Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What to do with a seller who is asking for Feedback...

I have been doing a lot of buying lately, working on my 1961 topps set as well as 1981 Donruss Golf.

I recently won an auction for one PSA 7 '61 Topps card. I paid via Paypal same day the auction ended. About 4 days later I get an email from the seller:

"FEEDBACK????????????"

That just ticked me off! He has not yet left feedback for me, I paid within hours of auction end, what else can I do? The to top it off he is asking for feedback from me before I have even received the card.

I think this is really a poor practice from sellers. If you provide good product and ship in a timely manner, accurately describe your cards, why would you need to worry about feedback? Maybe I just expect from others the same service I try to provide.

Dave

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

Comments

• Options
    Dave, I could not agree with u more. Even though it is extremely trivial, it frustrates me a great deal. This past Sunday. A 67 McCovey went on for buy it now. I emailed the seller IMMEDIATELY & asked if I payed immediately, would I get my card asap. Well, he answered yes. Soon as I paid, I have not heard from him since. Thought for sure card would be here. But it was not. Now there is nothing to show that I will not get the card. (LET ME MAKE THAT CLEAR) I am sure I will get it by Sat at the latest. But, he has not left feedback or contacted me when the card has shipped. I know it is not a big deal, but I guess when u work a long day & u r looking for ur new piece of ancient cardboard in the mail. Its a bummer!

And am totally in the belief that the seller leaves feedback first. He got the money first so he should leave feedback first. When I sell & receive money, I leave feedback the day I receive payment. To me, it is common courtesy.
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    Dave,

Just send him a polite e-mail stating that feedback is pending on item delivery. Explain that you are simply waiting to get the item. Maybe he will learn a little ebay ettiquette. A really good seller worries little about timeliness of feedback as they don't worry about what the buyer thinks about the item because they know its legit. Feedback doesn't rule my world. I sell quality product with the best picture and desciption/disclosure I can muster. It brings what it brings and I send it off.

Damian
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I think we had a thread on this and it evolved into someone (who added no constructive comments) stating that nobody cared about this subject, but in fact a lot of people do. When buyers hold back feedback, they are doing it for one reason only, to play it in case you do not like your product. There is no other reason to explain it. It is a poor practice to ask someone who made the first move, to give feedback first. Bad business, nothing else.

And to all the sellers who do this, they are just causing the scams to proliferate even more, sorry, but thats what is happening. What would you sellers who wait to give feedback do if a buyer negs you for a reason he deems valid? You would neg him back, no doubt. But is it his fault? Should he receive a neg because you don't agree with him? Of course not.

There is no right answer and ebay is partially to blame for allowing false feedback to stand, but the sellers who are true businessmen know that leaving feedback first is the right way, those who don't are just ebayers. Sorry if the post offends anyone, but like they say, opinions are like ----------, and I have one.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I agree with everything stated. This seller seems to be new, only 150 or so feedback. I will leave a positive feedback like I always do when I receive what I paid for. I just don't like the practice some sellers use to protect their feedback. Good sellers do NOT NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME.

Dave

• Options
    "FEEDBACK????????????"

Maybe he was asking you if it was OK for him to leave feedback.image

It's not right but what can you do?? Just last night, I left feedback for something that I received a couple days ago and sure enough, there was feedback left for me this morning.

Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    This irks me also. After I've paid for the card, I've done my part...the seller should leave me FB first. The ones who refuse to do so until I've left mine, don't get repeat business.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

As of this year for myself as a buyer, i will no longer leave feedback unless it has been left me. As a seller, as soon as i receive payment i leave feedback whether i get it back or not.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭

<< <i>Dave,

Just send him a polite e-mail stating that feedback is pending on item delivery. Explain that you are simply waiting to get the item. Maybe he will learn a little ebay ettiquette. A really good seller worries little about timeliness of feedback as they don't worry about what the buyer thinks about the item because they know its legit. Feedback doesn't rule my world. I sell quality product with the best picture and desciption/disclosure I can muster. It brings what it brings and I send it off.

