Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dix Noonan Winnings ( Post what you won )

I really wanted lot 1746 and bid £330 on it but it went for £500image

But I did ask to have another lot bid on if I did not win it. So I did win lot 1757image

<<Description: Birmingham, Charles Pye, Halfpenny, 1797, cp cypher, rev. Moneta seated right holding cornucopia of coins, bee-hive and bees at right, edge plain, 17.38g/12h (DH 223). Extremely fine with original colour, extremely rare (£250-300)

Footnote: Provenance: Fawcett/Litman Collection. 36 struck. Charles Pye, engraver, directory publisher and token collector, author of Provincial Copper Coins or Tokens issued between the Years 1787 and 1796, later expanded into a second edition published in 1801. Outside the field of numismatics he is best known for his Dictionary of Ancient Geography, 1805, his Description of Modern Birmingham, 1819, and for The Stranger’s Guide to Modern Birmingham, with an account of its Public Buildings and Institutions, its Show Rooms and Manufactories, 1825. For his directories, the first of which appeared in 1787, Pye personally canvassed the area and included people free of charge; his 1797 edition had 81 pages. In 1800 he asked people to send in their names plus sixpence to be included in the directory, which was a disaster; that year’s directory contained only 12 pages of names (Longman, pp.72-3, and DNB)>>

imageimage
Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice second choice! Are those bees I see swarming around the hive?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Yep Bees they is.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Very nice. The first word that came to my mind was "elegant".
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice. The first word that came to my mind was "elegant". >>

That's a perfect word for it. I can not wait to see it in hand.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Yes, a nice combination of elegance and heft, like the Cartwheel pennies. What a cool token. I really love all those tokens and coins with that design of the raised border/rim and incuse writing.

I know these aren't exactly Conders, but they are no doubt close cousins, the first having the same Boulton design as many Conders:

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Those are very cool Jamacan tokens. I did not know they had any cartwheeled ones produced for there.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I didn't know that either, but I bought it immediately when I saw it. The second one appears to be older, based on the style.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one, Cosmic- it has a coinucopia! image

Jester- I love that first Jamaican token!

The other one is even more interesting, design-wise. I would love to see one of those in the same condition as Cosmic's Conder, wouldn't you?

I'll bet those are rare (the Jamaican pieces, that is).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.