Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Len Bias

Anybody notice they are selling some of his stuff on the Heritage Auction website. Whine about only 11 years of Munson, I would have taken that with Bias. Too bad

Comments

• Munson and Bias have nothing to do with one another. Why even put Munson in the post, knucklehead. You are just a troublemaker. The Bias situation was a tragedy. Why don't you give him his just due without the rest of the BS.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Just due? Crackhead who f-ed up his life. Bias deserves no sympathy.
  • jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    I just think it was a shame that he did what he did. It was a tradegy for the celtics, they never seemed to recover from losing him and RLewis.
  • I guess that the Celtics' scouts didn't spend any time with Bias and his homies in the hood to see what, if anything, he was into. I do believe it was a tragedy due to the fact that he evidentally had so much talent.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Did Bias ever have any cards produced?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Like so many people during the mid-80's, Bias got into cocaine. Call him weak, call him stupid, but to say he deserved what he got is inhuman. That's like saying everybody who has tried cocaine deserves to die. I guess I should be dead then, along with millions of people who tried it in the 80s when it was so popular. He wasn't a gangster, wasn't a toughguy, wasn't a bad seed. By all accounts he was the nicest kid you'd ever meet, a great teammate, an incredible talent, and didn't even get mixed in with the wrong crowd. You have to understand that in the mid 80s, you could go to just about any college party and cocaine was being passed around. He unfortunately got caught up in the mix. Also, at the time, cocaine wasn't linked to death like other drugs such as heroine and PCP- it was Bias' death that brought it's risks to the forefront.

Incidentally, Bias' death is the direct cause of stringent drug policies in the NFL, NBA, and MLB. So without his death, we probably would have never known about Lawrence Taylor, Strawberry, Gooden, Howe, and everybody else who tested positive. Also, there'd probably have been a lot more athletes that got hooked because the drug policies were so soft.

Lee
  • Dave, I'm pretty sure there were no cards produced of Bias, but I think there are one or two Maryland scedule cards with him on the front.

Lee
  • Bias got what he deserved. So did Chris Washburn, Kate Moss, Downey Jr., you name them. I have no sympathy for druggies, going to make or making big money. Stop defending them.
  • Did you hear that the Celtics are going to raise Len Bias' number in the garden?

-right next to the "coke" machine

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I would not usually spout off on touchy issue such as this, did he deserve what he got or not. I do not remember the exact details of what caused his death, but Republicaninmass that was completely classless. Not defending what he did by any means, but it is a tragedy in many ways that a person with such percieved talent was lost. His fault or not.

Stingray

• << <i>Bias got what he deserved. So did Chris Washburn, Kate Moss, Downey Jr., you name them. I have no sympathy for druggies, going to make or making big money. Stop defending them. >>

Let's just say here in Boston, we share the same thought
  • When somebody close to you dies of a drug overdose, see if that changes your line of thinking. It's like saying that somebody who has unprotected sex deserve to die of AIDS. Or that someone who smokes deserves to get lung cancer. They know the risks, but they choose to ignore them and roll the dice. Doesn't mean they deserve it.

Lee
    If I remember correctly, the Celtics traded Cornbread Maxwell for Bill Walton and what turned out to be the second pick of the draft. As a kid I thought the Celtics were the luckiest and smartest team ever. I know that it was his fault but it is too bad he never played. By all accounts he was not a drug user. It is just too bad he will be remembered for dying instead of playing.
  • Look, saying someone "deserved" to die sounds bad.

But on the other hand, to say

They know the risks, but they choose to ignore them and roll the dice. Doesn't mean they deserve it.

Makes no sense. To me at least, that's in fact exactly what it means. Yes, smokers deserve to get lung cancer etc. Guy smokes, guy gets lung cancer, smoking causes cancer, yup, he deserved to get cancer. Although maybe "deserve" isn't the right word. But it certainly is a reasonably expected outcome, and the person deserves no sympathy for ending up that way - And by that I don't mean he deserves no love, or compassion, and should just die.

Anyways, RipublicaninMass, you should've left the other joke up there. It was by far the more funny of the two... And in the end, the biggest tragedy about Lenny was his death prevented Larry from winning at least two more championships before he retired.
  • Wow...

• << <i>
    Anyways, RipublicaninMass, you should've left the other joke up there. It was by far the more funny of the two... And in the end, the biggest tragedy about Lenny was his death prevented Larry from winning at least two more championships before he retired. >>

I actually felt sorry for offending stingray my bad. I will be glad to PM anyone who would like the other joke.
  • Hate to break to all of you, but if every athlete who tried cocaine in the 70s and 80s died, I would say you would never have had the chance to see a lot of your coveted heroes play, including about 1/2 of the '86 Mets. I'm sure Bill Walton tried his fair share of drugs as well. It was a designer drug that only the rich could afford to do regularly, and athletes are rich and a lot of them like to party.

