Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the rarest modern type coin, final mintage= 4,886? Not any more!

Does anyone know what the rarest modern type coin is with a final final mintage/sales figure of 4,886?

Comments

• Options

J Robinson $5
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Jackie Robinson Unc $5 ?????????
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robinson is 5174 per the 2005 Redbook. I'm guessing something platinum.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>Robinson is 5174 per the 2005 Redbook. I'm guessing something platinum. >>

Maybe the $100 Proof plat?
  • Options
    2004 platinum 1/10 oz?
    I'll tell you what to do.
    Go that way.
    Really fast.
    If something gets in your way, turn.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has to be one of the plat proofs. I'll bet Light12's right.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    I will guess 1995 Anaversery set, Westpoint mint?
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Does anyone know what the rarest modern type coin is with a final final mintage/sales figure of 4,886?"

YES, BUT I WILL NOT SPOIL THE FUN image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>I will guess 1995 ASE proof Westpoint mint? >>

Can't be, this has around 30k minted!
  • Options

<< <i>"Does anyone know what the rarest modern type coin is with a final final mintage/sales figure of 4,886?"

YES, BUT I WILL NOT SPOIL THE FUN image

Wondercoin >>

Ahh come on Mitch! Show us your vast amount of never ending knowledge! image

Zach
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light12 is closest thus far (mintage 6,846). But, not quite there.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Cheerios Wacagasea?
  • Options

<< <i>Robinson is 5174 per the 2005 Redbook >>

Is the Robinson now in "second, third... place"?
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    The key word is "type coin" image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2004 Platinum $100 (1oz)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    > 2004 Platinum $100

Don't you consider 2003 Platinum $100, 2002 Platinum $100, ...... etc that are the same type of coins? image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say the 2004 proof platinum $50 coin... man, I hope so... I'm sitting on one! image

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll say the 2004 proof platinum $50 coin... man, I hope so... I'm sitting on one! image >>

Does it jingle when you walk?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll say the 2004 proof platinum $50 coin... man, I hope so... I'm sitting on one! image >>

Does it jingle when you walk? >>

Maybe I should rephrase that.. image

So what's the answer, anyhow, Ericj96? Huh?
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    How about the 2003 proof plat 1/4 ounce? Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the uncirculated struck, 2000 W Bi-metallic piece commemorating the Library of Congress just might fit in the answer box.... but that's just a hunch.
  • Options
    Bump, I'm curious....
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Could it be the uncirculated CVC $5
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Kiyote wins the prize! The rarest type coin issued since the 1915 Pan Pac $50 slug is the 2004 Proof Platinum half at 4886 final mintage.
  • Options
    Kiyote,

Give me a call sometime at 770-377-3703.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i> 2004 Proof Platinum half at 4886 final mintage. >>

At least that answers my question of why that proof is so dang expensive.
  • Options
    I think I'll wait until the 2006 comes in with a lower mintage, then then the 2004 will trade slightly over melt. The 2005 has a low mintage but is on track to turn in numbers in the Low to mid 5000's. This just amazes, the 2003 has a mintage in the 6000's and can be had for near melt. image
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    Man,

You are correct. I could hardly believe a US seated liberty type coin issued last year was THAT rare! In a world of 250,000,000 mintages thats tiny.

Eric
  • Options
    Coin Hog, If they do come in under 4886 in 06 don't look for the 04 to trade cheap.. There comes a point at which a type coin is so rare in its own right it doesn't matter as much about a slightly rarer sibling. I would say 4,000 is getting there. Also if 06 does come in in the 3000s you will want to own one.....I will too Lord willing.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>I think I'll wait until the 2006 comes in with a lower mintage, then then the 2004 will trade slightly over melt. The 2005 has a low mintage but is on track to turn in numbers in the Low to mid 5000's. This just amazes, the 2003 has a mintage in the 6000's and can be had for near melt. image >>

Don't you just LOVE these coins???? I love that I can pick up something so rare at melt!! Just got 3 more 2003's @ melt + $7.00.
  • Options
    Yes the 03s are a good buy.......that coin was purchased in fairly large numbers by dealers and they are dumping their overhang. I know some of them personally. If you need 03s buy them now because when the overhang is gone they may tighten up. The dealers stayed clear of 04 due to the losses they suffered on the 03s.

