Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

guess who was sitting in the restaurant i manage............

mr mint with his wife i guess?? he had a 3,000 count box of cards going through them. i tried to check out what they were & all i saw was a mixture of 1960's in penny sleeves. the restaurant is in nj.

Comments

• Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    People say Mr. Mint is a pompous ass, but what really should matter is whether or not he's a fair guy to deal with when buying from him or selling to him. Based on his ads, he really likes to buy, so I'd be more interested in knowing how he is to deal with if I'm selling to him. Good? Fair? Not so good?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    So he carries 3,000 ct. boxes with him to lunch? Wow and I thought we liked cards.

Nothing goes with a big basket of ribs like some nice crisp Mantles...
  • Options

<< <i>People say Mr. Mint is a pompous ass, but what really should matter is whether or not he's a fair guy to deal with when buying from him or selling to him. Based on his ads, he really likes to buy, so I'd be more interested in knowing how he is to deal with if I'm selling to him. Good? Fair? Not so good? >>

That question is sure going to stir up a hornets nest.....
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Nothing goes with a big basket of ribs like some nice crisp Mantles...

Can you imagine what would happen if his wife dripped some barbecue sauce on one of those Mantles?
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he was just meeting the lady there to evaulate what she had... eh whatever..
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    As aggressive as Mr. Mint is, I wouldn't be surprised if he scanned local obituaries for older males, and then sent out a random flyer to the address of the deceased. Sounds tacky, but it could bring in some big hauls. The man dies, and his wife has no idea what his collection is worth nor how to go about finding out. BOOM, a timely arrival of a Mr. Mint flyer!
  • Options
    I remember reading in SCD's years ago, that he planned to retire by a certain age (I think it was 50, probably at least 5-7 years ago by now). Guess he still enjoys it.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Just finished reading T.J. Schwartz's regular column in this month's Tuff Stuff. He said that Mr. Mint purchased in excess of $400,000 worth of cards at the most recent National. What a great "job".......

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Did Mr. Mint really dislike PSA material some years ago, or am I confusing him with another so-called "mega buyer"?

rbd

edit: you can get a killer hernia lugging PSA material around from "show to show" (...gee! just one 660 card PSA graded set, will give me a hernia, if I "schlep it around"!)
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    He really disliked SGC, after they graded a fake and he sold it to Keith Olberman, who made Rosen buy it back, who went back to SGC and wanted his full profit, not what he paid for the card. He had only bought it after SGC said it was OK.
    It was a different SGC then.

T206 Doyle Fake

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>He really disliked SGC, after they graded a fake and he sold it to Keith Olberman, who made Rosen buy it back, who went back to SGC and wanted his full profit, not what he paid for the card. He had only bought it after SGC said it was OK.
    It was a different SGC then.

T206 Doyle Fake >>

I'm talkin' about before SGC! Didn't I read articles (i.e., "way back when!") about how he would never deal in PSA material" and "only by raw"? At least I thought it was him? Then, all of a sudden, "out of the blue" he came out with some "big-time-publicity" stating he now will begin to buy and sell PSA material! I remember, it was a big deal then, but was it Mr. Mint?

rbd
  • Options
    Yup. That was Rosen who claimed PSA would fall by the wayside. Seems Mr. Mints gem blazers were coming back 7's when grading became envogue. I believe I have a few of his old auction flyers stating something to the effect that there would be no returns if a grading company determined his cards not to be mint. I could be wrong but, with an ego like his, he thought he was the grading expert....
  • Options
    I was going to guess that it was Gemmy...or O'Axtell...or Madonna.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    In those old yellow SCD auction catalogs of his, he wasn't shy about expressing his feelings for slabbed cards and the "rolex crowd" that liked them, lol.

• Options
    PSA has helped level the playing field between buyers and sellers. That is a fact. So why WOULDN'T Rosen have been against such a development, PSA becoming the obvious leader/gold standard? The supply of pre 60's TRUE mint raw is dwindling fast I would have to believe, at least the stuff that gets into circulation (I believe that some of the best examples will NEVER see the inside of a graded slab quite frankly) ie the stuff that will become "available" for purchase on Ebay and in on-line auctions.

I have only met the man once, and I can confidently say that he has little patience for sub-standard raw. I produced, what eventually graded a PSA 6 '52 Topps Snider, to the man raw, and he just gave it a once-over and quickly handed back the specimen. I was only asking EX SMR for it, and he declined.