Lee
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

dont do drugs..

there will be more for me..
    ·p_A·
  • I guess by the logic of the guys in this thread pandrews deserves to die. Anybody want to rethink their stance?

Lee
  • I think it's somewhat arrogant of us all to even have this discussion. Why do we care so much about Len Bias or any other player dying, moreso than all the other people dying every minute? Obviously, because they're famous and we feel we "know" them, when of course none of us (usually) do. People die every day, and we care or feel the need to express compassion only for the famous ones, and that just seems wrong. To say we feel so sad or that he didn't deserve it to die, even though none of us knew him personally, and are only reacting to his death in particular in this way because he had the ability to entertain us.

I'm admittedly guilty of it myself all the time. I had a pseudo vigil the night after Sinatra died, at which I bought a nice bottle of Glen Livet Special Reserve (having never drank scotch before)....and haven't stopped drinking scotch since. Damn you Frank.
  • Lee,

No.

However, despite some of my previous posts, I in fact do not wish death upon my dear friend pandrews, nor would any compassionate person assert that someone deserves to die.

However, were he to die of a massive drug overdose, one would have a hard time convincing me that he was undeserving of that fate.. There's a difference.

Dave
  • So we've now been through Munson, Len Bias, that Angels guy in the 70s I'd never heard of, Tony C....

Anybody want to talk about Harris Agganis now? Now that was a real tragedy.
  • Scotch is great. And you kind of hit on my secondary point dg- Bias didn't have any more to lose than anybody else. He had loved ones, friends, and people he cared about and even if he had the chance to cash in, it's not like he can take fame and success with him. Do you think his mom was any more sad about his death than my mom would have been if it was me? That's why Hubcap's statement that anybody who does drugs when they're about to make big money is so ludicrous. Why do they "deserve" to die when somebody like me or you doesn't? Because they're about to be rich? Great argument.

Lee
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I need to see Allen's signature at a time like this...

<< <i>I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too. >>

I love that line. That being said this is an arguement where no one will sway the other side. People who think drugs are the ultimate evil and you deserve to pay the ultimate price of you do them will not back off their stance. People who have done drugs or condone the recreational use will never sway from that because they took the chance does not mean they deserved the negative consequences. Its just the way it is. I think you would have an easier time convincing Charlton Heston that he should not have the right to bear arms. Or better yet try convincing Jesse Jackson that everything isn't a race issue. There are just some beliefs that you cannot change in an individual.

I have not done drugs... well real drugs anyways. However I do condone the recreational use if someone so chooses to indulge however I do feel they should understand the consequences going into it. If those unfortunate events happen I do feel sorry for the person and I do not feel that they deserved it.

I think it is a tragedy about Len Bias and anyone for that matter who overdoses. It is an ugly scene and not one that should be wished upon anyone.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

lol.. wouldnt be the first time somebody told me i should die..

and i thought i was gonna die one night when i was on some really good (maybe bad) shrooms..
    ·p_A·
    I love scotch, scotch is great. A real tradegy would be if nobody had invented scotch. Makes games go by smoothly, woman more attractive and it tastes good.
  • zef,

Despite the fact that I just now vehemently disagreed with you on another thread (see you over there in a moment), I agree with everything you just wrote here (except the part about condoning recreational drug use).
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow... >>

Wow indeed.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • During my life I have seen my fair share of death in its many forms be it accidental or intentional and my way of keeping my sanity intact and moving on was to deal with the situation for what it was and to not make any moral judgement on wether it was deserved or not. That's something in my opinion that we should all leave to God,

• << <i>Bias got what he deserved. So did Chris Washburn, Kate Moss, Downey Jr., you name them. I have no sympathy for druggies, going to make or making big money. Stop defending them. >>

I actually agree with this. Despite growing up in the 70s and spending a majority of the 80s in college, I never ever did drugs. Anyone who justifies doing drugs because it was "popular" is sick, imo. I firmly believe in consequences of actions.
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    While I'm not a fan of Maryland, Len Bias, or the Boston Celtics, the reasoning some of you are giving is absurd. And while the hardest "drug" I've ever had is Jack Daniels and Budweiser (albeit quite often), to say someone "got what they deserved" is perhaps the sickest thing I've read on this board.

40,000+ Americans die every year in automobile accidents. You know the risk. Now if any of you crash and burn any time soon, I guess you had it comin'.

Gimme a break.

