybe someone can find it on the mastro archives, for pictures. My scanner doesnt do catalog pictures very well. It blew my mind when I saw it, because it was a once in 5 year or once in 10 year collection.

Price realized, $40,388. Is that good, or bad, I dont follow the set.

Also, in the same auction, on the next page was a 70/71 set, #2 on the registry with a PSA 10 Alcindor.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Any opinions on the 69/70 set auctioned by Mastro a few years ago (might have been dec 2007). The whole set was 8's and 9's...including 9 Jabbar, Chamberlain, and most of the big rookies and stars (think the checklist too). Like 80 PSA 9's and 19 8's, something like that.

I didn't see it.
    1969 Topps Basketball complete set 98 PSA 8, 1 PSA 7 $7695 >>

The Mastro lot was 1399, in the dec 7th auction, 2006. The #3 set on the registry.

83!! PSA 9's.

16 8's.

All the big stars PSA 9. Maybe someone can find it on the mastro archives, for pictures. My scanner doesnt do catalog pictures very well. It blew my mind when I saw it, because it was a once in 5 year or once in 10 year collection.

Also, in the same auction, on the next page was a 70/71 set, #2 on the registry with a PSA 10 Alcindor. >>

Few years ago I saw a PSA 9 Havlicek go for 10k in ebay.
    Just check the registry that was a MOSH set, I just remember most of his Top Basketball sets being sold, he was very aggressive when putting these sets together, example 1970 PSA 9 common players would go for 1K if another top bidder also needed the card.
    MOSH sets

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    Press Pass Legends
    Just got the last card to finish my 70-71 Topps basketball set in 8 or better NQ! Going to move on to 55 Topps baseball, but tempted to work on the 69 Basketball set at the same time. Someone talk me out of it.... please!!!!
  • yieldhogyieldhog Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Markmac:

I have each of these in my duplicate set.

#31 Lucius Allen (PSA 7)
    #35 Leroy Ellis (PSA 8)
    #49 Dick Cunningham (PSA 8)
    #87 Neal Walk (PSA 7)

Only interested in trading for PSA 9s however (both 69 and 70 set).
    Incidentally the Mastro set is being sold again on ebay (#3 in registry attributed to Museum of Sports History) for $90,000.
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    Yieldhog, turn your pm on.. might be able to help oin some 69 basketball for you.. ivan
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball

• << <i>Incidentally the Mastro set is being sold again on ebay (#3 in registry attributed to Museum of Sports History) for $90,000. >>

So it never sold?
    "The Mastro lot was 1399, in the dec 7th auction, 2006. The #3 set on the registry.

83!! PSA 9's.

16 8's.

"

If that is the case, did they win their own set at Mastro?

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Press Pass Legends
    Mexisar -

I have some of the UD 1999 Epic Signatures that I am looking to sell. Let me know if you are interested.

Bob Pettit (PSA 8)

Earl Monroe (NR)
    John Havlicek (NR)
    Walt Frazier (NR)
    Willis Reed (NR)
    Should be able to reach me now.

Yieldhog (Michael)
  • I have for sale on the BST topic:

EDIT: sold cards noted

I think this is a chance for some to fill out their PSA graded set with some stars, semi stars, and commons

I set prices generally at 75% of avg. of SMR and Beckett. For half points, I went 1/3 of the way up toward the higher grade's price.

PayPal preferred. Shipping and Insurance included if total is $250 or more. Please PM if interested.

Card # Player PSA Grade Price
    20 Havlicek 8 290
    26 Jack Marin 7 13.5
    35 Elgin Baylor 5 13
    43 Bill Bradley 8 (OC) 60 (priced as a PSA 7)
    43 Bill Bradley 6 40
    55 Dave Bing 6 35
    85 DeBusschere 7 35

Think I'm going to get rid of my 70-71 Topps basketball set. All cards are graded 8 or better without qualifiers. It also includes both variations of the #101 checklist. I'm not going to break it... want to sell it as a set. Was going to possibly list on Ebay first but have also had conversations with Memory Lane about consigning it. Any opinions and what you might think it would bring?

Thanks!

Tim
  • The challenge that I see with the 70-71 set is that it has undergone significant devaluation in the past year. The number of PSA 9s (and 10s) that have been handed out is staggering. I have reduced my offers as a result. You probably are wise to sell now before more of the same occurs. Having said that, and I am admittedly biased being a net buyer, but I would think that unless you have the key cards in 9s, you would be better served to sell them and/or trade them for PSA 8s plus cash.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    If you count the 9's ansd 10's from just 4 sharp corners....yo would be amazed at how just them can devalue cards in a set.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I am putting together a RAW set and need the following cards.

Looking for the following RAW cards that would grade ~PSA 6:

1970-1971 Basketball
    2-West/Alcindor/Hayes
    4 - Rob/Walker/Mull
    32- Kimball
    75 - Alcindor
    78 - Stallworth
    95 - Russell
    97-VanLier
    104 - Hosket
    123 - Maravich
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

• << <i>If you count the 9's ansd 10's from just 4 sharp corners....yo would be amazed at how just them can devalue cards in a set. >>

For the Basketball sets from 1973 to 1981 yup. I don't think they have graded much 1969 & 1970

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Press Pass Legends
  • I have bought a lot of 70 from 4sc, good for me as I'm trying to get the set but the prices are lower.
    Most cards have gotten cheaper, but just try to find some of the sps. I haven't seen a Cazzie Russell in forever. The #4 FT Leaders is about impossible as well. I had a chance to buy another, but didn't pull the trigger. I know that Mint State has one but wants $799 for it. It's easy to put about 95% of the set together in 8, but that other 5% can be a bear. It's been a while since I've seen a Hondo up until this last week and didn't see what it went for... I'll have to check it out.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    $15 delivered

image[/URL]
  • Nice. I like the '69 set except for the fact that PSA uses about 8 times the plastic needed to encapsulate. Kills me on space.

I know it's a bad topic round these parts but any thoughts on short prints in this set?

Did anyone actually collect these way back when? First basketball cards I saw were 1980.
  • BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Would love to start this set anybody have extras or willing to sell or trade please PM me
    1964 Topps Football
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Why would SP's be a bad topic? I don't think there are any cards are that truly SP's in the 1969 set.
    The 1970 set does contain SP's however.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Greg - I got some flak for suggesting SPs in other sets a while back. There are some who feel that a 132-card set is evenly printed and distributed but I do not agree. I was just saying that I'm not looking to start an argument over it but it's a subject that does interest me. the 99-card 1969 set fits evenly on one standard sheet, I believe. However, the idea that Topps would distribute them equally doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd complete that set pretty quickly. - Kevin
  • Below are some links - the PSA article claims 10 cards per pack for '69 basketball. Could you get doubles in the same pack? If not, it just couldn't take that long to knock out a set if cards were evenly printed. I just don't buy the equal printing argument. Doubles in the same pack were always a killer -- ticked off kids (and even parents a bit).

Also linked is a current eBay auction for a '76 Topps 132-card football sheet. This is the same size as a 99-card basketball sheet. The PSA article says the '69 checklist is tough because it's on the bottom right of the sheet and this was always mis-cut. On the football sheet, the bottom right Morral card is not a tough card. However, the top left Anderson card is notoriously bad. Perhaps one sheet was print upside down which would explain things but I'm not sure why they would print upside down.

The top three and bottom three rows of the football sheet contain some pretty tough cards. There is just no way that these were printed in equal quantities as the middle six rows. I think this is just one sheet with a number of other sheet variations out there. I saw a 66-card sheet a while back. (Didn't know how to copy the picture.)

Anyway, an interesting topic to some. Boring to others, I know....

PSA Article - '69 Topps Basketball

eBay - 1976 Topps Football Sheet
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    The 1969 bball set has no SP's and wax packs had 10 cards with no dupes as Topps sequenced the packing of the 10 cards in a specific order to eliminate possible dupes in one pack. A little research would show a board member video taped himself opening a 69 pack a few years ago.

1970 bball had 22 SP's for series 1, none in the 2nd series. 1st series Wax packs had 10 cards, 5 came in sequence from one half (55 unique cards) of the 198 card full sheet and then the other 5 cards came in sequence from the other half. Series 2 packs followed the same packaging but each half sheet only had 33 unique cards.

Was this system 100% fool proof related to dupe cards in 1 pack, absolutely not but it was close. That is why when you open multiple packs you start getting the same group of cards.

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

<< <i>The top three and bottom three rows of the football sheet contain some pretty tough cards. There is just no way that these were printed in equal quantities as the middle six rows. I think this is just one sheet with a number of other sheet variations out there. I saw a 66-card sheet a while back. (Didn't know how to copy the picture.)