I bet Mr. Rosen knows of every General Store in every po-dunk town this side of the Mississippi in his search for "finds"... lmao

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    " People say Mr. Mint is a pompous ass, but what really should matter is whether or not he's a fair guy to deal with when buying from him or selling to him. Based on his ads, he really likes to buy, so I'd be more interested in knowing how he is to deal with if I'm selling to him. Good? Fair? Not so good?"

"That question is sure going to stir up a hornets nest....."

What about if the women he was with wasn't his wife?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I have heard stories (true?) that a person came to him with some cards (type and year?) and he went through them and and gave them a take it or leave it type offer, no negotiation. In fact I think there was a story from one of the board members here a while ago about how he was setting up at show and Mr. Rosen came to there table, before they were set up and started going through thier boxes and pulling out cards he wanted to buy, before they were even completely set up.

Stingray
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Mr Mint w/ a lady friend?

IMPOSSIBLE

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Mr. Mint and his lady friend. A true match made in heaven if I do say so myself. image

• Options

<< <i>Mr. Mint and his lady friend. A true match made in heaven if I do say so myself. image

image >>

hahaahahhahahahaha, he does get to buy before the doors are even open for the shows. He is only set up to buy. He has big banners promoting himself, and little to no cards for sale. Him, and his team of croanies search the crowd for anyone holding a briefcase, knapsack or paperbag and ask them "whacha gut, sumfin to sell?".
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    What is his background, does anyone know how he accumilated his wealth if he is not buying and selling. What is he doing with all of his cards if he is never selling any of them?

Stingray
  • Options
    Just go to his website. He'd be more than happy to tell you how he ended up where he is.....
  • Options

<< <i>People say Mr. Mint is a pompous ass, but what really should matter is whether or not he's a fair guy to deal with when buying from him or selling to him. Based on his ads, he really likes to buy, so I'd be more interested in knowing how he is to deal with if I'm selling to him. Good? Fair? Not so good? >>

Fair guy to deal with? HA! I think the inherent problem with him is that grading in and of itself throws a bone into his business model. Buy cheap, overgrade and get the sellers to believe that their stuff is in bad shape.
  • Options

<< <i>What is his background, does anyone know how he accumilated his wealth if he is not buying and selling. What is he doing with all of his cards if he is never selling any of them?
    >>

Owned a vacuum company, dealt in rare coins, and then sold his vacuum business to get into cards. Something like that. The timeline might be off, but the three major components are household cleaning products, coins, and cardboard. Either way, he's a jackass.
  • Options
    Actually it was copy machines.......
  • Options
    Do you really want to buy rare valuable pieces of paper from a man who made is fortune in the duplication buisness? LOL j/k
  • Options
    Good guy to sell to also. Lets see. He buys a card for 8,000.00, sells it for 23,000.00........
    He only bought it because SGC told him it was real. It wasnt. SGC offered to give him the 8,000 he spent. He wanted the 23,000 he would have collected. Kajones grande........
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i think he looks like howie mandell

·p_A·
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Do you really want to buy rare valuable pieces of paper from a man who made is fortune in the duplication buisness? LOL j/k >>>

Maybe he's duplicating those $100 bills - LOL. I wouldn't buy a used car or anything from that guy.
  • Options

<< <i>i think he looks like howie mandell
    image >>

Whats up with the Lee Murray? I tried searching the web to see if anything happened?
    (sorry for the thread hijack)
  • Options

<< <i>Whats up with the Lee Murray? I tried searching the web to see if anything happened?
    (sorry for the thread hijack) >>

he's a mma fighter from the UK.. a couple nights ago a brawl broke out at some club over there and he ended up being stabbed in the chest several times.. he's in critical condition..

the guy gets involved in too many streetfights, he should keep it in the ring..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    speaking of streetfights...I saw a beauty the other night outside fenway. Better than any ufc or mma match I ever saw.

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    I knew Lightning Lee was MMA ,but he hasnt fought in a bit (that I knew of at least)
  • Options

<< <i>speaking of streetfights...I saw a beauty the other night outside fenway. Better than any ufc or mma match I ever saw.

>>

dont get me wrong, i LOVE a good streetfight, they're just dangerous as hell.. heh..

baseballfanatic- i think Lee last fought in 2004 (legal mma fights, anyway)
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

Fair guy to deal with? HA! I think the inherent problem with him is that grading in and of itself throws a bone into his business model. Buy cheap, overgrade and get the sellers to believe that their stuff is in bad shape. >>

Great point. It's a lot harder to convince someone that their graded card is "worthless" than their raw card. Imagine when the widows and ex-spouses start bringing him boxes of graded cards, with a copy of the SMR under their arm?
  • Options
    he was in again today!
  • Options
    I never imagined Mr. Mint would eat at Denny's twice in three days....