Shawn.
  • He was a dope head! Oh, to bad, so sorry.....................
  • Len Bias was the Celts firt pick (I believe second overall), but that's a long way from saying that he would have carried the team to countless future titles. He could of been superstar or could have flopped like so many touted college players.

Punishment is one thing, but DEATH for cocaine? So the experimental drug user, curious about sex teenager, car prowl kid who gets shot by the owner, etc. are on par with serial killers who also deserve to DIE?

I'm not coming from a throwing daisies and singing "It's a Small World After All" perspective, but I've found that those who are quick to play judge and jury tend to be generally hard lined about everything. Our strong dislike for someone is generally a reflection of what we don't like about ourselves.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • dgbaseball. Read this stupid, especially the part that the Celtics tested him beforehand and found nothing, so the "druggie" argument is a bit empty, much like your head.

Maryland Basketball Star Len Bias Is Dead at 22

Traces of Cocaine Found in System
    By Keith Harriston and Sally Jenkins
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    June 20, 1986

University of Maryland all-America basketball player Len Bias collapsed in his dormitory suite early yesterday morning and two hours later was pronounced dead of cardiac arrest at Leland Memorial Hospital in Riverdale.

Evidence of cocaine was found in a urine sample taken at the hospital as an emergency medical team labored from 6:50 to 8:50 a.m. to revive him, police sources said. Maj. James Ross, head of criminal investigations for Prince George's County police, said even if cocaine had been detected, it would not be possible to tell if that had contributed to Bias' death without further tests.

Medical experts said sudden cardiac arrest in a 22-year-old in apparent top physical shape could have been caused by cocaine, by a heart ailment that even frequent examinations might have missed, or by a combination of the two.

Sources said Bias passed a physical—including a urinalysis to test for drugs—administered May 27 by the Boston Celtics, who Tuesday made him the No. 2 overall pick in the National Basketball Association draft. Bias showed no sign of a heart ailment in yearly team physicals, including a special study to look for hidden heart disease, and no evidence of drug use in urine tests late last season, according to University of Maryland physicians.

From interviews with Bias' family, teammates and friends, a picture of his last hours emerges: He flew in from Boston with his father, went to the family home in landover about 11 p.m., arrived at College Park around midnight, ate crabs in his dormitory suite with teammates and a member of the football team until about 2 a.m., drove off alone and was seen at an off-campus gathering, and returned to his dorm about 3 a.m. He collapsed some time after 6 a.m., while talking with teammate Terry Long.

Bias was unconscious and was not breathing when county ambulance attendants arrived at his dormitory suite at 6:36 a.m.—four minutes after they were called and six minutes before a mobile intensive care unit arrived—and he never regained consciousness nor breathed on his own, said Dr. Edward Wilson, chief emergency room physician at Leland Memorial.

Bias's body was taken to the state medical examiner's office in Baltimore yesterday for an autopsy. Dr. John E. Smialek, Maryland's chief medical examier, said it would be seven to 10 days before complete autopsy results are obtained.

"We are not releasing any preliminary results,' said Smialek. "We will wait until everything is properly evaluated."

The county's homicide unit is investigating, as is routine, but a spokesman sad no foul play is suspected. All five teammates who shared the suite with Bias will be questioned, Detective Paul Noblitt said. Keith Gatlin was taken in shortly after 11 o'clock last night.

Bias' sister Michelle said she was told her brother was talking with Long on a couch in their dormitory suite in Washington Hall when he collapsed. A fire department spokesman, Maj. Thomas Brinkley, said Long was administering cardiopulmonary resuscitation when the county ambulance arrived. It could not be determined who placed the call for assistance.

"He was sitting on the couch with Terry Long," said Michelle Bias, who was not at the dorm, "and he laid back like he was going to sleep and he started to have a seizure."

Details of what Bias did between midnight and 6:30 a.m. were vague. His sister said Bias and their father, James, flew in from Boston and drove directly to their home in Landover. "He (Bias) left home at 11:30 p.m. to go back to the dorm," Michelle Bias said.

Keeta Covington, a defensive back on the Maryland football team, said he was in the dorm suite when Bias arrived. Covington said he, Long, Bias and basketball players Gatlin, David Gregg and Jeff Baxter ate crabs and talked about the Celtics and Bias' future until about 2 a.m. at which point Bias left.

"He got tired of all the questions," Covington said. "He'd had microphones in his face for two days. We were just like the reporters. We were curious, only without pencils and microphones."

Covington said he walked with Bias to the parking lot, where he said Bias told him "I'm getting away from here." Covington placed the time at "2 or 2:15."

Covington said Bias was merely tired of all the attention, not ill. "As far as feeling sick, bad—nothing," he said. "He was trying to get away from the phone."