Anyway, an interesting topic to some. Boring to others, I know....

PSA Article - '69 Topps Basketball

eBay - 1976 Topps Football Sheet >>

Absolutely not true, I Know the sequence for 1976 FB. Hell I even have a cello with Bradshaw on top and I guarantee I could find a cello pack to open that would produce a card from the top 3 rows in the top few cards.

• As I stated in my initial post -- "I know it's a bad topic round these parts"

<< <i>As I stated in my initial post -- "I know it's a bad topic round these parts" >>

It's not a bad topic, you just refuse to ignore the facts about The printing process and sequencing.

• John - Your response began 'Absolutely not true'. Unless you were the guy running the presses back in Duryea, this is really not the way to discuss the issue. It's a topic that generates a lot of controversy with most people firm in their positions. Probably doesn't make sense to re-hash everything. It's Sunday afternoon so I'm just going to get back to my collecting pursuits. I did not intend my initial post to start an argument as I noted earlier. - Kevin M.

<< <i>John - Your response began 'Absolutely not true'. Unless you were the guy running the presses back in Duryea, this is really not the way to discuss the issue. It's a topic that generates a lot of controversy with most people firm in their positions. Probably doesn't make sense to re-hash everything. It's Sunday afternoon so I'm just going to get back to my collecting pursuits. I did not intend my initial post to start an argument as I noted earlier. - Kevin M. >>

What I would like you to do is provide evidence of SP's that contradicts the recorded sequence i have of 100's of vintage packs being opened from 1957 thru 1979 as well as the library of uncut sheets I have. A 66 card proof sheet that matches half a 132 card half sheet isn't enough.

A quick check on 4 cards in the same column on that 1976 FB sheet shows Supposedly SP Jim Marshall having 52 cards graded and P Twomey having 28 cards graded. Supposedly non SP's Larry Stallings and John Hadl have 37 and 33 graded examples.

• cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    1970-71 series 2 sheet with 3 different rows of 11 cards x 3. So there's 33 different
    cards here times three, for 99 cards in all.

Maravich RC sheet!

Here was the layout of the Left side of The 198 card series one sheet, cards in row 9 are SP's. 2 different pics spliced together.

Right half layout, again cards in row 9 are SP's

LOT OF 12 CARDS, 1969 TOPPS, ALL PSA 7
    Avg. VCP of the lot $177.62
    You get the following cards for $150 shipped: SOLD

#6 Lucius Allen
    #28 Connie Dierking
    #29 Keith Erickson
    #41 Joe Caldwell
    #45 Jerry Lucas
    #49 Mel Counts
    #65 Lou Hudson
    #87 Herm Gilliam
    #89 Bob Boozer
    #93 Clyde Lee
    #94 Kevin Loughery
    #97 Adrian Smith
    My 1969 and 1970 Topps sets are up for auction at Huggins and Scott, (ends 08/06):

'69 set

'70 set
  • Sportscards1086Sportscards1086 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2018 8:04PM

Didn't want to start a new thread so I found this one.

Anyone else going for these?

Anyone have doubles for trade or sale?

Curious to know the pop reports on the Beckett site. I might have to sign up as I'm going for the Hofers in it and possibly all 99 of them.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sportscards1086 said:
    Curious to know the poo reports

Ewww

Pretty sure I have a few raw somewhere around here. You're welcome to them whenever I run across them, but it's doubtful I have any of the HOFers.

• @LarkinCollector said:

@Sportscards1086 said:
    Curious to know the poo reports

Ewww

Pretty sure I have a few raw somewhere around here. You're welcome to them whenever I run across them, but it's doubtful I have any of the HOFers.

Lol

Plz lmk. Thanks!!

• Found this post and this Youtube video is related to 69 Topps BBK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap-3QlOVzBg

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am working on the 1970 set! Goal is to get all in PSA 8 or better!
    Here’s some pics:

Ouch... this really hurts going back and reading thru this thread. Probably my biggest regret of any card/cars I've ever sold was getting rid of my 70 Topps set.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this 69 Oscar Robertson PSA 8 up for auction right now if anyone is looking for one.

https://goldin.co/item/1969-70-topps-50-oscar-robertson-psa-nm-mt-8df61o

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)