Home Metal Detecting
Options

Wet vs. dry ground?

Has anyone noticed that when the ground is really dry the signals seem to pop out alot more clearly. I have been detecting for many years, but just now have figured it out. It seems that when we go through a drought my finds always seem more frequently without as much trash than when it is wet and soggy. It may be just me. What do you guys think? -Dan

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always heard the opposite- that wet ground improves detecting depth, etc- but have never really noticed that big a difference one way or the other, personally.

I suppose it could depend on the degree mineralization in one's particular area.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I've always done better after a rain...when the ground is damp but not soaked....
  • Options
    I haven't noticed the difference, but I heard the same thing millennium and LM heard.

Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Well I guess I have found virgin territory. image I have been to places that I have never been before in my town and am finding some good finds! I am finding alot of clad and late silver. I bet if I had a better detector I would be able to go deeper. I may not neccesarily be able to dig that deep, but I may just find some older coins. -Dan