Bias drove off alone in his newly purchased Nissan 300ZX, Covington said. "I was under the impression he was going to see a lady," he said.

David Driggers, a friend with whom Bias often played pickup basketball games, said he saw Bias at a small gathering on Cherry Hill just off campus. "He stopped by and said how excited he was and talked for a while," Driggers said.

Driggers said there was no alcohol or drugs at the gathering. "Just soda," he said.

Driggers placed Bias at the party "around 2, 2:30," and Covington was quoted as saying Bias returned to campus about an hour after his departure—which would have been about 3 a.m.

What happened between then and the time of Bias' collapse in the suite (shared by him, Baxter, Long, Gatlin, Gregg and teammate Phil Nevin) could not be determined. Long was not available to comment and Gregg declined to discuss it.

Nevin said he was out for most of the night and early morning, and when he returned he immediately went to bed, without seeing anyone. He said he awoke when the paramedics were taking Bias out.

Asked if he had seen any evidence of drug use, Nevin said, "I didn't see anything, but the police are going through it (the suite) with a fine-tooth comb."

Baxter and Gatlin both said they fell asleep earlier in the evening, and Gatlin said when he awoke he saw Bias on the floor and paramedics in attendance.

"I was in a state of shock," Gatlin said. "I was worried about Lenny, he was on the floor. All my teammates and I just rushed up, got dressed, shorts or anything, and followed him to the hospital. I called his mother and just told her that Len had a seizure and they were taking him to the hospital, and she said, 'Okay, I'm going.'"

Neither of Bias' parents was available for comment yesterday.

At the hospital, Wilson said Bias "was unconscious . . . he never spontaneously began breating on his own. He had no organized heartbeat."

Wilson said Bias was given five drugs in an attempt to revive him: sodium epinephrine (which he described as "basically adrenaline"), sodium bicarbonate (to normalize the acidity in his bloodstream), lidocaine (to control hyperactivity and any irregular heartbeat), calcium (to stimulate the heart muscle) and bretyline (a "secondary drug to control irregularity of the heart").

After the chemicals failed, Wilson said, a pacemaker was implanted in the heart muscle to try to get it beating. That also failed, he said.

Outside the hospital, Reginald Adams, a friend of Bias' and a player at Drexel University in Philadelphia, said he received a phone call at 7:30 a.m. from a mutual friend who said she was with Bias when he was stricken. "The only thing she said was he had problems breathing. He was breathing hard, getting cramps, then he just keeled over."

The woman's identity could not be determined.

In the medical examiner's office in Baltimore, Smialek said only the "initial phase" of the postmortem was completed.

Smialek said he had heard reports the hospital had found traces of cocaine in Bias' urine, but refused to say whether the medical examiner's office had found anything to suggest drug involvement.

"We obtained some of the urine sample that the hospital got and we are in the process of testing it, along with other samples obtained during the autopsy," said Smialek. "I'm not going to give any preliminary indication of anything so there are no misconceptions."

Washington Post staff writers Sandra Bailey, Tom Kenworthy, Eugene L. Meyer, Ed Nicklas and Dave Sell contributed to this report.

<< <i>Look, saying someone "deserved" to die sounds bad.

But on the other hand, to say

They know the risks, but they choose to ignore them and roll the dice. Doesn't mean they deserve it.

Makes no sense. To me at least, that's in fact exactly what it means. Yes, smokers deserve to get lung cancer etc. Guy smokes, guy gets lung cancer, smoking causes cancer, yup, he deserved to get cancer. Although maybe "deserve" isn't the right word. But it certainly is a reasonably expected outcome, and the person deserves no sympathy for ending up that way - And by that I don't mean he deserves no love, or compassion, and should just die.

Anyways, RipublicaninMass, you should've left the other joke up there. It was by far the more funny of the two... And in the end, the biggest tragedy about Lenny was his death prevented Larry from winning at least two more championships before he retired. >>

• I'm sure Len Bias' parents and sister would disagree with you that he deserved to die, and that their other son deserved to get shot and die 10 years later you sick animal.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Frolico-
    The things you compare make no sense in my opinion. Smoking to breast cancer? Smoking is an active choice and breast cancer is not; they don't compare. Your 9/11 theory is totally inane and has basically no application here that I can see!? OR maybe I am just not smart enough to get your brillant points!? Lots of threats too!? Why the anger Frolico? As Frankie said, "RELAX!"
  • If you didn't get it from what I just said, you never will. I'm sure you also see nothing wrong with what dgbaseball said, so it would be a waste of time to attempt to further explain anything to you.
    please die newbie.
    ·p_A·
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