Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A BVG hack job..........................

Occasionally I will buy BVG graded material with the thought of cracking and resubmitting. About 2 weeks ago I bought a 1961 Mantle BVG 7 off of Ebay. Subgrades 7.5 centering, 6.5 corners, 7 surface, and 8 edges. I've noticed that if BVG undergrades anything, it's the corners so I thought it was a reasonable risk.

I was wrong.

I got the card, and one corner was about half dog-eared, and the others were barely EX-MT quality. This raised my suspicions so I looped the card and sure enough, there were two small light creases on the back near the top of the card. The creases did not go through to the front, but still.....................ARRGH.

I actually work in the building next to Beckett's offices in Dallas so I decided to take the card over to them yesterday. After about 30 minutes of waiting, they came out and said the card was overgraded and should be a 6. They offered to regrade it and give me $150 worth of free grading. Fortunately the seller actually had a return policy, so rather than do that I'm sending the card back to the seller today.

I'll post a scan of the card tonight, but in the meantime, what do y'all think of what Beckett offered me?
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Might be worth it if you have a bunch of modern stuff you would really like to get rid of, but wouldn't otherwise want to spend any money on getting graded.

I don't hate BGS/BVG, but personally speaking, I don't do business with them any more. They seem very inconsistent. From my own personal experience, they grade ridiculously hard sometimes while other times, they let glaring problems slide. Obviously, they have some training issues on their end with their graders. Either that, or their retention rate is very low and they are constantly going through new personel.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    "Either that, or their retention rate is very low and they are constantly going through new personel."

That is what I understand the problem to be. They are constantly looking for graders.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    It's so hot. Milk was a bad choice.

Lee
  • Options
    What? You know I don't know Spanish!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>You are a smelly pirate hooker. >>

Aargh! I's curious as to yer quote, sir.
  • Options
    It's an "Anchorman" quote. Taken from the most stylish man on the planet...Ron Burgundy.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Sex Panther. It's made from bits of real panther. It's guaranteed to work 60% of the time, all of the time.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    That is what I understand the problem to be. They are constantly looking for graders.

You mean there's a shortage of grown men in Texas who want to stare at cardboard through a loop all day? Wow, would've thought that?

Regarding the offer, I think they should have bought the card from you as a 7 and then auctioned it off with the proper grade.

• Options
    Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Times are changing drunky.
    Women got rights and stuff now man...

HUH?

JUlen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    I know that one day Veronica and I are gonna to get married on top of a mountain, and there's going to be flutes playing and trombones and flowers and garlands of fresh herbs. And we will dance till the sun rises! And then our children will form a family band! And we will tour the countryside and you won't be invited!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards