Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Those of you from the UK!!

Anyone from the Birmingham area?? Might (maybe, if the wife will let me) be there next year...
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• I just won a Birmingham half penny does that count?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone from the Birmingham area?? Might (maybe, if the wife will let me) be there next year... >>

I used to live near Birmingham..oh wait image that was in Alabama. There's one in the UK too? image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • The Isle of Man is an hour flight away, you are always welcome.
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org

• << <i>Anyone from the Birmingham area?? >>

Uh Oh ... on the prowl for Black Betty eh?

1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Just one question, have you ever been to Birmingham before? image
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea to give them fair warning Marty. They'll now have time to make their holiday plans. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • I was just thinking if he's never been there and he's expecting the traditional English accent (i.e Londoner or Queen's English) well Birmingham is gonna be an eye opener to say the least... image

It's unmistakable, and makes alot of non-BuhrmiiinG'us shuddor. image
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just one question, have you ever been to Birmingham before? image >>

We were there in 2002. Flew into Birmingham and stayed in Hinkley. I'm hoping to talk the boss into going again next summer.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Not my favourite city it has to be said.

If you get chance to go visiting places whilst you're in the UK i heartily recommend, York (which is do-able in a day), and whilst i think on Chester perhaps... or Nottingham (not the nicest of cities) but it does have a medieval pub dating back to 1180 or 1190 something.

• << <i>Anyone from the Birmingham area?? Might (maybe, if the wife will let me) be there next year... >>

My parents are still there, drop by for a cuppa

Dr J
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you get chance to go visiting places whilst you're in the UK i heartily recommend, York (which is do-able in a day), >>

Presenting, the York Minster!! "Ave a cream tea, tew!"

Some of the stained glass from inside the Minster....."Hey, stop that man!! He's taking illegal pictures!! image

• Ah i know that building well. I go to York every Christmas for shopping purposes.

Did you climb up the tower? (did you regret it half way up?) image

Although walking back down is fun, a tight squeeze though.

York minster was the place where Edward III married Phillipa of Hainault in 1328, Cardinal Wolsey was Archbishop there during Henry VIII's reign and there was a huge fire there in 1984 which caused alot of damage, thought to have been caused by the tower being struck by lightening. It took nearly 20 years to restore and repair the damage.

Hey Mac if you drop by the UK again i heartily recommend Lincoln. Lincoln Minster is a beautiful building with some beautiful stained glass windows located in a quadrant type court. St Hugh was buried there in 1200 and one of the pall bearers was none other than King John himself. It has also recently been used to film the new film adaptation of the Da Vinci code.

Just across is the Castle, which still has a full unbroken curtain wall, most of which you can walk around (kinda like the one that goes around York city centre).

Talking of York did you visit the Jorvik Viking Centre?

• Here's some photos i took in Lincoln back in 2001, you'll have to forgive the black and whiteness as i was doing an archaeology project on the castle at the time so i needed the contrast more than the colour. I was on a tight schedual that day so i didn't get over to the minster...

Lincoln Minster from the Castle walls

and the Castle's Tower

I had tons of much better pictures but they got handed in with my project so i don't have them anymore, all that's left are the dregs.

• i found it to be quite a sloooooooowwwwwwwww kinda place. Go to Newcastle and drink great big giant bottles of Brown Ale, 2 for 1 just about every day.image
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.