Eric
  • Options
    The rarest modern type coin with final mintage of 8,886 is the one coin that I need to complete my registry set image
  • Options
    If only the Redbook would show the mintages from 2000 on, I think the interest would be a lot higher...
  • Options
    Kiyote,

Give me a call at 770-377-3703
  • Options
    Rox,

Go on ebay to the guy that got the 4 coin set and send him an e-mail. Tell him about your situation and ask him to sell you a 04 half. I have heard that he has some that he can part with and maybe he will not want an arm and a leg for it.

Eric
  • Options
    Even though the base price of platinum may be higher in '06, I look for the '06 mintage to up a good percentage over the last few years. Due to the increased number of saavy collectors and dealers, a mintage as low as 4,886 may never be seen again. (jmho)
  • Options
    Does anyone have a guess if they will stop selling the 05 proofs in December or will they run right up to April again? The 04's had a short run of Sept to April, what 7 months? The 05's have been out almostr 6 months and the numbers are still around 4000 for the $50 piece.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    My guess is the Sacagaweas struck on actual gold planchets.
  • Options
    The mint has a new policy of releasing coinage issues earlier in the year in order to capture more special occasion sales in the first few months. That being said the proof plats are about the last on the priority list for new releases. Expect the new 24k gold, existing gold eagles and silver eagles etc to get out first. IMHO think feb-march for the new 06 to come out but who knows?

Eric
  • Options
    Yes the experimental Sacs struck on gold are something like 12 pcs but they are the property of the US gov and have not been released to the public as far as I know.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    $50 APE unc-w 2006 sales of 2,677. For now...
  • Options

<< <i>Close 2577,

for now.

Eric >>

Yeah Eric, like I said: 2,577. Does that include the 4-coin set?

It's unbelievable the sales numbers on many of the plat proofs and W's. The lack of interest confounds me! With the larger plats the investor is noticeably tied to the fluctuation in PM price (which has potential to be a negative for several years), but with the 1/10 the PM is hardly a negative factor. The down side is very small and the upside is huge--platinum could easily go to $10,000 and ounce or people might wake up and realize the Mint sells fewer of the collector plats in a year than they do most of their other offerings in a week. Stick some/ANY of the plat sales numbers on the 2009 SAC or a Lincoln penny--you'd have a $20,000 coin made from junk metal! OH, and the plats are beautiful...

Dennis
  • Options
    Yes that includes the 4 coin set. I think it was around 500 of the individual $50 were sold. Glad I'm sitting on 1 of them.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    well?
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    See if I have this right. Top 10 non-error/variety U.S. moderns:

1. 2,577; 2006-W UNC $50 APE

2. 2,676; 2006-W UNC $25 APE

3. 3,068; 2006-W UNC $100 APE

4. 3,415; 2008-W UNC $50 APE

5. 3,544; 2006-W UNC $10 APE

6. 3,672; 2008-W PR $50 APE

7. 3,900; 2007-W UNC $25 APE

8. 3,909; 2008-W PR $25 APE

9. 3,930; 2007-W UNC $50 APE

10. 3,936; 2008-W UNC $25 APE

ALL under 4,000! WOW
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know what the rarest modern type coin is with a final final mintage/sales figure of 4,886? >>

<< <i>The rarest type coin issued since the 1915 Pan Pac $50 slug is the 2004 Proof Platinum half at 4886 final mintage >>

The only problem with your theory is that no type collectors actually collect these coins by type, or at least none of the type collectors I know do -- so is it really a type coin?

The mintages are undeniably low, no doubt, but to suggest that these will ever be collected by type collectors is fallacious, in my opinion.

Lowest mintage offical US mint issue modern -- clearly the plats win. Lowest mintage type coin -- not by the way the rest of the hobby defines type coins.

Respectfully...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Mike -- Is it your contention that most "type" collectors only collect coins that were put into circulation? I'm not disagreeing, just wondering...
  • Options
    Type collecting definition from the Red Book: Collecting by "design, denomination and composition"

If I only collect plats by design denomination and composition....that is do not collect them by date because i don't want the dated bullion coins except to have a reverse proof one from the early years I am by definition a type collector.

You may not consider me a type collector but I am.

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file