Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

3 Jeff Registry upgrades this year (and it'll never happen again)

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
All I can say is, "how did that happen?"

Just when I thought I'd maxed out my Jefferson Registry Set (1938-64 non-FS) and would never be able to upgrade another coin, I've done three not just this year, but in little more than a month! Frankly, I doubt I'll upgrade three more coins in as long I own the set from here on out.

First came the POS 1939-S R38 MS67 that I posted about in August.

Then a week ago, after three years of trying to buy a 1940-D MS67 in non-FS (pop 5/0), I gave in and bought a 67FS (pop 75/0) -- paying the same price that I bid and lost with on an MS67 non-FS a few days earlier. (Someone explain to me how that makes any sense!)

But the coin I'm most excited about is a 1945-P MS67 (pop 15/0) I won on eBay this week. If we each have a Don Quixote quest coin, that one was mine. It was the only War nickel I didn't have in MS67. There's a dealer out there who has something like eight of the 15 examples, with asking prices that aren't just to the moon, they're to Pluto. So I made a vow to myself that I'd darn sure get one anywhere else but from him.

Sorry for gushing, but this one feels really good . image
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    congrats on the finds!
    Mark
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    What do you think about this 1948-D?

1948-D PCGS MS-67
    Mark
  • Options
    I think the coin looks superb! image

But one of my big reasons for originally starting a Jeff set was so I wouldn't have to spend big bucks on any one coin other than the major varieties (hence the non-FS obsession). In fact, I sold my MS67 1946-D about six months ago when it was still a pop 1/0 coin and the value was way up there.

I should probably edit my original post to say something along the lines of, "OK, so big-buck, low-pop coins may come around every now and then, but I'll most likely pass because I'm value conscious about collecting."

Probably the only two coins I have a realistic chance of upgrading are my 1952-P and 1955-P (currently 65s). Everying else that I don't have only exists in very tiny numbers.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Very nice set and very nice additions of course. I'm not so interested in ms67's, but I want an all ms66 and better set. It looks like I'm going to have to find an ms66 58-p and 62-d myself.
  • Options
    LincolnsRule:

An all-MS66 or better set is my goal, too. But PCGS hasn't graded a 1958-P or 1962-D in MS66 yet, and they've only graded one 1961-D and one 1963-D. Those four, plus the '52-P and '55-P, are the only ones I don't have in at least MS66. D-mints from the 1960s are tough.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis
    You collect like I do! With contempt! lol My biggest coin is my 43/2-P for $1100 followed by the 1939 rev 0f 1940 proof for $900 and the 50-D 6 stepper for $800! But I don't know if you're particular about the strike of the Jeffs but the 1939 is a tough one! When I bought GQ's 2004 nonFs collection, most of the coins were based on eye appeal only and not on the strike and condition of the coin! The odds that that 1948-D actually grades MS67 is very high from most of the 67's that I have seen!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Leo:

Hello collecting brother!

I don't want to start a flame war so let's just say that strike isn't one of my priorities.

I had to dig deep for my 1939 DDR MS66 (ouch!), 1945 DDR MS66 (ouch) 1946-D/D MS64 (ouch!!), and 1949-D/S MS66 (ouch!). I was in the right place at the way right time to pick up a 1943/2 MS66 and it still makes me do this: image

My 1942-D/D is only an AU58, but every time I see what a Mint State one goes for I remember that mine's already paid for. It always seems to make the sting go away pretty quickly.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you plan on adding another few more years to your collection, fully struck and EDS examples are the only way to go as you upgrade!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Leo:

No FS coins for me! I'm leaving those to you guys who really appreciate them.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Dennis,

Nice - BTW I about fell out of my chair when I was reading your post, I thought you went for a 45-P in 67FS, but it was just 67 image. I use to own a 44-P in 67FS and sold it to Ray Overby, I know what they cost - Doh!

Cheers,

Brian
  • Options
    Brian:

A '44-P in 67FS? Now that is a serious Jeff!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2018 11:50AM

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    just want to add my name to the list of jeff 5c freaks.
  • Options
    Welcome Tommy!

You have one heck of a Jeff set there yourself. image

I don't suppose there's any chance of getting my hands on your 1950-D MS67 is there?
    When in doubt, don't.