Damian >>

I'd do something similar, while putting the ball in his court:

"It is my policy to leave feedback once I've received the item. I have not received the item yet. However, being that I have already paid you and completed my end of the deal, I would appreciate if you could take the time to leave me the feedback you feel appropriate. Thank you."
  • Options
    Feedback Nazi's get on my nerves. I usually sell in bunches, and once most are paid for, I will leave appropriate feedback for them all because it's easier that way. I can leave feedback for 100 people in a minute, or I can go to the feedback forum every day and spend several minutes figuring out who has paid for what and leave it that day. It's more of a time management thing for me, but I do eventually leave feedback for every transaction, it just might take a week or two. I certainly don't expect my buyers to leave feedback immediately, just as long as they do it eventually I'm fine with it. Also, leaving feedback is definitely a courteous and perhaps the "right" thing to do, but it's certainly not something that should be demanded. If you don't get it from one or two people, is that really a battle that's worth fighting? Are you really losing anything by not getting those two positives? In my opinion it's a waste of time and energy to focus on something so trivial (not feedback in general, but nitpicking over one or two transactions), especially since most of the ebay community follows through with leaving feedback.

Lee
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< The to top it off he is asking for feedback from me before I have even received the card. >>>

That is one f**ked up seller. If you care to...post the auction or his ebay name and I for one will never buy from him.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Reply to his email this way:

<<FEEDBACK???????>>

HUMPBACK?????????
    FASTBACK?????????
    ACHINGBACK???????
    BACKACHE?????????
    BACKPANEL????????
    BACKSIDE?????????..................

BACKOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the seller made a mistake? It seems awfully strange to ask for feedback before the item would have arrived. I wonder if he confused you with another buyer who had bought something earlier? The whole feedback hostage issue is different. In that argument there are two sides (whether you are a buyer or a seller you might see it differently). However, with your situation there is no rationale seller that would expect feedback BEFORE the item arrives. I think it's just a mistake. Good luck.
  • Options
    The Outcome...

I left a Nuetral feedback for the very slow shipping.

I received a Negetive feedback. Big surprise.

What I expected I guess.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Reply to his email this way:

<<FEEDBACK???????>>

HUMPBACK?????????
    FASTBACK?????????
    ACHINGBACK???????
    BACKACHE?????????
    BACKPANEL????????
    BACKSIDE?????????..................

BACKOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

you fogot back-ne like back acne ewww
    Thi is taken from my favorite ebay seller:
    1. Feedback policy. When someone buys something from us, we leave feedback right away! We don't play the "wait and see" game. WE HATE THE WAIT AND SEE GAME!! We believe that when a buyer pays for an item, the buyer has earned positive feedback. It's then up to the seller to provide the product advertised, and feedback should be left (by the buyer) accordingly.
    Way, way too many sellers hold feedback "hostage." In other words, I'll leave you positive feedback ONLY if you do the same for me.

Feedback is earned by the buyer when payment is made--feedback is earned by the seller when the item is recieved. They are mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    hey 262runner-
    it wouldn't surprise me, if you posted your ebay id, or the seller's id, that he might suffer some sort of retaliation...
    well, at least we would all be able to avoid him.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hey 262runner-
    it wouldn't surprise me, if you posted your ebay id, or the seller's id, that he might suffer some sort of retaliation...
    well, at least we would all be able to avoid him. >>

possibley we could have had the same experiences witht he same seller too! Post it post it
  • Options
    Thanks for all the support and advice. I think I will just let this one go. I feel I did the right thing. My feedback from every other ebay seller I have bought from displays that I am a trustworthy buyer. I am not worried about 1 random retaliatory negetive feedback. At least I got the card and it fit very nicely into my set.

Dave

P.S. If anybody has any 1961 Topps Baseball in PSA 7 or 8 they would like to part with....

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If the card fit very nice into your set why then did you leave a neutral feedback? Doing so left you open for a neg. How late was the shipment? 2 weeks is what ebay claims is an ok time period.

In any event I am glad that the card you recieved was nice.

Ciao

Steve
    Good for you.